Ok Now What?

  • Brian B. Riley (N1BQ)
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
      Board seems to be  up and running ...

      No Smoke, No Shorts. I Put power to it with chips in place and I get a flashing red/green LED.

      Downloaded all the the OT2 Stuff from the "development" Menu, connected a  DB9F to DB9F serial cable with a Null Modem adapter and after several rounds of nothing happening when I selected COM1, "erase", and removed/restored power, it finally asked me for a filename. I gave it OT2.s19, the LED went to solid green and the screen said "standby writing data" and ... NADA ... it just sits there no progress bar, nothing ... I crashed out of the program and started from scratch, and the same thing, flashing red/green LED turns to solid green, and nothing.

       Now What?

      cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont

    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
        Try connecting power AFTER you click the 'connect' button.  Might be more reliable in this case.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
          what is the name of the EXE file I should be using? I tried both versions and got same results,  light goes steady green, progress window opens and says 'standby writing data' then nothing.  let it sit once for 20 minutes.

          On Mar 31, 2006, at 5:12 PM, <scott@...> wrote:

[...]

          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Ham radio

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Brian B. Riley (N1BQ)
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
            well, that is what seemed to do it earlier. I went back and tried it again, and this time I cannot get past the "waiting to connect reset the open tracker message"

            There is no documentation here so I am flying blind.

            First of all what is the significance of the LED flashing green/red ??? It seems like that is a normal state for the bootloader running?????

            When it did let me get to selecting a firmware file, the LED changed to all green, what does that mean?

            I have checked resistor and cap values against the list and all that seems right. I put my extra magnifier on and checked for solder bridges and that's OK.

            I simply don't know to which way to go at this point.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
              The bootloader flashes red when it first starts, then green when the clock oscillator starts.  If no other code is loaded, it immediately resets and you get the red/green flashing pattern.

              Are you using a USB to serial adapter?  What operating system?

              Scott

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
                normal real serial ports (16550s I think) WinXP on an Athlon 2100+ core with 1GB RAM)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
                    Hmm, not sure what would be causing that then.  I've never had it hang during programming.  Do you have another computer you could try it with?

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
                      two  others, one running XP Home and an old Thinkpad 365 XD with Win 98 SE.

                       I will give them a try tomorrow morning.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
                        Ok.  For what it's worth, production units won't require this initial load - they'll have a working firmware image loaded already, which should reduce a lot of the difficulties.

                        Also, I found some connector shells like the ones you see for gender changers - I'm going to see if I can fit a MAX232 adapter in one.  If so, I'll make a bunch of those for GPS receivers and weather stations that need true RS-232 levels.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
                          Scott, do you have a basic schematic for the
                          MAX232/Inverter circuit? When we talked you told me
                          that the serial routine was already inverted, so an
                          addition transistor will have to be added after the
                          MAX232 to "un-invert" the signal. I think I have
                          enough parts laying on my bench to make up somthing
                          for testing.

                          Jason KE4NYV
                          RPC Electronics
                          www.rpc-electronics.com

                          --- scott@... wrote:

                          > Ok. For what it's worth, production units won't
                          > require this initial load -
                          > they'll have a working firmware image loaded
                          > already, which should reduce a
                          > lot of the difficulties.
                          >
                          > Also, I found some connector shells like the ones
                          > you see for gender
                          > changers - I'm going to see if I can fit a MAX232
                          > adapter in one. If so,
                          > I'll make a bunch of those for GPS receivers and
                          > weather stations that need
                          > true RS-232 levels.
                          >
                          > Scott
                          >

                          > _____

                          +craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=YqiuyVwjnQFdynnsmMwVWg>
                          > hobby
                          > Hobby

                          2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=VduRJqNqUo9QkUiTI-knAA>
                          > and craft supply Ham

                          raft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=sl_TRqZTiP_WHSLe6P3ybA>
                          > radio
                          >
                          > _____

                          === message truncated ===
                        • scott@opentrac.org
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
                            Before the MAX232, actually.. it'll most likely be a 2N3904 with a pull up
                            to 5 volts, so that an input on the base pulls it low - same as the RX side
                            of the tracker itself. I'll come up with a schematic after I get the shells
                            and see what will fit.

                            Scott

                          • Ian ZL1VFO
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                              > Message: 15
                              > Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:49:50 -0800
                              > From: <scott@...>
                              > Subject: RE: Ok Now What?
                              >
                              > Before the MAX232, actually.. it'll most likely be a 2N3904 with a pull up
                              > to 5 volts, so that an input on the base pulls it low - same as the RX side
                              > of the tracker itself. I'll come up with a schematic after I get the shells
                              > and see what will fit.

                              > Scott

                              Well, since the MAX232 has 2 line drivers and 2 line receivers, all 4
                              of which are inverters, couldn't you just use the 'spare' inverters
                              to re-invert back to normal? I've done just that on my home made
                              TinyTrak board - it's been working reliably for several years now.

                              Let's see, looking at my notes for what I did, <rummage, rummage> the
                              uController TxD line joined to the MAX232's pin11 (T1in),
                              pin14 (T1out) to pin10 (T2in), pin7 (T2out) to the DB9 TxD.

                              Going back the other way, DB9 RxD to pin8 (R2in),
                              pin9 (R2out) to pin13 (R1in), Pin12 (R1out) back to RxD on the
                              uController.

                              I also have 2 rows of 4 jumper pins connected to this circuit, so I
                              could jumper them either as 2 inverters in series (no inversion), or 2
                              inverters in parallel (inversion) for each direction, depending on
                              what was required at the time.

                              I may be able to draw it out & post it in the files section, if
                              anyone's interested.

                              73,
                              Ian ZL1VFO

                            • scott@opentrac.org
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                                Wouldn't that mean putting +/- 9 volts on TTL inputs? Will the MAX232
                                tolerate that?

                                Scott

                              • Ian ZL1VFO
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                                  > Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:32:05 -0800
                                  > From: <scott@...>
                                  > Subject: RE: Ok Now What?

                                  > Wouldn't that mean putting +/- 9 volts on TTL inputs? Will the MAX232
                                  > tolerate that?

                                  > Scott

                                  Well, mine and a few other Hams I've done boards for have been running
                                  like that for a several years now, with no ill effects.

                                  I suppose adding (say) a 10k resistor between pin14 (T1out) & pin10
                                  (T2in) would reduce the amount of current flowing into pin 10 and
                                  onwards through whatever input protection diodes there are inside the
                                  MAX232. If I get a bit of time tommorow I might try various
                                  resistances and see what effect it has on the voltages applied to
                                  pin10 (T2in) while watching it with a 'scope.

                                  Ian ZL1VFO