Re: [tracker2] Re: Best GPS??

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
      twobores wrote:
      > Down here in Sunny Australia, we use the Nuvi 310. It does the messaging OK, and due to the Coriolis Effect it logs all the stations seen in Favourites. The stations seen remain on the screen until you zap Favourites.
      > Which is good (I think) because it builds up a breadcrumb trail of who has been where, and which direction they are heading, including yourself, because the returns from the digipeaters log as well.

      The 350 also accumulates the stations you've seen in favorites, but only
      the most recently received position. It updates the station position
      rather than doing the breadcrumb effect. If you live in an area with
      lots of APRS activity, anything but a 350 will fill up the Favorites
      rather quickly.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Alinco DR-135/T2-135/Nuvi 350s as KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
    • jbatey05
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
        Thanks for the info all. That's pretty much what I gathered. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks again.
        Jason
        KD7YJZ
      • Ronny Julian
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
          I've looked and can't tell if there is a GPS in this and it just needs an antenna or is it going to use a Deluo style all in one unit?  Can Scotts units be interfaced to it?

          Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

          Ronny K4RJJ

        • Bill V WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
            > Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

            Kenwood fixed that with the D710... It works well with packet data
            both for WL2K and other modes...

            Bill - WA7NWP
          • Myles Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
              I haven't actually seen one yet but have done some research for future purchase. They only came out on Jan.8th. There is both an internal and external GPS as an additional option. I don't know if they are proprietary or not. The internal GPS installs on top of the back of the control head. So it would work if installed on the dash of car so it could see the sky through the windshield. The external GPS comes with a 10' cable for installation or there is an optional 20' extension cable. There is a data port on the back of the radio. So it should have other capabilities. You can download the manuals in PDF format from the Yaesu website. There is an operating manual for the radio and a separate manual for the APRS functions.

              Myles KL1NU

              To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                I was just getting around to that.  I'll give a call to Yaesu Tuesday and see what they say on an external GPS.

                To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                From: k4rjj@...
                Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:17:41 -0800

                I've looked and can't tell if there is a GPS in this and it just needs an antenna or is it going to use a Deluo style all in one unit?  Can Scotts units be interfaced to it?

                Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

                Ronny K4RJJ

              • Randy Love
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                  here is a very good review of the FTM-350R. The guy talks about the GPS unit that is mounted to the control head and various other things about the radio.

                  http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-bands-vhf-uhf-rigs/40252-review-new-yaesu-ftm-350-a.html

                  Or, the tinyurl is:

                  http://tinyurl.com/ftm-350r-review

                  Enjoy es 73,
                  Randy
                  WF5X

                  To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                    To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                    From: k4rjj@...
                    Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:17:41 -0800

                    I've looked and can't tell if there is a GPS in this and it just needs an antenna or is it going to use a Deluo style all in one unit?  Can Scotts units be interfaced to it?

                    Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

                    Ronny K4RJJ

                  • dwainegarden
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

                      > > Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.
                      >
                      > Kenwood fixed that with the D710... It works well with packet data
                      > both for WL2K and other modes...
                      >
                      > Bill - WA7NWP

                      I have the D710 and it works great with packet. The Kenwood D710 display is also more polished than the Yaesus 350R.

                      Dwaine
                      VE3GIF
                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 26, 2010
                        dwainegarden wrote:
                        > I have the D710 and it works great with packet. The Kenwood D710 display is also more polished than the Yaesus 350R.

                        Please define "more polished" in more detail. You've actually compared
                        them side-by-side in actual (preferably APRS) operations? Or is this an
                        opinion based on examining documentation (manuals) of one vs the other?

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Needing to know LOT$ more before $pending