The SRT. The answer to Toronto's traffic problems

  • Michael Binetti
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi
      Vancouver's newest subway opened. And as everyone knows the subway is the same as our SRT line.

      But the thing I found interesting. Was that for just over 1 billion dollars, Vancouver got something like 29KM of new rapid transit.

      While for one million Toronto got 6KM of new rapid transit.

      Everyone makes fun of the SRT. But maybe the SRT is the way to go. We could built so much rapid transit for one billion.

    • Michael Tham
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
        that could be true. the srt got off on the wrong foot. it was desgined as
        a high-speed streetcar route, but was finished as a "mini subway". if it
        were designed like the vancouver skytrain were, it would be a HUGE success.
        but instead the government was too late in presenting the cars to toronto
        and we now have a costly (but still moderately effective) srt. bad
        timing.........

        >From: "Michael Binetti" <mtb.1@...>
        >To: <transit-toronto@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: <Transit-Toronto> The SRT. The answer to Toronto's traffic
        >problems
        >Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:43:27 -0400
        >
        >Hi
        >Vancouver's newest subway opened. And as everyone knows the subway is the
        >same as our SRT line.
        >
        >But the thing I found interesting. Was that for just over 1 billion
        >dollars, Vancouver got something like 29KM of new rapid transit.
        >
        >While for one million Toronto got 6KM of new rapid transit.
        >
        >Everyone makes fun of the SRT. But maybe the SRT is the way to go. We could
        >built so much rapid transit for one billion.

      • Stephen van Egmond
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
          Michael Binetti (mtb.1@...) wrote:
          > While for one million Toronto got 6KM of new rapid transit.

          ???

          Are you saying the SRT cost $1million to build?
        • Daniel Garcia
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
            Typo, and a misunderstanding...

            Mike meant "...for one billion...", instead of
            million.

            That one billion dollars was spent on the Sheppard
            subway, which is a little more than 6 km (6.4).

            Dan

            --- Stephen van Egmond <svanegmond@...>