Re: [tracker2] Extracting Altitude Info. for Garmin Nuvi 350 Display

  • Mark Cheavens
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2010
      Profiles seem to be an issue for many people.

      During testing enable status beacon on all packets in both profiles. Put a P1 and P2 respectively in both profiles. You can then quickly see which profile is being used.

      Example of one of my packets:
      Raw packet: KC5EVE>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,KC5EVE-12:!/?L@#6@{9>H;G/A=000056 Cheavens.com P1

      As you can see I am sending altitude....I could send you my config file privately if you would like. (It is at home on my programming computer)

      Mark
      KC5EVE
      At 11:21 AM 1/26/2010, you wrote:

      Hmm, the "turning on" of the status with the altitude box checked still didn't get the Nuvi to display the altitude.  I should add that I got one of those 'odd happenings' in the config program where when clicking the tabs between profile 1 and 2 the 'status' check button repeatedly switched back to being checked in the 'comment' section so I'm not sure it was actually written to the OT+ with the status configuration enabled.

      That changing settings when switching between profiles seems to be a common and frustrating 'feature' in otwincfg.

      This isn't a deal breaker for me.  I really like flying the OT+ in balloons and we can get the altitude data from our Kenwood D7 HTs - it'd just be nice to have the info displayed on the Nuvi 350 while chasing and recovering.

      Any other ideas?

      Pete
      KC0GPB

      On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:
      That just might work.  I'll try that.  Thanks, Mark!

      Pete
      KC0GPB

      On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mark Cheavens <mcheavens@...> wrote:

      I can't remember in the config if you can get the altitude into a status packet (I think you can).

      You can read status messages on the T2/Nuvi350

      Mark
      KC5EVE

      At 02:45 PM 1/22/2010, you wrote:

      I  sent the message below yesterday but haven't seen it come across the Yahoo Group(s).  Perhaps it was lost.  I originally had high-jacked another thread with this and apologize for that.  I would, however, like to figure out a way to see my balloon flights altitude on my Nuvi.

      PL

      ++++++++++++++++++++

      I run a Kenwood TH-G71 HT with a Garmin 18 and an OT+ on high altitude balloon flights.  Using my T2-135 in the Alinco 2 meter mobile connected to a Garmin Nuvi 350 I cannot see an altitude display on the Nuvi.  I would like to be able to extract that info while chasing the balloon for recovery.

      Is there some way I can either pull that info via the Nuvi or change some setting in the OT+ so that it does display altitude?

      The OT+ is just a few months old.

      Pete
      KC0GPB

    • Pete Lilja
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2010
        The OT is putting out the altitude info - we see it on our D7 HTs during a flight and it shows up on the raw data at aprs.fi.  It's just that the Nuvi 350 doesn't display it and that's what I'm trying to make happen.  Maybe it can't be done, I dunno.

        I use a similar method to display which profile is being used during a HAB flight so I understand what you're saying and do find it useful.  My issue with testing my profile 2 now is that it doesn't kick in unless the altitude is > 10K'!  It's a lot of effort getting that high when you live in Iowa!

        I'm always game to see config files.

        Thanks,

        Pete
        KC0GPB

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2010
          I'll have to check on the button not sticking properly.

          Lemme see... line 439 in parse_aprs.c:

          438 // Once it's parsed, we can remove it from the comment
          439 strcpy(p, p+9);

          If you were to comment that out and recompile it, it wouldn't remove the
          /A= altitude string from the comment text. I can try that sometime if I
          ever get a chance to work on code again.

          Scott