Re: [tracker2] OT2m version 2.0a

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      I thought I'd posted the new schematic - I'll have to make sure that
      gets on the wiki.

      Check for any visible bad solder joints. It was tested before it left,
      so if it's not working now, chances are it's something that came loose
      afterward. You're welcome to send it back for inspection, but I'll be
      gone Thursday and Friday for CES.

      Scott

      n0rxd wrote:

      > I received my OT2m with the 2.0a PCB a week ago. I got it configured and
      > working as a tracker with a Garmin nuvi 350; however it does not receive
      > any packets. The RX and TX LEDs flash on power-up, but RX does not light
      > after that. Upgraded firmware to version 55076. I have tried soft and
      > non-soft DCD, equalization jumper on and off, but still no RX.
      >
      > I tested using a friend's version 1.0 with the same settings, jumpers,
      > and cables and it received OK.
      >
      > I noticed the modem is a MX614DW which is not on the schematic. Is there
      > a new schematic for this model?
      >
      > Does anyone else have this model, problem, or any suggestions as to what
      > I should do or try next?
      >
      > Thanks, Mark

    • n5faz
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        mark, scott,

        i had the same issue with my brand new tracker2. if i took the board completely out of the case it would receive. it appeared that one lead on the crystal on the left side of the board was shorting to the case nut. trim the leads, reassemble and receive ok.

        now my unit has developed a another problem. it intermittently wont power up. it works most of the time on the bench with an ac adapter. but when getting power from the radio in the truck, it does not work most of the time. i then wired a seperate power cord for the tracker. that seemed to help but didnt fix the problem. other times it will work for a few minutes then lockup with no rx and no responce on the console. the gps connected to the tracker2's 5v output always works.

        some of the symptoms it has when not working are:
        green led lites up dim and the others dont flash,
        or after a few seconds the act led will flash red red green very slowly then a few seconds later the rx, tx leds will flash but the unit still wont rx or respond to the console.

        i dont think it is a power problem, i think the problem is tempature related as it works much more reliably in the 70+ degree house than in the less than 40 degree truck.

        also the quality of the hand soldered parts does not appear to be very good.

        i am planning on sending my unit back for a replacement.

        paul n5faz

      • wyoming_semi_driver@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
          I'm wondering if I'm having some of the same solder problems that I keep posting a few days again. I don’t know much about this type of stuff but every now and then my tracker2 will go into HT mode without the HT jumper in place and will stop tx on my mobile radio and I'm wondering if some the solder points that sticking out are touching each other. I'm thinking of sending mine back but with me working on the road hauling fuel I will have to take time off of work to get to the post office.
          K7CDL
          Ron Swart

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

          > I thought I'd posted the
          new schematic - I'll have to make sure that
          > gets on the wiki.
          >
          > Check for any visible bad solder joints. It was tested before it left,
          > so if it's not working now, chances are it's something that came loose
          > afterward. You're welcome to send it back for inspection, but I'll be
          > gone Thursday and Friday for CES.
          >
          > Scott

        • Ron K7CDL
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
            thanks for posting this i started wondering if i wasnt just having some problem and doing something wroung on my end. the tracker2 went back into HT mode last night without the HT jumper in place again last night for like the 5th time in a week. i just dont know. i know this has nothing to do with scott or anything he did it has to do with the company that put these together. i really like the work scott does and the FMI is very nice but i cant use it with a HT because i dont have a HT that will work with this. other then this unit keep going in and out of HT mode it works great.i have used the change the setting by the gps commands a lot of time. i guess my main reason for writing this 2nd email is i dont want scott too upset with me about complaining. there is a lot of good stuff about these tracker2 units and just very little going wroung but these very little is keeping me from using it. i will try to get home in the next week to get it back to you to see if maybe its a fast fix or not or if maybe its like everything else as soon as you get it into the shop it works perfect lol. thanks again for your hard work scott and hope to get 3 more of these tracker2 once all the stuff that might be wroung gets looked at.
            thanks,
            K7CDL
            Ron Swart

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
              On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Ron K7CDL
              <wyoming_semi_driver@...> wrote:

              > the tracker2 went back into HT mode last night without the HT
              > jumper in place again last night for like the 5th time in a week.

              Okay, I'm baffled... how do you know that the unit is in HT mode?

              The easy way to tell would be to look at the jumper and see that it is
              across the HT pins.

              The HT jumper couples the PTT out to the audio out line via a 2.2K
              resistor. Have you been able to confirm that you are seeing the PTT
              assertion on the audio line by monitoring the audio line with a meter
              or scope?

              > i have used the change the setting by the gps commands a lot of time.

              To do what? You are not able to change the HT setting via the command
              console, which is what I am thinking that you are talking about.

              You can spend a lot of time trying to fix a problem that doesn't
              exist. I'm not convinced that you have a problem with the HT setting.
              The information you have provided so far is insufficient to be able to
              confirm or deny the suggested issue.

            • wyoming_semi_driver@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                because I have a HT that has very bad RFI problems but I can use it to test stuff. when the tracker2 stops TX on my mobile I hook up the HT to the tracker2 asap and the PTT lights come on the top of the HT and then after a wile of waiting sometimes it will let go of the HT mode and go back to the mobile mode on it by itself but now it is staying in HT mode and NO the HT jumper isnt installed at all. I'm able to change the commands on my tracker2 via my nuvi 350 duh. I can hear the sound coming from the HT with using another radio I don’t need a scope to know this. but I'm also not much into trying to fix stuff I don’t know much about, when you do this you just mess it up even wost. I have been able to get a opentracker and a TT4 working so I do know how to do some stuff. I guess I could always find the 2.2k resistor you talk about and take it out of there sience I don’t need HT use at all,sience this is the only problem I'm having is it wont stay out of HT mode but again why do this and risk really messing up the unit. I was thinking just maybe I was doing something wroung until I seen this past email from this person and I took the unit out of the box and did seen a lot of solder points just about touching each other and I can see how they would touch each other very easy. but I'm noting going to get upset or try to start any fights on group. the easy fix is have someone that knows what they are doing take a look at it, I have already made plans to go home tuesday to get the box and packing and get it mailed out.
                73
                K7CDL
                Ron Swart

                Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:32 PM
                Subject: Re: [tracker2] Re: OT2m version 2.0a

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                  On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM, <wyoming_semi_driver@...> wrote:

                  > because I have a HT that has very bad RFI problems but I can use it to test stuff.

                  Okay, what HT is it? Which cable do you have from RPC?

                  > when the tracker2 stops TX on my mobile I hook up the HT to the tracker2 asap
                  > and the PTT lights come on the top of the HT and then after a wile of waiting
                  > sometimes it will let go of the HT mode and go back to the mobile mode on it by
                  > itself but now it is staying in HT mode and NO the HT jumper isnt installed at all.

                  Okay, so you change the radio and the cable. Does the cable have the
                  resistor and capacitor included in it? The PTT line could be tied into
                  the audio line in the cable rather than using the internal jumper. If
                  this is the case, then the assumption that the HT jumper is magically
                  being enabled is untrue.

                  > I'm able to change the commands on my tracker2 via my nuvi 350 duh.

                  Your posts do not make it clear as to what it is that you are changing
                  on the OT2. You state that you can change settings, and it can be
                  inferred that these changes being made somehow fix the issue at hand.
                  Of course the reverse could be true, and that you are just adding in
                  superfluous information as a red herring to throw people off track.

                  > I can hear the sound coming from the HT with using
                  > another radio I don’t need a scope to know this.

                  So from this, you can assume that the OT2 is driving the HT properly,
                  but you can not assume that the HT jumper is enabled without knowing
                  more about the cables you are using.

                  > but I'm also not much into trying to fix stuff I don’t know much about,
                  > when you do this you just mess it up even wost.

                  This is a good idea, however, you're not trying to fix stuff as in
                  repair components, but rather identify an issue, find a cause, and
                  then from there implement a solution.

                  > I have been able to get a opentracker and a TT4 working so I do know
                  > how to do some stuff.

                  Yes, you have purchased parts, and plugged them in. It sounds like
                  there may be an intermittent issue somewhere in the mix, and we are
                  attempting to help you identify where the intermittent issue might be
                  located. To do that, we need to know what you have, what you are
                  doing, and what the symptoms are. Partial information, mixed up
                  results, and unrelated information provided just makes it that much
                  more difficult to help you.

                  > I guess I could always find the 2.2k resistor you talk about and take
                  > it out of there sience I don’t need HT use at all,sience this is the only
                  > problem I'm having is it wont stay out of HT mode but again why do
                  > this and risk really messing up the unit.

                  Well, if you took the OT2 out of the mix, that would get rid of the
                  problem as well, but that's not really a good solution, is it? As for
                  that being the only problem, I don't think so. Have you determined why
                  you weren't able to get messaging working? I sent a message that you
                  obviously received, and replied to. Have you gotten messaging working?
                  Looks like a lot of attempts from you to send messages to N7HRI, but
                  not successfully.

                  > I was thinking just maybe I was doing something wroung until I seen
                  > this past email from this person and I took the unit out of the box and
                  > did seen a lot of solder points just about touching each other and I
                  > can see how they would touch each other very easy.

                  Yes, Scott has had some issues with contract manufacturer quality
                  control, but that does not mean that every unit has the exact same
                  issue. If I ran mine over with my truck, and said that the board was
                  cracked, would you automatically assume that your board is cracked as
                  well?

                  > but I'm noting going to get upset or try to start any fights on group.
                  > the easy fix is have someone that knows what they are doing take
                  > a look at it, I have already made plans to go home tuesday to get
                  > the box and packing and get it mailed out.

                  Okay, so you take the OT2 box it up, send it to Scott, and he looks at
                  it. Best case scenario, he finds some solder bridges, or long
                  component leads that are shorting out on you. The other option is that
                  he checks it all out and finds no issues. He sends it back to you, and
                  now we are right back where we are now.

                  Systematic experimentation now might save you the time and expense of
                  sending a perfectly good unit back to Scott.

                  There are a lot of little twiddly bits to deal with, and niggly little
                  details that can cause issues. When everything is working, everyone is
                  happy. When things don't work, it can be annoying, but you can usually
                  find the problem and rectify it. However, when the issue is
                  intermittent, it can drive you batty trying to find the cause and
                  solution.

                  We're just working on finding the cause before we all go batty! 8)

                • nb7o
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Just a thought. Some are putting a tone on their APRS radio and then setting tone-squelch on. This will let you receive a short voice message from another APRS station. This concept works well if you are not decoding like the OT2m and Nuvi 350 do. But it will block the signals from getting into the OT2m if you want to decode.

                    Check to see if you are getting out on APRS. You can do this by checking findu or another internet site. Then make certain that you do not have any tone settings turned on. I ran into this with a friend who was having a similar no-decode issue. We got a good laugh at ourselves when we figured it out.

                    73 de kevin/NB7O

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                      found out the message problem all has to do with deviation problems, I can
                      talk to gillette but none of my stuff can get into sheridan where n7hri is
                      and we are trying to work on this. the digi systems in sheridan are being
                      ran by motorola radios and I cant seem to get the right deviation to drive
                      the sound on them. there is only 2 stations that can drive them right.I'm
                      using a maha rexon rl-112 that is fully open for all freq I don’t know about
                      the type of cable, it has the mic input. it’s the same cable at byonics that’s
                      the HT1C cable but without the power. you have this right about me getting
                      batty. there is something intermittent issue. I was able to get your message
                      on my gps. I don’t know what I'm doing here. I wish know more about solder
                      and stuff, I'm just a dumb little truck driver out here in lonely wyoming
                      lol.
                      K7CDL
                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                        and the mobile cable I'm using is the R2C from byonics with yaesu FT-2700RH
                        25w.

                        > found out the message problem all has to do with deviation problems, I can
                        > talk to gillette but none of my stuff can get into sheridan where n7hri is
                        > and we are trying to work on this. the digi systems in sheridan are being
                        > ran by motorola radios and I cant seem to get the right deviation to drive
                        > the sound on them. there is only 2 stations that can drive them right.I'm
                        > using a maha rexon rl-112 that is fully open for all freq I don’t know
                        > about
                        > the type of cable, it has the mic input. it’s the same cable at byonics
                        > that’s
                        > the HT1C cable but without the power. you have this right about me getting
                        > batty. there is something intermittent issue. I was able to get your
                        > message
                        > on my gps. I don’t know what I'm doing here. I wish know more about solder
                        > and stuff, I'm just a dumb little truck driver out here in lonely wyoming
                        > lol.
                        > K7CDL
                        > Ron

                      • n0rxd
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                          That was my problem exactly - the long lead on the crystal was shorted to the case. I bent it out of the way and now it's working like a champ, thanks.

                          I haven't tried it out of the house yet but when I do it will be colder than your truck - it's only 2 above here today.

                          Mark N0RXD

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                            I've sent a note to the contract manufacturer to make sure those leads
                            get cut off flush in the future, and I'll inspect them as they come in.

                            This didn't get caught in testing because RX is tested while the board
                            is on a test fixture, and not installed in the case. The final
                            post-assembly test just checks that it powers on and that the LEDs and
                            DC power jack are OK. The assembled test units I've been using had the
                            lead cut short enough, apparently.

                            Sorry about that, and thanks for the catch.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                              > some of the symptoms it has when not working are:
                              > green led lites up dim and the others dont flash,
                              > or after a few seconds the act led will flash red red green very slowly
                              > then a few seconds later the rx, tx leds will flash but the unit still
                              > wont rx or respond to the console.
                              >
                              > i dont think it is a power problem, i think the problem is tempature
                              > related as it works much more reliably in the 70+ degree house than in
                              > the less than 40 degree truck.
                              >
                              > also the quality of the hand soldered parts does not appear to be very good.

                              These might be related. Check the soldering on crystal Y1 if you
                              haven't sent it back yet - I encountered one unit in testing that had a
                              bad solder joint there, which would cause the problems you're describing.

                              What specifically looks wrong with the hand soldered parts? This is the
                              first batch of OT2ms I've had assembled in the US, and I'm going to be
                              very upset if the quality turns out to be worse than the
                              Chinese-assembled units.

                              > i am planning on sending my unit back for a replacement.

                              I'll be watching for it. I'm supposed to have more boards in on Monday,
                              but with the way things have been going I'm not going to expect anything
                              until Wednesday.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                                I'm having trouble following the HT PTT thing, but it sounds like maybe
                                PTT is just plain broken on the T2 and you're seeing it stuck on when
                                the HT jumper is set, which would be normal for a mobile.

                                With it plugged into the mobile, and the HT jumper removed, what happens
                                when you use the PTT button in the diagnostic menu?

                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                                  right now mobile isnt working at all even with the HT jump pulled but HT is
                                  working. I cant get mobile to work at all now. it was working off and on and
                                  now no mobile. its like HT is stuck on even with HT jumper pulled.