Tenman Festival - Osaka

  • Greve Gabi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2012
      Tenmansai Tairo ni aishi hito mo ari

      Tenman Festival -
      some people come to meet
      poet Tairo

      Yosa Buson

      Haiku Poet Yoshiwake Tairo 吉分大魯
      (1730 - 1778) 吉分為虎
      He was a student of Buson in Osaka. Tairo died of illness in Kyoto.
      .

      More about the Tenmangu Shrine Festival in Osaka, a kigo
      http://darumapilgrim.blogspot.com/2004/02/tenman-gu-dazaifu.html

      Enjoy Japanese Culture via Haiku
      Gabi
    • lbolenyc
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2012
        According to Blyth, Tairo, "who died in 1778, was a pupil of Buson, originally a samurai, but later a haikai teacher."

        Here are some of his haiku translated by Blyth:

        tabibito no zeni otoshitaru shimizu kana

        Clear water;
        A traveller
        Has dropped some money into it.

        tomoshibi ni koureru fude wo kogashi keri

        The frozen brush
        Was burnt
        In the flame of the lamp.

        (alternate translation by Blyth)

        I burnt
        The frozen brush
        In the lamp-flame.

        (Blyth points out that he ruined the brush while attempting to thaw it. Blyth calls this haiku "...and expression of loneliness, inevitable, and of no ulterior meaning.")

        omoidete niwa haku haru no yuube kana

        Suddenly thinking of it,
        I went out and was sweeping the garden:
        A spring evening.

        yamakage ya na no hana sakinu hara suginu

        In the shade of the hill,
        Rape-flowers have bloomed;
        Spring is over.

        botan orishi chichi no ikari zo natsukashiki

        The peonies;
        On breaking one, my father's anger!
        Now I yearn for it.

        yama-kaze ya arare fukikomu uma no mimi

        The mountain blast!
        The hail is driven
        Into the horse's ear.

        te ni modoru taka no manako ni irihi kana

        The sun,
        In the eye of the falcon
        That returned to my hand.

        --Larry