Too Much Tinkering!

  • cwo4davemann
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2009
      Hi Group,

      I am having a bear of a time with the T2-FC301 tracker-transceiver combination device.

      I admit right up front that I have tinkered with settings, levels and so forth, in the usual Ham Radio manner. However, I DID read all instructions first.

      I have gotten some great advice from WA4SCA, W4PHS and KI4PSI .. but I would like to float this message past all of you for your advice and/or comments:

      I am using a terminal serial port application to access the TT2 and receive the "cmd:" line without a problem. I can do a DISP and see every setting. I can write a parameter, for example MYCALL and change it. That change survives a power on/off cycle.

      Evidently, some of the changes I made prevent the TT2 from sending data; I've had it on the test bench for the past 5 days hooked to a 1/4 wave whip with good connectivity to the nearest IGATES and Digi's. So, I know the signal can get out IF it is going to get sent.

      Question #1: How to set the TT2 back to "default" -- meaning to get rid of all the "changes" I made. I think some of the settings that I tried are preventing the TT2 from sending data.

      Question #2: Setting the RF power output on the FC301 continues to elude me. One advice I received told me that the TXPOWER setting is what I should use, where TXPOWER = 0 is no RF output and TXPOWER = 250 is the full output of about 7.5 watts RF. No matter how I set TXPOWER the measured RF output is only about 750mw. This suggests a bad final amplifier stage, but the system is new.

      Question #3: Does the FC301 with TT2 board option have separate parameters which prevent the FC301 Application from Friend Com from working? I wrote a note here before that even with the TT2 daughter board removed from the FC301, the FC301 programming application still does not connect to the radio.

      Question #4: This TT2-FC301 combination is going to be the guts of a portable emergency digipeter, contained inside a large (20mm ammo can) metal container. The plan is to place it on a high point in an area where there is marginal or non-existent digipeter coverage. Some of the "hollers" (hollows) in our mountain areas are black holes for reliable coverage during bike or foot races and other exercises where our organization participates providing commo. Please guide me with advice on how to set up the various instructions (WIDE1-1, etc etc).

      I really apprecaite the help we have gotten in the past from the group.

      Many thanks in advance and please you all have a Merry Christmas!

      Dave
      N4CVX
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2009
        The otwincfg program has the option of erasing the device and
        downloading new firmware. This is the only way I've tried to do a
        factory reset.

        The T2-301 is NOT an FC301, even if you remove the T2-301 board. All
        configuration must be done through the T2.

        The correct command to set the power is SETPOWER, not txpower.

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/T2-301

        T2 digi setup is covered in the manual:

        http://www.argentdata.com/support/tracker2_manual.pdf

        BTW, it's a T2, not a "TT"2. TT is tinytrack - a similar but
        competing family of devices. Coke != Pepsi. (:

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Dale Seaburg
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2009
          cwo4davemann wrote:

          > Hi Group,
          >
          > I am having a bear of a time with the T2-FC301 tracker-transceiver
          > combination device.

          snip...

          > Question #1: How to set the TT2 back to "default" -- meaning to get
          > rid of all the "changes" I made. I think some of the settings that I
          > tried are preventing the TT2 from sending data.

          It would appear to me that the easiest and quickest way would be to
          reload the T2 with fresh firmware. Notice the checkbox option on the
          first window of the configuration tool. It allows you to erase and load
          new firmware into your tracker.

          73 - Dale. KG5LT
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2009
            > The T2-301 is NOT an FC301, even if you remove the T2-301 board. All
            > configuration must be done through the T2.

            You can, however, remove the T2-301 board and install a bridge board and
            it's a plain FC-301/D again. But for use with the T2-301 that's not
            necessary.

            Scott
          • Dan Zubey
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2009
              Does the 301 have some way to take audio out and in to the device?

              I'd like to possibly use it as a regular radio sometimes too.

              -Dan n7nmd

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 26, 2009
                Not with the T2-301 board installed. I can send you the bridge board if
                you want to pull it out sometimes.

                Scott