Tracker2, AGW, and Paclink

  • Byron
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2010
      Hi,

      I have tried searching for a solution to my problem, but came up empty.

      This past week I have built an interface cable for my VX-170 2m HT using Yaesu's instructions and got it working with my Tracker2 using APRS. I receive APRS fine and can send messages using the Tracker2 console. The tracker2 was configured with the latest production firmware via the web and besides my call, I left the configuration options at the default

      My HT, by the way, is connected to a J-pole outside the house at about 25 feet and is running at 5w with "receive power save" turned off. Then, I tried to get Paclink and winlink 200 working.

      After getting paclink to connect via telnet, I tried the built in generic kiss module in paclink and use the tracker2. This sent a message via the HT and the HT and TNC both flashed green on receive, but paclink timed out. So, I installed AGW and tried their TNC KISS connection using the parameters for the Tracker2 from the ArgentData WIKI.

      When I do this, I get the following out of AGWmonitor:
      1:Fm KI6NUL To K6BJ-10 <SABM P>[21:29:05]
      1:Fm K6BJ-10 To KI6NUL <I P R0 S0 pid=F0 Len=23 >[21:29:07]
      [WL2K-2.0.3.3-B2FIHM$]

      and after 60 seconds, paclink and agw time out. This behavior is similar when using the paclink internal generic KISS controller. During this 60 second timeout, the receive light on both the HT and the Tracker2 flash, but no additional packets are decoded from the RMS server. The combination also decodes the periodic identifier from the RMS server correctly:

      1:Fm K6BJ-10 To USERS <UI pid=F0 Len=32 >[21:31:53]
      RMS Packet Server in Santa Cruz

      I've tried RX EQ on and off in the tracker2, and the entire range of HT output audio volume. All results are the same.

      Today, I built a dual-head serial cable so I could monitor incoming packets from the TNC before it got to AGW to see if something was being sent and not decoded, but there is no additional traffic from the Tracker2 than what is shown in AGWmonitor. So, at this point, I have exhausted what I know to do on my own and am asking the forum for help.

      What can I do to get packets from our local RMS server to decode? Anything I can try at all?

      73,

      Byron KI6NUL
    • Byron Servies
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2010
        Hi,

        Sorry for the resend, but this problem continues to stymy me.  Does anyone have any ideas for things I could try?

        Thanks,

        Byron KI6NUL

        -- resend --

[...]

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2010
          I don't run Winlink, But you might try to contact the sysop, who lives near you. Do a search with his nodes call his email is listed. I wonder if that system is cross band since he advertises a uhf frequency on the beacon. Some Winlink guys run 9600 baud too, I think mostly on UHF.

          K6BJ-10
          441.500MHz 1200 R10m RMSPacket Public
        • Byron
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan@...> wrote:

            > I don't run Winlink, But you might try to contact the sysop, who lives near you. Do a search with his nodes call his email is listed. I wonder if that system is cross band since he advertises a uhf frequency on the beacon. Some Winlink guys run 9600 baud too, I think mostly on UHF.
            >
            > K6BJ-10
            > 441.500MHz 1200 R10m RMSPacket Public

            Yes, I have. The RMS server is fine, and my HT appears to receive intended packets, but the tracker2 does not decode them.

            Byron KI6NUL
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              Byron,

              I think the problem is that the T2 can't buffer multiple outgoing
              packets at the same time. On some platforms you can set it to only send
              1 packet at a time, but I forget the parameter.

              I've got a fix on my to-do list, but it's going to take some work given
              the limited buffer space.

              Scott