RE: [tracker2] Re: How do we go about testing various Nuvi for compatibility with the Tracker?

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2009
      New England Division checking in!
      Fred
      N7FMH

      From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of James Ewen
      Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 23:08
      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] Re: How do we go about testing various Nuvi for compatibility with the Tracker?

      On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Scott Miller <scott@opentrac. org> wrote:

      >> Garmin seems to be looking for partners. Scott has been at the leading
      >> edge of using Garmins with APRS. Here is Garmin's web page for partners,
      >> it has a link to sign up:
      >
      > Last time I looked into that, I didn't meet the minimum requirements.  I
      > don't remember all of them, but I think the killer was something like 5
      > or 10 full-time employees.

      Does Garmin set out requirements for "full-time " employees? I could
      be a full-time employee that works for really cheap... just don't
      expect much for output, and I might be a little lax on my "show up
      time" occasionally. I'm sure that there are a few more similar full
      time employees lurking about. We can jump through the Garmin hoops if
      they make them big enough!

      There are a bunch of us that do what might be considered "customer
      support" work for Argent Data in a telecommute style on a very regular
      basis. At our current wages, it might be difficult to fire us! 8)

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2009
        > Midwest division here...

        The guy who buys parts and test fixtures and such for me in China ships
        stuff with invoices from "Argent Data Systems, Shenzhen Branch". I
        always get a kick out of that.

        My VoIP provider lets me add inbound numbers in about a dozen different
        countries for a buck or two a month. Always thought it would be funny
        to get a bunch of them, have a map of our 'global offices' on the
        website, and then when you call a number it's always the same person,
        but with a different fake accent.

        Scott
      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 24, 2009
          On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

          Always thought it would be funny
          to get a bunch of them, have a map of our 'global offices' on the
          website, and then when you call a number it's always the same person,
          but with a different fake accent.

          I like it. Especially if you had a number for France and did the Monty Python French accent.

          "Of course I am in France, why else would have this OUTRAGEOUS accent!!!"