Best GPS??

  • jbatey05
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
      Greetings to all.
      I have a couple of questions. I was looking at using a T2 with a garmin Nuvi 350. Was wondering if there are any other GPS's that might work as well or better for a standard APRS set up, as the 350 is discontinued.
      Does anyone have any preferences for GPS? I would like to use it with the FMI interface if that's possible. Any help you all could give this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
      73
      Jason
      KD7YJZ
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
        On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:16 AM, jbatey05 <jbatey05@...> wrote:

        > I have a couple of questions. I was looking at using a T2 with a garmin
        > Nuvi 350. Was wondering if there are any other GPS's that might work
        > as well or better for a standard APRS set up, as the 350 is discontinued.

        What do you consider "standard"? There are a number of GPS units that
        output NMEA data which would be compatible with the OT2 and other APRS
        gear. Now, if you want to send the received waypoints back to the GPS,
        and be able to see them on screen, then that narrows down which GPS
        units you can use. You'll need a GPS that has a display. Now, if you
        consider "standard" to include being able to type messages on screen,
        you'll need a Nuvi 350. Some of the Nuvi line will allow you to type
        messages on screen, but don't plot waypoints "properly".

        You could use the AvMap G5... It will plot the waypoints properly,
        with the right icons as well. It won't do the messaging though.

        > Does anyone have any preferences for GPS?

        you know the answer to this one already... Nuvi 350.

        > I would like to use it with the FMI interface if that's possible.

        As has been discussed ad nauseum, the Nuvi 350 is the only unit that
        works "properly". Other Garmin units can do some of the functions, but
        none do the full meal deal properly. If there were another option
        other than the Nuvi 350, we're not keeping it a secret from everyone.

      • twobores
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
          Down here in Sunny Australia, we use the Nuvi 310. It does the messaging OK, and due to the Coriolis Effect it logs all the stations seen in Favourites. The stations seen remain on the screen until you zap Favourites.
          Which is good (I think) because it builds up a breadcrumb trail of who has been where, and which direction they are heading, including yourself, because the returns from the digipeaters log as well.
        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
            twobores wrote:
            > Down here in Sunny Australia, we use the Nuvi 310. It does the messaging OK, and due to the Coriolis Effect it logs all the stations seen in Favourites. The stations seen remain on the screen until you zap Favourites.
            > Which is good (I think) because it builds up a breadcrumb trail of who has been where, and which direction they are heading, including yourself, because the returns from the digipeaters log as well.

            The 350 also accumulates the stations you've seen in favorites, but only
            the most recently received position. It updates the station position
            rather than doing the breadcrumb effect. If you live in an area with
            lots of APRS activity, anything but a 350 will fill up the Favorites
            rather quickly.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Alinco DR-135/T2-135/Nuvi 350s as KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
          • jbatey05
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
              Thanks for the info all. That's pretty much what I gathered. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks again.
              Jason
              KD7YJZ
            • Ronny Julian
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                I've looked and can't tell if there is a GPS in this and it just needs an antenna or is it going to use a Deluo style all in one unit?  Can Scotts units be interfaced to it?

                Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

                Ronny K4RJJ

              • Bill V WA7NWP
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                  > Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

                  Kenwood fixed that with the D710... It works well with packet data
                  both for WL2K and other modes...

                  Bill - WA7NWP
                • Myles Thomas
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                    I haven't actually seen one yet but have done some research for future purchase. They only came out on Jan.8th. There is both an internal and external GPS as an additional option. I don't know if they are proprietary or not. The internal GPS installs on top of the back of the control head. So it would work if installed on the dash of car so it could see the sky through the windshield. The external GPS comes with a 10' cable for installation or there is an optional 20' extension cable. There is a data port on the back of the radio. So it should have other capabilities. You can download the manuals in PDF format from the Yaesu website. There is an operating manual for the radio and a separate manual for the APRS functions.

                    Myles KL1NU

                    To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                      I was just getting around to that.  I'll give a call to Yaesu Tuesday and see what they say on an external GPS.

                      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                      From: k4rjj@...
                      Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:17:41 -0800

                      I've looked and can't tell if there is a GPS in this and it just needs an antenna or is it going to use a Deluo style all in one unit?  Can Scotts units be interfaced to it?

                      Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

                      Ronny K4RJJ

                    • Randy Love
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                        here is a very good review of the FTM-350R. The guy talks about the GPS unit that is mounted to the control head and various other things about the radio.

                        http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-bands-vhf-uhf-rigs/40252-review-new-yaesu-ftm-350-a.html

                        Or, the tinyurl is:

                        http://tinyurl.com/ftm-350r-review

                        Enjoy es 73,
                        Randy
                        WF5X

                        To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                          Thanks for that.  This looks good!  I also went to 3 ham store sites and added up a dream machine cost.  929.65 average.  Gotta get tires and a tune up on my Ford before I can spend a grand on this.

                          To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                          From: k4rjj@...
                          Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:17:41 -0800

                          I've looked and can't tell if there is a GPS in this and it just needs an antenna or is it going to use a Deluo style all in one unit?  Can Scotts units be interfaced to it?

                          Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.

                          Ronny K4RJJ

                        • dwainegarden
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 25, 2010
                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

                            > > Is this going to be like Kenwood and only be usefull for APRS?  If so this is a big mistake on Yaesus part.  At least KISS mode with a larger buffer would be good.
                            >
                            > Kenwood fixed that with the D710... It works well with packet data
                            > both for WL2K and other modes...
                            >
                            > Bill - WA7NWP

                            I have the D710 and it works great with packet. The Kenwood D710 display is also more polished than the Yaesus 350R.

                            Dwaine
                            VE3GIF
                          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 26, 2010
                              dwainegarden wrote:
                              > I have the D710 and it works great with packet. The Kenwood D710 display is also more polished than the Yaesus 350R.

                              Please define "more polished" in more detail. You've actually compared
                              them side-by-side in actual (preferably APRS) operations? Or is this an
                              opinion based on examining documentation (manuals) of one vs the other?

                              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Needing to know LOT$ more before $pending