Can't config, OT2m serial port not responding

  • kb4pzo
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
      I just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      I'm using a USB to Serial Port converter. I'm running MS Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:

      Tera Term
      + Verified the USB-serial converter and null-modem serial cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
      + Tried various baud rates 4800 (also 2400, 9600, 19,200) with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
      + One data point is that at 4800 when I turn off the Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud rate is set incorrectly.

      otwincfg
      + Select COM Port, press Connect, Turn on Tracker2
      + About every 13 seconds Tracker blinks LEDs in order (ACT, TX, RX) in quick succession
      + "Connect to tracker" window continues to be shown with "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset tracker now." displayed

      73,
      Tim
      KB4PZO
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
        The LEDs flashing like that is indicative of power being applied then removed. That is the blinking order of the LEDs at boot up. You might have an intermittent or just plan bad power connection.

        The rest of your procedures looks normal. However, you could also try to upload firmware to the OT2 in case what is there has been corrupted. You can see that option on the Tracker Connection window. Just check the box and follow the instructions after selecting 'Connect".

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:

        > I just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > I'm using a USB to Serial Port converter. I'm running MS Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:
        >
        > Tera Term
        > + Verified the USB-serial converter and null-modem serial cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
        > + Tried various baud rates 4800 (also 2400, 9600, 19,200) with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
        > + One data point is that at 4800 when I turn off the Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud rate is set incorrectly.
        >
        > otwincfg
        > + Select COM Port, press Connect, Turn on Tracker2
        > + About every 13 seconds Tracker blinks LEDs in order (ACT, TX, RX) in quick succession
        > + "Connect to tracker" window continues to be shown with "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset tracker now." displayed
        >
        > 73,
        > Tim
        > KB4PZO

      • kb4pzo
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
          Larry,

          Thanks for you suggestions. While the sequence looks like the power up sequence is it slower by about 2x. Also it doesn't start until I select "Connect" in otwincfg. I've also verified that the power is good. In otwincfg when I check "Erase device and load new firmware" and then select "Connect" nothing other than the periodic LED sequence I've already described occurs, so no success trying to load new firmware.

          Thanks again
          Tim - KB4PZO

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

          > The LEDs flashing like that is indicative of power being applied then removed. That is the blinking order of the LEDs at boot up. You might have an intermittent or just plan bad power connection.
          >
          > The rest of your procedures looks normal. However, you could also try to upload firmware to the OT2 in case what is there has been corrupted. You can see that option on the Tracker Connection window. Just check the box and follow the instructions after selecting 'Connect".
          >
          > Larry
          > K7YBZ
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > I'm using a USB to Serial Port converter. I'm running MS Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:
          > >
          > > Tera Term
          > > + Verified the USB-serial converter and null-modem serial cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
          > > + Tried various baud rates 4800 (also 2400, 9600, 19,200) with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
          > > + One data point is that at 4800 when I turn off the Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud rate is set incorrectly.
          > >
          > > otwincfg
          > > + Select COM Port, press Connect, Turn on Tracker2
          > > + About every 13 seconds Tracker blinks LEDs in order (ACT, TX, RX) in quick succession
          > > + "Connect to tracker" window continues to be shown with "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset tracker now." displayed
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Tim
          > > KB4PZO

        • Rudy Benner
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
            Try a different (larger) power supply

            Thanks for you suggestions. While the sequence looks like the power up sequence is it slower by about 2x. Also it doesn't start until I select "Connect" in otwincfg. I've also verified that the power is good. In otwincfg when I check "Erase device and load new firmware" and then select "Connect" nothing other than the periodic LED sequence I've already described occurs, so no success trying to load new firmware.

            Thanks again
            Tim - KB4PZO

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

            > The LEDs flashing like that is indicative of power being applied then removed. That is the blinking order of the LEDs at boot up. You might have an intermittent or just plan bad power connection.
            >
            > The rest of your procedures looks normal. However, you could also try to upload firmware to the OT2 in case what is there has been corrupted. You can see that option on the Tracker Connection window. Just check the box and follow the instructions after selecting 'Connect".
            >
            > Larry
            > K7YBZ
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > > I'm using a USB to Serial Port converter. I'm running MS Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:
            > >
            > > Tera Term
            > > + Verified the USB-serial converter and null-modem serial cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
            > > + Tried various baud rates 4800 (also 2400, 9600, 19,200) with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
            > > + One data point is that at 4800 when I turn off the Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud rate is set incorrectly.
            > >
            > > otwincfg
            > > + Select COM Port, press Connect, Turn on Tracker2
            > > + About every 13 seconds Tracker blinks LEDs in order (ACT, TX, RX) in quick succession
            > > + "Connect to tracker" window continues to be shown with "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset tracker now." displayed
            > >
            > > 73,
            > > Tim
            > > KB4PZO

          • kb4pzo
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
              Larry,

              I give that I try tomorrow when I can line up another supply. For the record I'm using the 9-volt DC adapter that Scott sells, it is rated for 9V DC - 500mA.

              Thanks for your suggestion,
              Tim - KB4PZO

              Click to enlarge
              DC wall adapter with 2.1 mm center positive plug.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy Benner" <benner@...> wrote:

              > Try a different (larger) power supply

            • kb4pzo
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
                By the way, this is a new tracker, Ver 2.0a.

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:

                > Larry,
                >
                > I give that I try tomorrow when I can line up another supply. For the record I'm using the 9-volt DC adapter that Scott sells, it is rated for 9V DC - 500mA.
                >
                > Thanks for your suggestion,
                > Tim - KB4PZO
                >
                > Click to enlarge
                > DC wall adapter with 2.1 mm center positive plug.
                >
                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy Benner" <benner@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Try a different (larger) power supply

              • k7ybz
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
                  O.K. It is still sounding like a low voltage supply or intermittent supply. The new board 'MAY' require a slightly higher minimum voltage/current capability to operate that Scott did not expect.

                • wyoming_semi_driver@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
                    I have been able to use the 9-volt dc adapter that is 500ma home adapter on the new V2 OT2m at home to power my station a lot. that worked great.
                    K7CDL
                    Ron

                    href="mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com">tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Rudy Benner" <benner@> wrote:

                    > > Try a different
                    (larger) power supply

                    href="mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com">tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:

                    just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                    running MS Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:

                    USB-serial converter and null-modem serial cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
                    2400, 9600, 19,200) with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
                    off the Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud rate is set incorrectly.

                    otwincfg
                    Tracker2
                    order (ACT, TX, RX) in quick succession
                    tracker" window continues to be shown with "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset tracker now." displayed

                    > > No virus found in this incoming
                    message.
                    > > Version:
                    8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2599 - Release Date: 01/04/10 08:24:00

                  • k7ybz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2010
                      In earlier posts regarding the V2 board, there were some issues noted of bad solder joints and excess lead lengths on the crystal. If you have a good magnifying lens, take a close look at both sides of the board for possilbe issues. i.e. solder bridges, cold solder joints, etc.

                      I have several pre-V2 boards but none of the V2, so duplicating the problem is not practical. However, there can very easily be operational tolerance differences just due to different components on the new board. i.e. An older board may work at 9.3V but a new one may fail at the same voltage. But then, one can have the same problem between boards of the same series since none of the parts on the board are "ideal". Operational tolerances of the parts vary between 1% and 20% or more.

                      Try a 12V supply and monitor the current with an analog meter if you can. At the moment I cannot put my hands on what the current draw should be, but I am sure it will not be over 100 ma. However, with the analog meter, in the short term you should not see a gross change or serious spikes in current. A digital meter will not show rapid changes and some analog meters may be dampened too much to see rapid changes, but.....

                      Larry
                      K7YBZ
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 5, 2010
                        The required voltage IS going to be slightly higher, by the Vf of a
                        Schottky diode. Unless you use the solder jumper to bypass it. Should
                        be an extra .3 volts or so.

                        I'd also check the soldering on the cylinder type crystal in the middle
                        of the board. That'll cause weird problems if it's loose, and I saw one
                        during testing that had a lead not soldered at all.

                        I'm anticipating delivery of the next batch in an hour or so. I'll be
                        inspecting these a lot closer. I've still got the spare microscope in
                        the assembly bench area, so I'll probably train the temp in what to look
                        for and get a second set of eyes checking everything. She's done enough
                        soldering to be able to recognize a bad joint, anyway.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 5, 2010
                          > tolerance differences just due to different components on the new board.
                          > i.e. An older board may work at 9.3V but a new one may fail at the same
                          > voltage. But then, one can have the same problem between boards of the

                          The rated drop-out voltage of the regulator is 6.7V, and the series
                          diode has a forward voltage of around .3V, so anything over 7 volts is
                          fine. And it'll probably work at 6.

                          Scott
                        • kb4pzo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 5, 2010
                            Unit is on its way back to Scott after these additional tests verified my original test set up was not at fault.
                            + Tried 12V power supply, same behavior as before
                            + Tried computer with a real serial port, same behavior as before

                            Thank you all for your suggestions/recommendations!

                            Tim - KB4PZO

                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:

                            > By the way, this is a new tracker, Ver 2.0a.
                            >
                            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Larry,
                            > >
                            > > I give that I try tomorrow when I can line up another supply. For the record I'm using the 9-volt DC adapter that Scott sells, it is rated for 9V DC - 500mA.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for your suggestion,
                            > > Tim - KB4PZO
                            > >
                            > > Click to enlarge
                            > > DC wall adapter with 2.1 mm center positive plug.
                            > >
                            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy Benner" <benner@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Try a different (larger) power supply

                          • rarousse
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 1, 2012
                              Yesterday I pulled my OT2m from my truck and was going to see if there was any new firmware updates (was at build 55076) and make a new backup.
                              Unfortunately I have not been able to get mine to connect to otwincfg.exe. I followed this thread and tried the same things (different power supplies, different computers, etc...), but still no luck. The LEDs do not light up in a sequence, only the RX lights (barely). Tried the erase and load new firmware, but still nothing. Tried using Hyperterminal, but I don't get any prompts (even at different baud rates). I checked for any cold solder joints, but did not see anything obvious. This is also a ver 2.0a. Laptop is running XP, using a USB to serial that worked before.
                              Other than that I've been really satisfied with the functionality of the unit since Feb. 16, 2010. I'll plug it back into my truck to see if it is still working there again.
                              Thanks,
                              -Rob
                              KI4BKE

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 2, 2012
                                It was working OK in the truck? How was it powered there? With power
                                alone connected, you should get the startup sequence on the LEDs.

                                Scott

                              • Rob Rousseau
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2, 2012
                                  Hi Scott,
                                  In the truck, it was receiving power via the Radio port. When I
                                  plug it from the wall, there is no startup sequence on the LEDs, only
                                  the green RX is lit up. I've tried 3 different DC adapters, all
                                  within the 7 to 28V DC range. I am guessing maybe a component went
                                  bad on the board.
                                  I put it back into the truck and well now I'm not getting anything
                                  from it. I guess that teaches me, I should have left it well enough
                                  alone!
                                  -Rob
                                  KI4BKE