Re: [tracker2] Positioning Beaconing x1

  • lists@ke4nyv.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
      > Isn't there a command to get through via the Nuvi?

      --VER

      Jason KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics, LLC
      www.rpc-electronics.com

      Pete Lilja wrote:

      > I've tried that and a no go (at least the new position doesn't show up

      > on the Nuvi).  Other commands seem to work when communicating with the

      > T2 through the Nuvi.  Or does it have to be capital letters?

      > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Scott Miller <scott@opentrac. org

      > <mailto:scott@opentrac. org>> wrote:

      >     BEACON should do it.  From the nuvi, you can use "--BEA".

      >     Scott

      >     Pete Lilja wrote:

      >      >

      >      >

      >      > Running a T2-135 and  Garmin Nuvi 350 what command can I use to

      >     simply

      >      > beacon my position once on demand?

      >      >

      >      > Pete

      >      > KC0GPB

      >      >

      >      >

      >        (Yahoo! ID required)

      >        tracker2-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com

      >     <mailto:tracker2-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com>

         http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tracker2/

         Individual Email | Traditional

         http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tracker2/ join

         (Yahoo! ID required)

         tracker2-digest@ yahoogroups. com

         tracker2-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com

         http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/
    • Pete Lilja
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
        Thanks, Randy.

        I just tried again.  The --bea doesn't seem to work.  However when the message --ver is sent I get an immediate response of Tracker 2 Build 54680 so I know I can communicate with the T2-135 through the Nevi - I just can't beacon a position (and, yes, there was a sat lock).

        Pete
        KC0GPB

        On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

        Pete

        there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the group:
        opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf

        --VER should return the version number.

        Randy
        WF5X

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
          Randy Love wrote:
          > there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
          > group:
          > opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>

          Only one dash on EMAIL? ... Ah, I get it. That's using the EMAIL
          server! Personally, I find EMAIL-2 a better choice. Especially if you
          set up the shortcuts (nicknames) and tell others how to e-mail back to
          you. http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

          Pretty cool idea to make EMAIL look like a separate command!

          It may also be worth mentioning that just typing text into a message
          will send it to the callsign from which an APRS message was most
          recently received. Makes having an APRS QSO pretty easy! (Just don't
          try interleaving two QSOs, you'll inevitably send a message to the wrong
          callsign!)

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS-IS messaging as KJ4ERJ-12 - T2/Nuvi350s as
          KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
            Pete KC0GPB wrote...

            > The --bea doesn't seem to work...

            That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
            command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?

            --beacon

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • Rudy Benner
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
              AUTHLIST?

              > That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
              > command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?
              >
              > --beacon
              >
              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              07:35:00
            • Pete Lilja
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                Yes, it does seem odd to me too.

                No, no profile switching in the T2 nor any AUTH list.  I've tried spelling out --beacon in addition to simply --bea - neither seems to work.

                I dunno.  The set-up works flawlessly otherwise.  It's not a game-killer.  It'd just be nice to mark a spot every now and again.

                Any other ideas would be appreciated.

                Pete
                KC0GPB

                On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                Pete KC0GPB wrote...

                > The --bea doesn't seem to work...

                That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
                command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?

                 --beacon

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                  Update the firmware and try it again. I know previous to a recent
                  update BEACON would only send the text you specified on the command
                  line. Now BEACON without any arguments queues a position packet.

                  Scott

                  Pete Lilja wrote:

                  > Thanks, Randy.
                  >
                  > I just tried again. The --bea doesn't seem to work. However when the
                  > message --ver is sent I get an immediate response of *Tracker 2 Build
                  > 54680* so I know I can communicate with the T2-135 through the Nevi - I
                  > just can't beacon a position (and, yes, there was a sat lock).
                  >
                  > Pete
                  > KC0GPB
                  >
                  > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...
                  > <mailto:rlove31@...>> wrote:
                  >

                  > Pete
                  >
                  > there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
                  > group:
                  > opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>
                  >

                  > --VER should return the version number.
                  >
                  > Randy
                  > WF5X

                • Pete Lilja
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2010
                    Thanks, Scott, that did it.  I updated the firmware and the beacon command works!

                    And thanks for making that firmware update process so easy.  It is basically a 'One Click' update and that makes a computer dolt like me very happy.

                    I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again.  The T2-135 with a Nuvi 350 is the slickest, most convenient mobile APRS set-up imaginable.

                    Pete
                    KC0GPB

                    Pete Lilja wrote:

                    > Thanks, Randy.
                    >
                    > I just tried again.  The --bea doesn't seem to work.  However when the
                    > message --ver is sent I get an immediate response of *Tracker 2 Build
                    > 54680* so I know I can communicate with the T2-135 through the Nevi - I
                    > just can't beacon a position (and, yes, there was a sat lock).
                    >
                    > Pete
                    > KC0GPB
                    >
                    > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...
                    > <mailto:rlove31@...>> wrote:
                    >

                    >     Pete
                    >
                    >     there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
                    >     group:
                    >     opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
                    >     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>
                    >

                    >     --VER should return the version number.