Re: [tracker2] OT2 ProtoC Up an Running

  • Mark Miller
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 12 5:11 PM
      Jim,

      Thanks. I checked the TX out pin on the controller and the Max232 and it is
      inverted compared to the RX pins. Somehow I caused the TX output to invert.

      73,

      Mark N5RFX

    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 12 6:52 PM
        I should have mentioned this before, but DON'T run the 'bootloader update' firmware until I get a chance to modify it so that it preserves the hardware config flags.  That's apparently not the problem you're seeing, though, or you wouldn't be able to get into the config program.

        I think what probably happened is that I forgot to increment the version number, and what's on the website now is the older firmware that doesn't check the invert flag.

        I'll get new firmware posted this evening.  I've added the MAXRANGE command, which sets a range limit on waypoint output from 1 to 255 miles.  I spent a couple more hours working on the demodulator performance, but for the moment I've got it rolled back to where I started.  I really need to find myself a good comm test set sometime - it'd make a lot of this testing easier.

        Scott

        At 05:47 PM 9/12/2006, you wrote:
        >Mark,
        >
        >Try quitting your terminal emulator / serial communications program. I've
        >seen
        >quite a few that will go into a weird mode and start displaying garbage.
        >
        >-Jim

      • Mark Miller
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 12 7:06 PM
          Scott,

          What are you looking to do? What tests would you like to perform?

          I'll let you and the group know how the new firmware works out. The OT2
          Proto C is plugging away as a digipeater right now as N%RFX-6, I just can't
          see any traffic.

          One more thing, is there a way to get out of KISS mode, while in the KISS mode?

          73,

          Mark N5RFX

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 12 8:26 PM
            Things like setting the deviation for the DR-135T version, and especially for making sure the preemphasis/deemphasis stuff is working right.  The T2-135 is connected to the discriminator output, so I've eliminated the input filter on the assumption that transmitter preemphasis will tend to keep the high tone higher than the low tone in amplitude (the 2211 tolerates twist better in that direction).  The filter is instead moved to the output to provide preemphasis (unlike the D700, which transmits flat) and it'd be nice to see if the performance really matches what my SPICE simulations predict.

            As for getting out of KISS mode, I've set up the new firmware to accept the standard KISS exit command (0xFF) - previously that just made it reset.  Now the reset command is 0xFE (used by the config program) and the exit command is the same as issuing a 'KISS OFF' command.  I did notice that in UI-View you'll either have to tweak the TNC files to not send the exit command, or to send a KISS ON when it starts, since the setting is non-volatile.

            You can also send the command remotely if you get stuck - just make sure you put yourself in the AUTHLIST!

            At 08:52 PM 9/12/2006, you wrote:
            >I really need to find myself a good comm test set sometime - it'd make a
            >lot of this testing easier.

          • Cap Pennell
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 12 10:17 PM
              I see:
              N5RFX-6>APOT2A,WA0D*,qAR,WA0D-5:!3240.08N/09711.53W- 13.8V 82F
              N5RFX-6>APOT2A,K5FTW-5*,qAR,WA0D-5:!3240.08N/09711.53W- 13.6V 80F
              N5RFX-6>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,qAR,WA0D-5:!3240.08N/09711.53W- 13.5V 82F

              Early days of course but N5RFX-6 is showing a house symbol on the map
              instead of a digi symbol with a 1 overlay or a S overlay (you know). And
              it's not yet indicating in it's posit packet whether it's a fill-in digi
              (with a 1 overlay) or a "W2,TXn" digi (with a S overlay) either. hi

              Maybe:
              COMMENT PHG5110/W1,fill-in/Kennedale
              SYMBOL 1#

              73, Cap

            • Mark Miller
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 13 1:48 AM
                How do I do a SYMBOL 1#?

                73,

                Mark N5RFX

                >SYMBOL 1#
                >
                >73, Cap
              • Mark Miller
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 13 2:35 AM
                  Never mind I see.

                  Thanks for the suggestions Cap.

                  73,

                  Mark N5RFX

                  At 03:48 AM 9/13/2006, you wrote:

                  >How do I do a SYMBOL 1#?
                  >
                  >73,
                  >
                  >Mark N5RFX
                • James Jefferson Jarvis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 13 6:56 AM
                    > I'll get new firmware posted this evening. I've added the MAXRANGE
                    > command, which sets a range limit on waypoint output from 1 to 255 miles.
                    > I spent a couple more hours working on the demodulator performance, but for
                    > the moment I've got it rolled back to where I started. I really need to
                    > find myself a good comm test set sometime - it'd make a lot of this testing
                    > easier.

                    I'm no expert, but I did have the pleasure of using a Motorola Communications
                    System Analyzer last week. It is very nice. The local 2-way tech uses it for
                    all of his field work. Spectrum analyzer, service monitor, and tons more
                    built into one package. There are some previous generations for sale on eBay
                    in the few thousand dollar range.

                    -Jim
                  • scott@opentrac.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 13 8:08 AM
                      Yeah, I've used one of those at the local Motorola shop.  The guys there said it was around $30k.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 13 8:20 AM
                        There are two on eBay right now. One is $738 and another has a $1,500
                        buy it now option.

                        -Jim

                        scott@... wrote:

                        > Yeah, I've used one of those at the local Motorola shop. The guys
                        > there said it was around $30k.

                      • Cap Pennell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 13 9:33 AM
                          Fine business, Mark. Now you're showing a fill-in digi symbol on the map
                          (digi star symbol with a 1 overlay character) and indicating your station
                          digipeats WIDE1-1 ONLY (and MYcall). Looks good.
                          http://map.findu.com/N5RFX-6
                          N5RFX-6>APOT2A,WA0D*,qAR,WA0D-5:!3240.08N109711.53W# 13.5V 78F
                          PHG7130/W1,fill-in/S. Arlington TX
                          73, Cap KE6AFE