Re: [tracker2] Re: battery of the PX

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
      On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM, cwo4davemann <n4cvx@...> wrote:

      > Goal #2 is to design in capability for a PowerPole connection to the PX-777 when used as an APRS permanent installation transceiver.

      option 1: buy the cig lighter adapter, chop of the lighter plug and
      apply power poles.

      option 2: disembowel a (preferably useless) battery pack to gain
      access to the contacts, build a power supply circuit (if needed) and
      use the battery case shell to house it.

      I don't see this for the PX777, but option 3: buy a AA battery case
      and use that to house the power supply and PP cable.

      I haven't done this with a PX777, but I've done all 3 with other radios.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • gervais
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
        Scott,thanks for the response.
        the PX works great here,,,,and since Keith gave a me a link to the english
        manual i can programm it now.
        yes i baught the cig-adapter but i also want to use here around the house
        so the battery should be ok.
        i have found by experiences that battery is a world in themself.
        i baught some from all over the world and have paid sometime to much for
        junks,,,,sometime i made great deal.
        As the PX will be sell we will find good battery,
        But again thank s for your response
        i will mail it next week,for now i am going outside ,,,
        we have some snow falling here ,,,:-))))))))))))

        gervais ve2ckn

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
          Gervais VE2CKN wrote...

          > my battery of my new does not stay charge at all for a long time, I
          > have been lucky if it stay 3/4 day on...

          09:00... I turned a PX-777 on with a fully-charged stock 1200 mAh
          battery attached. I have the backlight on all of the time and the radio
          is scanning. The frequencies I'm scanning aren't too busy, but there is
          some activity. I've used the radio quite a bit since I got it, sometimes
          in some lengthy QSOs and I've never ran it down. Let's see how long it
          lasts today with it on scan. I don't have the programming cable yet
          (it's on the way) so don't know if "battery save" is enabled, but with
          the radio scanning, it shouldn't make any difference.

          15:00... Six hours and still going. The battery gauge is still showing
          "full" and the radio has seen a few minutes of transmit time. The rest
          of the time it has been scanning continuously.

          16:00... I intended my "run down" test to be mostly scanning, but I just
          had a 20 minute QSO with it. The radio was on low power and I was
          probably transmitting as much as I was receiving during he QSO. That's
          seven hours so far.

          18:45... Radio now showing just two bars on the battery indicator.
          Transmitted (low power) for 30 seconds and still showing two bars. put
          it back on scan. The PX-777 has been on for only 9 hrs 45 mins, but with
          a fair bit of transmit time. I haven't tried measuring what the radio
          draws, but assuming it's in the 100 mA range, it should go for about 12
          hours with no transmit time.

          21:00... That's 12 hours, and still going strong with two bars on the
          battery indicator.

          21:45... I then had a 20-25 minute QSO on low power starting at 21:00.
          When we cleared, it was just dropping down to one bar. I think I would
          have to say that was exceptional performance. Nearly 12 1/2 hours on
          scan with the backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO, and it's still
          scanning.

          21:54... no bars showing and still scanning. I took the battery off for
          a moment and measured 6.79 volts. If I assume a critical voltage of 3 V
          per cell, it should still be OK. I assume the radio will turn off at
          some set voltage. Back on scan after. I then remembered the charging
          terminals on the back... 6.58 V at 22:04 and still capable of
          transmitting.

          22:05... the radio (still on scan) is beeping every few seconds. I
          assume this is a low voltage alarm. Yup, the battery gauge is now
          flashing, at least when it's not scanning, and I measured 6.41 V on the
          back of the battery. The radio will no longer transmit.

          22:13... radio turned itself off and I measured. 0 V on the battery
          whether I use the charge connectors or the ones on the other side. I
          hope there's some protection circuitry in the battery rather than the
          battery actually being zero volts! Discharging much below 3V per cell
          can kill Li-ion batteries! Message to self... if I ever get a low
          battery warning again, turn it off!

          Gervais... I take it you are getting less time out of your battery? I
          got 13 hours and 13 minutes out of it, continuously on scan with the
          backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO (low power) as well.
          If I'm still awake, I'll be able to see how long it took to charge.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
            This pretty much matches my experience with these batteries, though I
            haven't been as scientific in timing it. One of these days I'm going to
            have to measure the self-discharge rate, both connected to the radio and
            separate. I just leave a couple of the radios clipped into the door
            pockets on my Pathfinder, with spare batteries in zip-lock bags, and
            they've always worked when I've needed them. It's a HUGE improvement
            over the NiMH and NiCd packs that have been standard for so long. My
            TH-D7 won't run for any length of time on either of the overpriced
            batteries I've got for it, and it's got to be fresh off the charger if
            you want to use it at all.

            Scott

            Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> [...]
            > assume this is a low voltage alarm. Yup, the battery gauge is now
            > flashing, at least when it's not scanning, and I measured 6.41 V on the
            > back of the battery. The radio will no longer transmit.
            >
            > 22:13... radio turned itself off and I measured. 0 V on the battery
            > whether I use the charge connectors or the ones on the other side. I
            > hope there's some protection circuitry in the battery rather than the
            > battery actually being zero volts! Discharging much below 3V per cell
            > can kill Li-ion batteries! Message to self... if I ever get a low
            > battery warning again, turn it off!
            >
            > Gervais... I take it you are getting less time out of your battery? I
            > got 13 hours and 13 minutes out of it, continuously on scan with the
            > backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO (low power) as well.
            > If I'm still awake, I'll be able to see how long it took to charge.

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
              Scott N1VG wrote...

              > This pretty much matches my experience with these batteries...

              It would be interesting to hear a comment from Gervais about battery
              life for his PX-777. I don't know if he was sitting on one frequency or
              scanning when he said he only got 3/4 of a day out of it, or if any
              transmit time was involved. I got less than 3/4 of a day, but I had the
              backlight on and was scanning continuously as well as the 45+ minutes
              of QSO on low power. I haven't used a PX-777 for APRS yet, but hope
              to get one of the cables wired up today just to have it available.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • gervais
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                Well
                i am saying 3/4 of the day because i left it ON in the morning when i was
                eating my breakfast here,and going at work
                in the afternoon my xyl call me on the phone that she was hearing a weak
                noise in the radio corner here and could not find the source (
                you know that radio-amateur are always clean of,,,,anything) anyway she
                found it in my desk,it was beeping.
                so it was about 14.00 hres in the afternoon and i left home at 07.30 hres.
                it was not scanning at all and no lights.
                it was stanby on my repeater.

                yes there have been improvement on battery from HK and China ..
                and yes NCadmium were much pollution if you want my opinion then performance
                ,

                But the radio is good,better then the JingTong 208 that i all tested on APRS
                ,,,,,,,but this is another story.

                Gervais

                ps tomorow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))
                Scoot how should i connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmiter" on y OT+ so i
                could have the temperature from outside ?

                >> This pretty much matches my experience with these batteries...
                >
                > It would be interesting to hear a comment from Gervais about battery
                > life for his PX-777. I don't know if he was sitting on one frequency or
                > scanning when he said he only got 3/4 of a day out of it, or if any
                > transmit time was involved. I got less than 3/4 of a day, but I had the
                > backlight on and was scanning continuously as well as the 45+ minutes
                > of QSO on low power. I haven't used a PX-777 for APRS yet, but hope
                > to get one of the cables wired up today just to have it available.
                >
                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Gervais VE2CKN wrote...

                  > Well I am saying 3/4 of the day because I left it ON in the morning
                  > when I was eating my breakfast here,and going at work in the afternoon
                  > my xyl call me on the phone that she was hearing a weak noise in the
                  > radio corner here and could not find the source (you know that
                  > radio-amateur are always clean of,,,,anything) anyway she found it in
                  > my desk, it was beeping. so it was about 14.00 hres in the afternoon
                  > and I left home at 07.30 hres. it was not scanning at all and no
                  > lights. it was standby on my repeater.

                  Perhaps you do have a battery that isn't up-to-specs. When I ran my test
                  yesterday, the battery came out of the charger (fully charged) and was
                  connected to a radio with the backlight turned on, and it scanned for 13
                  hours and 13 minutes, with a total of 45+ minutes of QSOs on low power.
                  I was probably responsible for half the transmit time, with sometimes a
                  couple of seconds after the other station dropped the PTT before I hit
                  mine, but I was really impressed that it lasted over 13 hours, let alone
                  with 45 minutes of QSOs included in that 13 hours. Are you sure your
                  battery was charged before you turned it on at 07:30?

                  > ps tomorrow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))

                  Good luck with the PX-777 and the OT+ on your skidoo! Of course,
                  if the battery doesn't last...!

                  > Scott how should I connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmitter" on
                  > my OT+ so I could have the temperature from outside ?

                  You could just remove the temperature sensor on the OT1+ and mount it
                  externally. Message # 6671 on the Tracker 2 group describes adding a
                  DS18S20. I have some on the way. it. According to the OT1+ manual,
                  you can add a DS18S20 to the 1-wire bus. Perhaps the message on
                  the Tracker 2 list will be enough to get you going.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • gervais
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                    Hi Keith
                    well the PX is not yet wired at the OT+,for the moment i have my old buddy
                    FT208 :-)))))).
                    I will send my battery at Scott,if after all that i am still having problem
                    i may suspect the charger:the contact were is connected the battery.
                    i will check the #6671 message,if someone have a picture it will also be
                    welcome for me,,,i am visual you know even if i dont see like i use too.

                    So for now thanks Keith for those emails and 73/s to Scott ffor his services
                    as always first class.

                    gervais ve2ckn
                    bic,quebec

                    >> Well I am saying 3/4 of the day because I left it ON in the morning
                    >> when I was eating my breakfast here,and going at work in the afternoon
                    >> my xyl call me on the phone that she was hearing a weak noise in the
                    >> radio corner here and could not find the source (you know that
                    >> radio-amateur are always clean of,,,,anything) anyway she found it in
                    >> my desk, it was beeping. so it was about 14.00 hres in the afternoon
                    >> and I left home at 07.30 hres. it was not scanning at all and no
                    >> lights. it was standby on my repeater.
                    >
                    > Perhaps you do have a battery that isn't up-to-specs. When I ran my test
                    > yesterday, the battery came out of the charger (fully charged) and was
                    > connected to a radio with the backlight turned on, and it scanned for 13
                    > hours and 13 minutes, with a total of 45+ minutes of QSOs on low power.
                    > I was probably responsible for half the transmit time, with sometimes a
                    > couple of seconds after the other station dropped the PTT before I hit
                    > mine, but I was really impressed that it lasted over 13 hours, let alone
                    > with 45 minutes of QSOs included in that 13 hours. Are you sure your
                    > battery was charged before you turned it on at 07:30?
                    >
                    >> ps tomorrow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))
                    >
                    > Good luck with the PX-777 and the OT+ on your skidoo! Of course,
                    > if the battery doesn't last...!
                    >
                    >> Scott how should I connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmitter" on
                    >> my OT+ so I could have the temperature from outside ?
                    >
                    > You could just remove the temperature sensor on the OT1+ and mount it
                    > externally. Message # 6671 on the Tracker 2 group describes adding a
                    > DS18S20. I have some on the way. it. According to the OT1+ manual,
                    > you can add a DS18S20 to the 1-wire bus. Perhaps the message on
                    > the Tracker 2 list will be enough to get you going.
                    >
                    > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                  • joseph cooksley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                      Battery's .......... I have recently had my Icom handy and my b/d handdrill/screw driver repacked wow what a revelation in performance . Not only are they got the newest freshest replacements but now are almost double the capacity as the original manufactured units !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                      I also had a friends battery drill done at the same time so he is also impressed with the increased performance of his power screw driver as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also a lot than replacement cost of the original units !

                      So search battery repackers for increased performance from your battery packs !

                      ciao

                      Joseph
                      ZL2SCI

                      Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> [...]
                      > assume this is a low voltage alarm. Yup, the battery gauge is now
                      > flashing, at least when it's not scanning, and I measured 6.41 V on the
                      > back of the battery. The radio will no longer transmit.
                      >
                      > 22:13... radio turned itself off and I measured. 0 V on the battery
                      > whether I use the charge connectors or the ones on the other side. I
                      > hope there's some protection circuitry in the battery rather than the
                      > battery actually being zero volts! Discharging much below 3V per cell
                      > can kill Li-ion batteries! Message to self... if I ever get a low
                      > battery warning again, turn it off!
                      >
                      > Gervais... I take it you are getting less time out of your battery? I
                      > got 13 hours and 13 minutes out of it, continuously on scan with the
                      > backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO (low power) as well.
                      > If I'm still awake, I'll be able to see how long it took to charge.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Email slow, clunky, unreliable? Switch to Yahoo!Xtra Mail, New Zealand's new email address.
                    • Dan Zubey
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                        You guys are aware that a given battery will show different capacities
                        based on the load placed on them, right?

                        A 1 ah battery might last 10 hours at 125ma but then only last 5
                        minutes with a 1 amp load.

                        Usually the battery manufacturers rate them at a certain current rate,
                        and outside that range YMMV. You have to measure capacity at the same
                        current level to make comparisons.

                        We've had trouble here in events with hams showing up with radios that
                        preformed well for 10 hours scanning at home, but once they show up to
                        an event and have the radio recieving for a couple hours plus the
                        occational key up, the batteries die quick. Not only is the current
                        higher, but the battery performs differently with the higher load. Its
                        predictable...about an hour into an event some new hams disappear off
                        the net.

                        -Dan n7nmd
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                          Yep, higher internal resistance is a disadvantage over NiCd. Makes
                          Li-ion not as useful for power tools and such. Wonder what it'd take to
                          do timestamped data logging output from my HP 8920A - I'll bet it
                          wouldn't be that hard to set it up to spit the RF power level out over
                          the serial port, and then have the weather station key it up every x
                          seconds and send y seconds of human voice.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                            > ps tomorow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))
                            > Scoot how should i connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmiter" on y OT+ so i
                            > could have the temperature from outside ?

                            On the OT1+ it only works with the 1-wire weather firmware. Not enough
                            code space in the tracker firmware. As for hookup, DQ goes to the
                            1-wire bus, GND to ground.