[tracker2] LCD show time

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Scott,

      I was thinking it would be nice to know the time of the last data sent to
      the LCD. There appears to be unused space under the call sign.

      The time string from GPRMC would be adequate for me. It would let me know
      how stale the data is.

      Just some musings.

      Best regards,
      Fred
    • Pete Lilja
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
        I've tried that and a no go (at least the new position doesn't show up on the Nuvi).  Other commands seem to work when communicating with the T2 through the Nuvi.  Or does it have to be capital letters?

        On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
        BEACON should do it.  From the nuvi, you can use "--BEA".

        Scott

        Pete Lilja wrote:

        > Running a T2-135 and  Garmin Nuvi 350 what command can I use to simply
        > beacon my position once on demand?
        >
        > Pete
        > KC0GPB

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
           tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
          Nope. What firmware version are you running? BEACON hasn't always sent
          position beacons.

          Scott

          Pete Lilja wrote:

          > I've tried that and a no go (at least the new position doesn't show up
          > on the Nuvi). Other commands seem to work when communicating with the
          > T2 through the Nuvi. Or does it have to be capital letters?
          >
          > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
          > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
          >
          > BEACON should do it. From the nuvi, you can use "--BEA".
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > Pete Lilja wrote:
          > >

          > > Running a T2-135 and Garmin Nuvi 350 what command can I use to
          > simply
          > > beacon my position once on demand?
          > >
          > > Pete
          > > KC0GPB

          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Randy Love
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
            Also, a note about the Nuvi. You won't see your new position post
            unless you decoding it bounced back from a digi. The -BEA only sends
            it out the RF port, so unless you hear yourself digipeated, you won't
            get an update for your waypoint on the Nuvi.

            73,
            Randy
            WF5X

            On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > Nope.  What firmware version are you running?  BEACON hasn't always sent
            > position beacons.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > Pete Lilja wrote:
            >>

            >> I've tried that and a no go (at least the new position doesn't show up
            >> on the Nuvi).  Other commands seem to work when communicating with the
            >> T2 through the Nuvi.  Or does it have to be capital letters?
            >>
            >> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
            >> <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
            >>
            >>     BEACON should do it.  From the nuvi, you can use "--BEA".
            >>
            >>     Scott
            >>
            >>     Pete Lilja wrote:
            >>      >
            >>      >
            >>      > Running a T2-135 and  Garmin Nuvi 350 what command can I use to
            >>     simply
            >>      > beacon my position once on demand?
            >>      >
            >>      > Pete
            >>      > KC0GPB
            >>      >
            >>      >

            >>        (Yahoo! ID required)
            >>
            >>        tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
            >>     <mailto:tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

          • Pete Lilja
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
              I can't tell you the firmware version off the top of my head.  Isn't there a command to get through via the Nuvi?

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                Pete,

                there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the group:
                opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf

                --VER should return the version number.

                Randy
                WF5X

              • Pete Lilja
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                  Yep, that makes sense and I understand that.  Several tries earlier today and my buddy's digi  / I'gate is just down the street a bit.  I can hit it easily.

                  Thanks for the idea...

                  Pete

                • lists@ke4nyv.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                    > Isn't there a command to get through via the Nuvi?

                    --VER

                    Jason KE4NYV
                    RPC Electronics, LLC
                    www.rpc-electronics.com

                    Pete Lilja wrote:

                    > I've tried that and a no go (at least the new position doesn't show up

                    > on the Nuvi).  Other commands seem to work when communicating with the

                    > T2 through the Nuvi.  Or does it have to be capital letters?

                    > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Scott Miller <scott@opentrac. org

                    > <mailto:scott@opentrac. org>> wrote:

                    >     BEACON should do it.  From the nuvi, you can use "--BEA".

                    >     Scott

                    >     Pete Lilja wrote:

                    >      >

                    >      >

                    >      > Running a T2-135 and  Garmin Nuvi 350 what command can I use to

                    >     simply

                    >      > beacon my position once on demand?

                    >      >

                    >      > Pete

                    >      > KC0GPB

                    >      >

                    >      >

                    >        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    >        tracker2-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com

                    >     <mailto:tracker2-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com>

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tracker2/

                       Individual Email | Traditional

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tracker2/ join

                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                      Thanks, Randy.

                      I just tried again.  The --bea doesn't seem to work.  However when the message --ver is sent I get an immediate response of Tracker 2 Build 54680 so I know I can communicate with the T2-135 through the Nevi - I just can't beacon a position (and, yes, there was a sat lock).

                      Pete
                      KC0GPB

                      On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                      Pete

                      there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the group:
                      opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf

                      --VER should return the version number.

                      Randy
                      WF5X

                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                        Randy Love wrote:
                        > there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
                        > group:
                        > opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>

                        Only one dash on EMAIL? ... Ah, I get it. That's using the EMAIL
                        server! Personally, I find EMAIL-2 a better choice. Especially if you
                        set up the shortcuts (nicknames) and tell others how to e-mail back to
                        you. http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

                        Pretty cool idea to make EMAIL look like a separate command!

                        It may also be worth mentioning that just typing text into a message
                        will send it to the callsign from which an APRS message was most
                        recently received. Makes having an APRS QSO pretty easy! (Just don't
                        try interleaving two QSOs, you'll inevitably send a message to the wrong
                        callsign!)

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS-IS messaging as KJ4ERJ-12 - T2/Nuvi350s as
                        KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                          Pete KC0GPB wrote...

                          > The --bea doesn't seem to work...

                          That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
                          command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?

                          --beacon

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        • Rudy Benner
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                            AUTHLIST?

                            > That's strange. Does it make any difference if you type out the entire
                            > command...? While reaching for a straw, are you using profile switching?
                            >
                            > --beacon
                            >
                            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                            07:35:00
                          • Pete Lilja
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                              Yes, it does seem odd to me too.

                              No, no profile switching in the T2 nor any AUTH list.  I've tried spelling out --beacon in addition to simply --bea - neither seems to work.

                              I dunno.  The set-up works flawlessly otherwise.  It's not a game-killer.  It'd just be nice to mark a spot every now and again.

                              Any other ideas would be appreciated.

                              Pete
                              KC0GPB

                              Pete KC0GPB wrote...

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                                Update the firmware and try it again. I know previous to a recent
                                update BEACON would only send the text you specified on the command
                                line. Now BEACON without any arguments queues a position packet.

                                Scott

                                Pete Lilja wrote:

                                > Thanks, Randy.
                                >
                                > I just tried again. The --bea doesn't seem to work. However when the
                                > message --ver is sent I get an immediate response of *Tracker 2 Build
                                > 54680* so I know I can communicate with the T2-135 through the Nevi - I
                                > just can't beacon a position (and, yes, there was a sat lock).
                                >
                                > Pete
                                > KC0GPB
                                >
                                > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...
                                > <mailto:rlove31@...>> wrote:
                                >

                                > Pete
                                >
                                > there is a cheat sheet for Nuvi commands in the files section of the
                                > group:
                                > opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/opentracker2cheatsheet.pdf>
                                >

                                > --VER should return the version number.
                                >
                                > Randy
                                > WF5X

                              • Pete Lilja
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2010
                                  Thanks, Scott, that did it.  I updated the firmware and the beacon command works!

                                  And thanks for making that firmware update process so easy.  It is basically a 'One Click' update and that makes a computer dolt like me very happy.

                                  I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again.  The T2-135 with a Nuvi 350 is the slickest, most convenient mobile APRS set-up imaginable.

                                  Pete
                                  KC0GPB