re: Toronto-area rail diamonds

  • Stan Salter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 8:14 AM
      Just a question how many rail-rail grade crossings are there in the Toronto
      area. 2 of them are very close at West Toronto and Osler.

      I belive part of the reason for the Georgetown Train going slow is the
      rail-rail grade crossing and then the level crossing at Junction Rd and Old
      Weston Rd at the old West Toronto Station.

      >Now, about rail-rail grade croosings, why does the Georgetown Train
      >crawl along from Bloor past St. Clair? I know that there is a rail-rail
      >crossing, but if the signal gives the clear, why does the train have to
      >crawl? And at the point where the track goes from two to one, why does
      >the train crawl along that too? Are these derail risks?

      >This is a valid point. West Toronto serves more operations than any >other
      >rail-rail crossing. It would, however, also likely be the most >expensive
      >to remedy.
      >A diamond you missed is Davenport, where the CN Newmarket Sub
      >crosses the CP North Toronto Sub. It's used by GO Bradford
      >trains and VIA no. 1, and would be used by any future GO North
      >Toronto trains.

      >GO Milton does not go over the at grade crossing at West Toronto.
      >And you missed some. GO Bradford/VIA Canadian also goes across CP east >of
      >Osler/west of North Toronto at grade.

    • Daniel Garcia
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 9:10 PM
        It's probably just a temporary slow order. The speed
        limit on the Weston Sub is 30mph, and usually the GO
        Trains are already going that fast after leaving Bloor
        Station.

        I remember that there was a slow order there in the
        winter because of a cracked rail at the diamond...what
        are the chances that the order hasn't been lifted?

        Dan