ICOM IC-2200H to OT2 setup

  • w6dlf
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
      I'm new to this group and have looked for information to set up the IC-2200H without success. Specifically I'm wondering about the need for the UT-118 digital unit to be installed. Is it necessary, useful? Also any guidelines for connection would be helpful. Tnx.

      Dave
      W6DLF
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        The UT-118 is for D-Star only. Install it to use the D-Star system.

        The Tracker2 would connect to the MiniDIN is that radio has one or through the mic and speaker port.

        Best regards,
        Fred

        I'm new to this group and have looked for information to set up the IC-2200H without success. Specifically I'm wondering about the need for the UT-118 digital unit to be installed. Is it necessary, useful? Also any guidelines for connection would be helpful. Tnx.

        Dave
        W6DLF

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          The UT-118 is for D-Star only. Install it to use the D-Star system.

          The Tracker2 would connect to the MiniDIN is that radio has one or through the mic and speaker port.

          Fred is correct. The UT-118 is if you want the 2200 to work on D-star. Not necessary for using it on APRS.
          There is no data plug on the 2200 in the sense that it is for hooking up a tnc or aprs tracker. If you want to us the 2200 for aprs you will have to connect your tnc/tracker of choice up to the mic and speaker jacks, and be aware of the volume control level if you wanting to decode signals from off the air.

          73,
          Randy
          WF5X

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
            On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM, w6dlf <daveflack@...> wrote:

            > I'm new to this group and have looked for information to set up the
            > IC-2200H without success.  Specifically I'm wondering about the
            > need for the UT-118 digital unit to be installed.  Is it necessary,
            > useful?  Also any guidelines for connection would be helpful.  Tnx.

            Perhaps give us a little bit of information to go on. What are you
            looking to do with the IC-2200H?

            I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you want to interface it
            with an OT2, since you're on the tracker2 list. However I could be
            wrong, as you are also talking about adding D*Star capabilities to the
            rig with the UT-118.

            Do not confuse the D*Star digital mode with APRS. The GPS input talked
            about in the manual is for talking to the D*Star module. The mic
            connector pinout is on page 2 of the user manual.

          • Dave Flack
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
              The purpose is in the header, but I should have included it in the body of the message as well.

              Dave
              W6DLF
            • Fred Hillhouse
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
                Hi Dave,

                Actually I did answer the question in the subject line. My answer was just shorter than expected probably. I was heading out, it had to be short.

                I read the manual this morning and found out:

                The IC2200H does have a data port on the back but it is only for direct entry from a GPS or a PC. If you are using D-Star, then the radio can send position beacons. It can also do data. See the D-Rats page. I do that with my IC-U82 on occasion. Your beacon will get routed to APRS-IS via something like ARSD (?). Of course, you will need the UT-118 installed.

                This "data" port is not the usual port mentioned for connecting a TNC. The usual data port on the back of some radios is a Mini-DIN connector. This connector, which I have on the back of my FT1500, for instance, utilizes an audio signal for data. If that port is not available, then a TNC is connected through the microphone and speaker ports. For your case, the microphone connection is the one in the front and the speaker port is on the back next to the data port.

                Specifically how do you connect the radio to a Tracker2? Well, I can't answer that entirely. The OT2 audio in needs to connect to the speaker port. This way, what the radio hears is ported to the OT2. The microphone port will connect to the audio out of the OT2. The OT2 will generate packets which are to be sent. The OT2 must also control the PTT. I will assume at this point that wiring for a mobile rig will suffice but again I do not know.

                Since you live in Sunnyvale, I bet you have lots of access to D-Star repeaters. I would use my IC-2200 (if I had one) for D-Star and such and grab an FT-1500 for APRS. That way I would not have to constantly change out the connections. But that is me. ;)

                I run a FT-857D for voice (VHF/UHF and some HF) and a FT-1500 for APRS in the same vehicle.

                Soon, there should be a D-Star repeater within 4 miles of my home. I am looking forward to it. it will not replace anything else I have though.

                I hope this helps.

                Best regards,
                Fred
                N7FMH-9 Mobile
                PNRDVL W1 Digipeater

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
                  Edited

                  The UT-118 is for D-Star only. Install it to use the D-Star system.

                  The Tracker2 would connect to the MiniDIN if (was isthat radio has one or through the mic and speaker port.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred