Re: Nara and Haiku

  • ortig
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      --- In translatinghaiku@yahoogroups.com, Greve Gabi <gokurakuatworldkigo@...> wrote:

      > kiku no ka ya Nara ni wa fukuki hotoketachi
      >
      > fragrance of chrysanthemums -
      > in Nara there are so many
      > old Buddha statues
      >
      > Matsuo Basho
      >
      > . . . . .
      >

      > yuku aki ya Nara wa koji furubotoke
      >
      > autumn is passing -
      > in Nara there are old temples
      > and old Buddha statues
      >
      > Masaoka Shiki
      >
      > . . . . .
      >
      > Read more about the old capital and haiku. This year we celebrate 1300
      > years of it !
      > http://darumapilgrim.blogspot.com/2010/07/nara-ancient-capital.html
      >
      > Gabi

      Dear Gabi,

      I wonder if a word is missing in Shiki's haiku? I thought it could read:

      yuku aki ya nara wa koji nari furubotoke

      Of course the text holds the way you wrote it. This is just a wild guess.

      Best regards,

      José Lira
    • Greve Gabi
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010

        >> kiku no ka ya Nara ni wa fukuki hotoketachi
        >>
        >> fragrance of chrysanthemums -
        >> in Nara there are so many
        >> old Buddha statues
        >>
        >> Matsuo Basho
        >>
        >> . . . . .
        >>

        >> yuku aki ya Nara wa koji furubotoke
        >>
        >> autumn is passing -
        >> in Nara there are old temples
        >> and old Buddha statues
        >>
        >> Masaoka Shiki
        >>
        >> . . . . .
        >>
        >> Read more about the old capital and haiku. This year we celebrate 1300
        >> years of it !
        >> http://darumapilgrim.blogspot.com/2010/07/nara-ancient-capital.html
        >>
        >> Gabi
        >>

        > Dear Gabi,
        >
        > I wonder if a word is missing in Shiki's haiku? I thought it could read:
        >
        > yuku aki ya nara wa koji nari furubotoke
        >
        > Of course the text holds the way you wrote it. This is just a wild guess.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > José Lira

        Dear Jose,
        thanks a lot for reading so closely.
        I checked the sources again, the kanji are right, but the reading of
        KOJI in thie context is
        furudera

        yuku aki ya Nara wa furudera furubotoke

        That sounds a lot better !