Nuvi 350 to Serial Port A or B?

  • kb4pzo
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
      Everyone,

      While I'm waiting for my OT2m to arrive I'm trying to decide which serial port to connect the nuvi 350 to. My fist thought was use Port A however now that I've done more reading it seems like it might be good to connect the nuvi to Port B and leave Port A available for Command Console Input. This is based on the information that EITHER port can be configured to Garmin mode, but ONLY Port A can act as Command Console Input. Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions connecting nuvi 350 to Port B and using Port A as Command Console input?

      Thanks in advance,
      Tim
      KB4PZO
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
        Tim,

        A lot depends on your use and installation. For general operation, I just use port A for the Nuvi. If I know I will need the console, then yes use port B for the Nuvi and have port A available to connect with a computer or other terminal unit. Just remember to NOT set both port A and port B to GARMIN mode.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:

        > Everyone,
        >
        > While I'm waiting for my OT2m to arrive I'm trying to decide which serial port to connect the nuvi 350 to. My fist thought was use Port A however now that I've done more reading it seems like it might be good to connect the nuvi to Port B and leave Port A available for Command Console Input. This is based on the information that EITHER port can be configured to Garmin mode, but ONLY Port A can act as Command Console Input. Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions connecting nuvi 350 to Port B and using Port A as Command Console input?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Tim
        > KB4PZO

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
          One consideration if you're using the T2-135 embedded in an Alinco
          (possibly the external OT2m is the same, but I don't run one personally)
          is that the Nuvi 350 cable is natively wired for Port A. If you want to
          use it on Port B, you'll have to have a splitter in line all the time.

          Even if Port A is in Garmin mode, you can still break into the command
          prompt via a terminal emulator immediately after power-up.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - T2-135s as KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
            You can't use port B on the T2-135 for Garmin mode - it's input only.
            Works fine on the OT2m.

            Scott

            Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            > One consideration if you're using the T2-135 embedded in an Alinco
            > (possibly the external OT2m is the same, but I don't run one personally)
            > is that the Nuvi 350 cable is natively wired for Port A. If you want to
            > use it on Port B, you'll have to have a splitter in line all the time.
            >
            > Even if Port A is in Garmin mode, you can still break into the command
            > prompt via a terminal emulator immediately after power-up.
            >
            > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - T2-135s as KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
            >
            > kb4pzo wrote:
            > > Everyone,
            > >
            > > While I'm waiting for my OT2m to arrive I'm trying to decide which
            > serial port to connect the nuvi 350 to. My fist thought was use Port A
            > however now that I've done more reading it seems like it might be good
            > to connect the nuvi to Port B and leave Port A available for Command
            > Console Input. This is based on the information that EITHER port can be
            > configured to Garmin mode, but ONLY Port A can act as Command Console
            > Input. Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions connecting nuvi
            > 350 to Port B and using Port A as Command Console input?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance,
            > > Tim
            > > KB4PZO

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
              Scott Miller wrote:
              > You can't use port B on the T2-135 for Garmin mode - it's input only.
              > Works fine on the OT2m.

              Right, I knew that, call it a senior moment. It dates back to the
              poster that described how to re-wire the T2-135 to bring Port B out the
              rear connector so that it becomes bi-directional and available via a
              splitter. Or is that a bad memory as well?

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                Yeah, you can bring port B out on the 135, but it takes some work.

                Scott

                Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                > Scott Miller wrote:
                >> You can't use port B on the T2-135 for Garmin mode - it's input only.
                >> Works fine on the OT2m.
                >>

                > Right, I knew that, call it a senior moment. It dates back to the
                > poster that described how to re-wire the T2-135 to bring Port B out the
                > rear connector so that it becomes bi-directional and available via a
                > splitter. Or is that a bad memory as well?
                >
                > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              • Mark Cheavens
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                  Not a bad memory,
                  That is how mine is wired.

                  I think I posted the schematic as well.

                  Mark
                  KC5EVE
                  At 12:21 PM 12/5/2009, you wrote:
                  >Scott Miller wrote:
                  > > You can't use port B on the T2-135 for Garmin mode - it's input only.
                  > > Works fine on the OT2m.
                  > >

                  >Right, I knew that, call it a senior moment. It dates back to the
                  >poster that described how to re-wire the T2-135 to bring Port B out the
                  >rear connector so that it becomes bi-directional and available via a
                  >splitter. Or is that a bad memory as well?
                  >
                  >Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                • kb4pzo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                    Larry,

                    Since I'm making a custom cable anyway, I think I wire the nuvi to Port B based on your comments. My setup consists of a Yaesu FT-8800, OT2m, and of course the nuvi 350. Since my OT2m will be mounted within easy reach in the front of the car, I thought I'd make it easy to connect my laptop for configuration etc.

                    Thanks for the feedback!

                    Tim
                    KB4PZO

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                    > Tim,
                    >
                    > A lot depends on your use and installation. For general operation, I just use port A for the Nuvi. If I know I will need the console, then yes use port B for the Nuvi and have port A available to connect with a computer or other terminal unit. Just remember to NOT set both port A and port B to GARMIN mode.
                    >
                    > Larry
                    > K7YBZ
                    >

                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Everyone,
                    > >
                    > > While I'm waiting for my OT2m to arrive I'm trying to decide which serial port to connect the nuvi 350 to. My fist thought was use Port A however now that I've done more reading it seems like it might be good to connect the nuvi to Port B and leave Port A available for Command Console Input. This is based on the information that EITHER port can be configured to Garmin mode, but ONLY Port A can act as Command Console Input. Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions connecting nuvi 350 to Port B and using Port A as Command Console input?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks in advance,
                    > > Tim
                    > > KB4PZO

                  • kb4pzo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                      Lynn, Scott,

                      Thanks for the input! I'm looking forward to receipt of my OT2m and getting it into the mobile.

                      Tim

                    • wyoming_semi_driver@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                        why not just use the Nuvi 350 to for configuration of the tracker2? that way its less cable and less to hook up in the car. thatÂ’s the main reason for me going with the tracker2 setup is so I can change setting on the fly with the Nuvi 350 in the semi truck.
                        K7CDL
                        Ron

                        href="mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com">tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:

                        > > Everyone,
                        > >
                        > > While I'm waiting for my OT2m to arrive I'm trying to decide
                        which serial port to connect the nuvi 350 to. My fist thought was use Port A however now that I've done more reading it seems like it might be good to connect the nuvi to Port B and leave Port A available for Command Console Input. This is based on the information that EITHER port can be configured to Garmin mode, but ONLY Port A can act as Command Console Input. Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions connecting nuvi 350 to Port B and using Port A as Command Console input?

                        > > Thanks in advance,
                        > > Tim
                        > > KB4PZO

                      • kb4pzo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                          Ron,

                          Very interesting, I didn't know you could use the nuvi 350 to configure the OT2m. Thanks for the suggestion! Can you point me to any documentation on how to do that?

                          Tim

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                            I will send you a email direct in just a min with all pdf files.
                            K7CDL
                            Ron

                            Very interesting, I didn't know you could use the nuvi 350 to configure the OT2m. Thanks for the suggestion! Can you point me to any documentation on how to do that?

                            Tim

                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, <wyoming_semi_ driver@.. .> wrote:

                            > why not just
                            use the Nuvi 350 to for configuration of the tracker2? that way its less cable and less to hook up in the car. that's the main reason for me going with the tracker2 setup is so I can change setting on the fly with the Nuvi 350 in the semi truck.
                            > K7CDL
                            > Ron

                            feedback!

                            href="mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com">tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@> wrote:

                            > > Tim,
                            > >
                            > > A lot depends on your use and installation. For general operation,
                            I just use port A for the Nuvi. If I know I will need the console, then yes use port B for the Nuvi and have port A available to connect with a computer or other terminal unit. Just remember to NOT set both port A and port B to GARMIN mode.

                            > > Larry
                            > > K7YBZ
                            > >

                            > > --- In
                            href="mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com">tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:

                            > > > Everyone,
                            > > >
                            > > > While I'm waiting for my OT2m to arrive
                            I'm trying to decide which serial port to connect the nuvi 350 to. My fist thought was use Port A however now that I've done more reading it seems like it might be good to connect the nuvi to Port B and leave Port A available for Command Console Input. This is based on the information that EITHER port can be configured to Garmin mode, but ONLY Port A can act as Command Console Input. Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions connecting nuvi 350 to Port B and using Port A as Command Console input?

                            Thanks in advance,
                            > > > Tim
                            > > > KB4PZO

                          • k7ybz
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                              Tim,

                              You can use the Nuvi to send some setup commands to the OT2, but not all settings are accessible. However, most of the "on-the-fly" settings are there.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                              here is all the files you will need they can also be found on the groups files.
                              K7CDL
                              Ron

                              You can use the Nuvi to send some setup commands to the OT2, but not all settings are accessible. However, most of the "on-the-fly" settings are there.

                              Larry
                              K7YBZ

                              --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:

                              > Ron,
                              >
                              > Very
                              interesting, I didn't know you could use the nuvi 350 to configure the OT2m. Thanks for the suggestion! Can you point me to any documentation on how to do that?

                              > Tim

                            • kb4pzo
                              Message 15 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                                Got the files via email. Thanks Again!