Re: [tracker2] Positioning Beaconing x1

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
      Randy Love wrote:
      > there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
      > group:
      > opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>

      Only one dash on EMAIL? ... Ah, I get it. That's using the EMAIL
      server! Personally, I find EMAIL-2 a better choice. Especially if you
      set up the shortcuts (nicknames) and tell others how to e-mail back to
      you. http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

      Pretty cool idea to make EMAIL look like a separate command!

      It may also be worth mentioning that just typing text into a message
      will send it to the callsign from which an APRS message was most
      recently received. Makes having an APRS QSO pretty easy! (Just don't
      try interleaving two QSOs, you'll inevitably send a message to the wrong
      callsign!)

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS-IS messaging as KJ4ERJ-12 - T2/Nuvi350s as
      KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
        Pete KC0GPB wrote...

        > The --bea doesn't seem to work...

        That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
        command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?

        --beacon

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Rudy Benner
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
          AUTHLIST?

          > That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
          > command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?
          >
          > --beacon
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

          07:35:00
        • Pete Lilja
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
            Yes, it does seem odd to me too.

            No, no profile switching in the T2 nor any AUTH list.  I've tried spelling out --beacon in addition to simply --bea - neither seems to work.

            I dunno.  The set-up works flawlessly otherwise.  It's not a game-killer.  It'd just be nice to mark a spot every now and again.

            Any other ideas would be appreciated.

            Pete
            KC0GPB

            On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
            Pete KC0GPB wrote...

            > The --bea doesn't seem to work...

            That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
            command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?

             --beacon

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
               tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
              Update the firmware and try it again. I know previous to a recent
              update BEACON would only send the text you specified on the command
              line. Now BEACON without any arguments queues a position packet.

              Scott

              Pete Lilja wrote:

              > Thanks, Randy.
              >
              > I just tried again. The --bea doesn't seem to work. However when the
              > message --ver is sent I get an immediate response of *Tracker 2 Build
              > 54680* so I know I can communicate with the T2-135 through the Nevi - I
              > just can't beacon a position (and, yes, there was a sat lock).
              >
              > Pete
              > KC0GPB
              >
              > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...
              > <mailto:rlove31@...>> wrote:
              >

              > Pete
              >
              > there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
              > group:
              > opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>
              >

              > --VER should return the version number.
              >
              > Randy
              > WF5X

            • Pete Lilja
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2010
                Thanks, Scott, that did it.  I updated the firmware and the beacon command works!

                And thanks for making that firmware update process so easy.  It is basically a 'One Click' update and that makes a computer dolt like me very happy.

                I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again.  The T2-135 with a Nuvi 350 is the slickest, most convenient mobile APRS set-up imaginable.

                Pete
                KC0GPB