Re: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi 350 with Tracker 2

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2009
      Keith VA3QF wrote...

      > Alinco DR-135T and Tracker 2 internal board... Nuvi 350.
      > 1) Will my existing Favorite waypoints... be overwritten or "bumped"
      > by APRS waypoints?

      No, not unless perhaps your waypoint name is the same as a callsign-SSID
      in use in your area.

      > 2) Can the 350 still be used to find a route to my business Favorite
      > locations while connected to the Tracker 2?

      Yes, as well as to APRS stations.

      > Finally, a general question - for what applications do people use the
      > Short Message Service built into APRS?

      It's only limited by your own imagination. For some applications, it
      might be quicker to pick up the mic and make a voice call. When the
      other station is away from the radio, an APRS message will be waiting
      for them when they get back. As well as APRS messaging, you can
      re-program T2-135. Some examples of messages...

      pick up milk / bread
      pick up kids
      won lottery - don't tell anyone!
      subject found deceased
      see you at coffee 10 am
      club meeting moved to Tom's house
      bridge closed until tomorrow morning
      ran out of gas - HT battery dead
      gas 75 cents per litre
      ?hospital (querying an "infokiosk")
      what frequency are you on?
      are you running the net tonight?
      I picked up some more 1 inch pvc for tomorrow
      good opening on 6M
      send water and blankets to EOC

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH