D7 with Garmin cable

  • w6dlf
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      I guess when I bought the Garmin to Kenwood (D7) cable I didn't realize the limitations of the D7. The FAVORITES screen simply fills up with 75 stations. There are no directional indications for stations on the list. When selecting a particular FAVORITE all that is shown are the coordinates. I understand that MESSAGING is not support by the Kenwood rigs. Not blame anyone, but I'm suffering some buyer's remorse I guess.
      Dave
      W6DLF
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        Messaging through a nuvi isn't supported on the Kenwoods, anyway. You
        can still message on the Kenwood itself, which is tedious but doable.
        I've used my D7 for messaging more than anything else. Mostly for
        commanding T2s.

        Unfortunately the D7 doesn't put out any symbol or comment data, so the
        GTRANS doesn't have much to work with. The GTRANS could generate
        direction and distance information, but it'd only be updated when the
        waypoint (favorite) is created, which wouldn't be terribly useful if
        you're moving.

        Scott

        w6dlf wrote:

        > I guess when I bought the Garmin to Kenwood (D7) cable I didn't realize
        > the limitations of the D7. The FAVORITES screen simply fills up with 75
        > stations. There are no directional indications for stations on the list.
        > When selecting a particular FAVORITE all that is shown are the
        > coordinates. I understand that MESSAGING is not support by the Kenwood
        > rigs. Not blame anyone, but I'm suffering some buyer's remorse I guess.
        > Dave
        > W6DLF

      • Dave Flack
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
          Thanks Scott. I'm still a bit confused about the nuvi Favorites
          list of stations with the D7. They are listed in ascending order
          by distance from my location. They seem to continue to collect
          and increase as there are now over 100 after a couple of days.
          As you know, the D7 itself collects a list of 40 and drops the
          oldest.

          I'm also not sure how Favorites work with the OT2 and other
          transceivers. I have seen screen shots with the Favorites
          listings, but I'm uncertain about the behavior of the
          data/listings. My concern is that I can't erase the list of
          Favorites on the nuvi 350 without also removing my custom POIs at
          the same time. Sorry about such a long question but I really
          want to understand what I can and can't do with the D7/cable/nuvi
          350 vs. another rig and the OT2. Maybe others with D7s can help
          out here. (I would be happy to put together a summary and upload
          it once I understand it myself.)

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
            The problem is that in the 350 there's no way to erase waypoints from
            the tracker side. I think the most popular solution for now is to keep
            your personal favorites on SD card, and then pop the SD card out when
            you erase everything.

            Scott

            Dave Flack wrote:

            > Thanks Scott. I'm still a bit confused about the nuvi Favorites
            > list of stations with the D7. They are listed in ascending order
            > by distance from my location. They seem to continue to collect
            > and increase as there are now over 100 after a couple of days.
            > As you know, the D7 itself collects a list of 40 and drops the
            > oldest.
            >
            > I'm also not sure how Favorites work with the OT2 and other
            > transceivers. I have seen screen shots with the Favorites
            > listings, but I'm uncertain about the behavior of the
            > data/listings. My concern is that I can't erase the list of
            > Favorites on the nuvi 350 without also removing my custom POIs at
            > the same time. Sorry about such a long question but I really
            > want to understand what I can and can't do with the D7/cable/nuvi
            > 350 vs. another rig and the OT2. Maybe others with D7s can help
            > out here. (I would be happy to put together a summary and upload
            > it once I understand it myself.)
            >
            > Dave
            > W6DLF

          • Pete Lilja
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
              Yep, the POI to SD card details are in the Wiki.

              Dave Flack wrote:

              > Thanks Scott. I'm still a bit confused about the nuvi Favorites
              > list of stations with the D7. They are listed in ascending order
              > by distance from my location. They seem to continue to collect
              > and increase as there are now over 100 after a couple of days.
              > As you know, the D7 itself collects a list of 40 and drops the
              > oldest.
              >
              > I'm also not sure how Favorites work with the OT2 and other
              > transceivers. I have seen screen shots with the Favorites
              > listings, but I'm uncertain about the behavior of the
              > data/listings. My concern is that I can't erase the list of
              > Favorites on the nuvi 350 without also removing my custom POIs at
              > the same time. Sorry about such a long question but I really
              > want to understand what I can and can't do with the D7/cable/nuvi
              > 350 vs. another rig and the OT2. Maybe others with D7s can help
              > out here. (I would be happy to put together a summary and upload
              > it once I understand it myself.)
              >
              > Dave
              > W6DLF

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Dave Flack
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
                Perfect!  Just what I needed to know.  Thanks much.

                Dave
                W6DLF