rev c notes

  • James Jefferson Jarvis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2006
      Here are my notes that I sent in a private e-mail to Scott. The second part is
      my suggestions for making the kit easier to assemble and use. Perhaps other
      people have comments on this.

      -Jim KB0THN

      ----------

      Scott,

      I put together 99% of my rev c board on Saturday. Here are some notes:

      C1 is not labeled well, it is covered by the DIP

      C7 the spacing of the leads is wider than the hole spacing

      D1, D2 hard to read legend (which direction do they point?)

      Q1, Q2, Q3 there is only one

      I was missing R21. I think I have one. No big deal.

      R22 label was pretty far away from the pads

      Y1 perhaps smaller holes would be better

      The 0.1uF caps for the MAX232 are covered by the dip shrink socket. I
      installed it first and I never even saw the legend marks.

      Also the markings for the TO-220's are covered when the part is installed.

      Overall, I found the silk screen legend somewhat hard to follow. It's probably
      a personal preference thing. I prefer boxes because they show which direction
      the component goes. The little cap symbols are cute, but there isn't as much
      ink showing which direction things point.

      The mounting hole for the TO-220 could be a little further away from the pads.
      I believe it is closer than the package specifications / recommendations
      allow. They don't want bends in the thick part of the legs.

      Descriptive labels for the connectors we be more useful than Xx. Power,
      Serial, Radio, 1-wire.

      If you are using Gold Phoenix, they include bottom silk screen in their
      prices. I would consider printing a jumper legend on the bottom of the board.
      People seem to really like that on my APO3.

      Hopefully these suggestions are useful. You probably have the same thing I do.
      You having working on and building these designs hundreds of times. Basically
      we are too close to what we do...

      I haven't powered by unit up yet, so perhaps I'll have more comments later.

      Good work and thanks,

      -Jim