Re: battery of the PX

  • cwo4davemann
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "gervais" <ve2ckn@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      > my battery of my new does not stay charge at all for a long time,i have been lucky if it stay 3/4 day on,
      > in comparaison my FD150 can stay 2 days without problem,
      > anyone have this problem?
      > This battery dont seems to stay charged a long time.
      > i know i just paid 75$ but ,,,,,
      > no offence Scott here.
      >
      > gervais ve2ckn

      I am conducting a battery longevity test right now using a PX-777 UHF and a PX-777 VHF, this to be followed by installation of an external charging/power socket in the battery case. Goal #1 is to discover average battery life with a 10% transmit duty cycle at 60 degree ambient temperature; Goal #2 is to design in capability for a PowerPole connection to the PX-777 when used as an APRS permanent installation transceiver.

      J'effectue un essai de longévité de batterie en ce moment utilisant une fréquence ultra-haute PX-777 et PX-777 un VHF, ceci à suivre de l'installation de la douille de remplissage/puissance d'un external dans la caisse de batterie. Le em'ploi #1 est de découvrir que la durée de vie de la pile moyenne avec un 10% transmettent le coefficient d'utilisation à la température ambiante de 60 degrés ; Les #2 est de concevoir dans les possibilités pour un raccordement de PowerPole au PX-777 une fois utilisé comme émetteur récepteur permanent d'installation d'APRS.

      73's

      Dave
      N4CVX
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
        On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM, cwo4davemann <n4cvx@...> wrote:

        > Goal #2 is to design in capability for a PowerPole connection to the PX-777 when used as an APRS permanent installation transceiver.

        option 1: buy the cig lighter adapter, chop of the lighter plug and
        apply power poles.

        option 2: disembowel a (preferably useless) battery pack to gain
        access to the contacts, build a power supply circuit (if needed) and
        use the battery case shell to house it.

        I don't see this for the PX777, but option 3: buy a AA battery case
        and use that to house the power supply and PP cable.

        I haven't done this with a PX777, but I've done all 3 with other radios.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • gervais
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
          Scott,thanks for the response.
          the PX works great here,,,,and since Keith gave a me a link to the english
          manual i can programm it now.
          yes i baught the cig-adapter but i also want to use here around the house
          so the battery should be ok.
          i have found by experiences that battery is a world in themself.
          i baught some from all over the world and have paid sometime to much for
          junks,,,,sometime i made great deal.
          As the PX will be sell we will find good battery,
          But again thank s for your response
          i will mail it next week,for now i am going outside ,,,
          we have some snow falling here ,,,:-))))))))))))

          gervais ve2ckn

          >> my battery of my new does not stay charge at all for a long time,i have
          >> been lucky if it stay 3/4 day on,
          >> in comparaison my FD150 can stay 2 days without problem,
          >> anyone have this problem?
          >> This battery dont seems to stay charged a long time.
          >> i know i just paid 75$ but ,,,,,
          >> no offence Scott here.
          >>
          >> gervais ve2ckn
          >>

          > I am conducting a battery longevity test right now using a PX-777 UHF and
          > a PX-777 VHF, this to be followed by installation of an external
          > charging/power socket in the battery case. Goal #1 is to discover average
          > battery life with a 10% transmit duty cycle at 60 degree ambient
          > temperature; Goal #2 is to design in capability for a PowerPole connection
          > to the PX-777 when used as an APRS permanent installation transceiver.
          >
          > J'effectue un essai de longévité de batterie en ce moment utilisant une
          > fréquence ultra-haute PX-777 et PX-777 un VHF, ceci à suivre de
          > l'installation de la douille de remplissage/puissance d'un external dans
          > la caisse de batterie. Le em'ploi #1 est de découvrir que la durée de vie
          > de la pile moyenne avec un 10% transmettent le coefficient d'utilisation à
          > la température ambiante de 60 degrés ; Les #2 est de concevoir dans les
          > possibilités pour un raccordement de PowerPole au PX-777 une fois utilisé
          > comme émetteur récepteur permanent d'installation d'APRS.
          >

          > 73's
          >
          > Dave
          > N4CVX

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
            Gervais VE2CKN wrote...

            > my battery of my new does not stay charge at all for a long time, I
            > have been lucky if it stay 3/4 day on...

            09:00... I turned a PX-777 on with a fully-charged stock 1200 mAh
            battery attached. I have the backlight on all of the time and the radio
            is scanning. The frequencies I'm scanning aren't too busy, but there is
            some activity. I've used the radio quite a bit since I got it, sometimes
            in some lengthy QSOs and I've never ran it down. Let's see how long it
            lasts today with it on scan. I don't have the programming cable yet
            (it's on the way) so don't know if "battery save" is enabled, but with
            the radio scanning, it shouldn't make any difference.

            15:00... Six hours and still going. The battery gauge is still showing
            "full" and the radio has seen a few minutes of transmit time. The rest
            of the time it has been scanning continuously.

            16:00... I intended my "run down" test to be mostly scanning, but I just
            had a 20 minute QSO with it. The radio was on low power and I was
            probably transmitting as much as I was receiving during he QSO. That's
            seven hours so far.

            18:45... Radio now showing just two bars on the battery indicator.
            Transmitted (low power) for 30 seconds and still showing two bars. put
            it back on scan. The PX-777 has been on for only 9 hrs 45 mins, but with
            a fair bit of transmit time. I haven't tried measuring what the radio
            draws, but assuming it's in the 100 mA range, it should go for about 12
            hours with no transmit time.

            21:00... That's 12 hours, and still going strong with two bars on the
            battery indicator.

            21:45... I then had a 20-25 minute QSO on low power starting at 21:00.
            When we cleared, it was just dropping down to one bar. I think I would
            have to say that was exceptional performance. Nearly 12 1/2 hours on
            scan with the backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO, and it's still
            scanning.

            21:54... no bars showing and still scanning. I took the battery off for
            a moment and measured 6.79 volts. If I assume a critical voltage of 3 V
            per cell, it should still be OK. I assume the radio will turn off at
            some set voltage. Back on scan after. I then remembered the charging
            terminals on the back... 6.58 V at 22:04 and still capable of
            transmitting.

            22:05... the radio (still on scan) is beeping every few seconds. I
            assume this is a low voltage alarm. Yup, the battery gauge is now
            flashing, at least when it's not scanning, and I measured 6.41 V on the
            back of the battery. The radio will no longer transmit.

            22:13... radio turned itself off and I measured. 0 V on the battery
            whether I use the charge connectors or the ones on the other side. I
            hope there's some protection circuitry in the battery rather than the
            battery actually being zero volts! Discharging much below 3V per cell
            can kill Li-ion batteries! Message to self... if I ever get a low
            battery warning again, turn it off!

            Gervais... I take it you are getting less time out of your battery? I
            got 13 hours and 13 minutes out of it, continuously on scan with the
            backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO (low power) as well.
            If I'm still awake, I'll be able to see how long it took to charge.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
              This pretty much matches my experience with these batteries, though I
              haven't been as scientific in timing it. One of these days I'm going to
              have to measure the self-discharge rate, both connected to the radio and
              separate. I just leave a couple of the radios clipped into the door
              pockets on my Pathfinder, with spare batteries in zip-lock bags, and
              they've always worked when I've needed them. It's a HUGE improvement
              over the NiMH and NiCd packs that have been standard for so long. My
              TH-D7 won't run for any length of time on either of the overpriced
              batteries I've got for it, and it's got to be fresh off the charger if
              you want to use it at all.

              Scott

              Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> [...]
              > assume this is a low voltage alarm. Yup, the battery gauge is now
              > flashing, at least when it's not scanning, and I measured 6.41 V on the
              > back of the battery. The radio will no longer transmit.
              >
              > 22:13... radio turned itself off and I measured. 0 V on the battery
              > whether I use the charge connectors or the ones on the other side. I
              > hope there's some protection circuitry in the battery rather than the
              > battery actually being zero volts! Discharging much below 3V per cell
              > can kill Li-ion batteries! Message to self... if I ever get a low
              > battery warning again, turn it off!
              >
              > Gervais... I take it you are getting less time out of your battery? I
              > got 13 hours and 13 minutes out of it, continuously on scan with the
              > backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO (low power) as well.
              > If I'm still awake, I'll be able to see how long it took to charge.

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                Scott N1VG wrote...

                > This pretty much matches my experience with these batteries...

                It would be interesting to hear a comment from Gervais about battery
                life for his PX-777. I don't know if he was sitting on one frequency or
                scanning when he said he only got 3/4 of a day out of it, or if any
                transmit time was involved. I got less than 3/4 of a day, but I had the
                backlight on and was scanning continuously as well as the 45+ minutes
                of QSO on low power. I haven't used a PX-777 for APRS yet, but hope
                to get one of the cables wired up today just to have it available.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • gervais
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Well
                  i am saying 3/4 of the day because i left it ON in the morning when i was
                  eating my breakfast here,and going at work
                  in the afternoon my xyl call me on the phone that she was hearing a weak
                  noise in the radio corner here and could not find the source (
                  you know that radio-amateur are always clean of,,,,anything) anyway she
                  found it in my desk,it was beeping.
                  so it was about 14.00 hres in the afternoon and i left home at 07.30 hres.
                  it was not scanning at all and no lights.
                  it was stanby on my repeater.

                  yes there have been improvement on battery from HK and China ..
                  and yes NCadmium were much pollution if you want my opinion then performance
                  ,

                  But the radio is good,better then the JingTong 208 that i all tested on APRS
                  ,,,,,,,but this is another story.

                  Gervais

                  ps tomorow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))
                  Scoot how should i connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmiter" on y OT+ so i
                  could have the temperature from outside ?

                  >> This pretty much matches my experience with these batteries...
                  >
                  > It would be interesting to hear a comment from Gervais about battery
                  > life for his PX-777. I don't know if he was sitting on one frequency or
                  > scanning when he said he only got 3/4 of a day out of it, or if any
                  > transmit time was involved. I got less than 3/4 of a day, but I had the
                  > backlight on and was scanning continuously as well as the 45+ minutes
                  > of QSO on low power. I haven't used a PX-777 for APRS yet, but hope
                  > to get one of the cables wired up today just to have it available.
                  >
                  > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                    Gervais VE2CKN wrote...

                    > Well I am saying 3/4 of the day because I left it ON in the morning
                    > when I was eating my breakfast here,and going at work in the afternoon
                    > my xyl call me on the phone that she was hearing a weak noise in the
                    > radio corner here and could not find the source (you know that
                    > radio-amateur are always clean of,,,,anything) anyway she found it in
                    > my desk, it was beeping. so it was about 14.00 hres in the afternoon
                    > and I left home at 07.30 hres. it was not scanning at all and no
                    > lights. it was standby on my repeater.

                    Perhaps you do have a battery that isn't up-to-specs. When I ran my test
                    yesterday, the battery came out of the charger (fully charged) and was
                    connected to a radio with the backlight turned on, and it scanned for 13
                    hours and 13 minutes, with a total of 45+ minutes of QSOs on low power.
                    I was probably responsible for half the transmit time, with sometimes a
                    couple of seconds after the other station dropped the PTT before I hit
                    mine, but I was really impressed that it lasted over 13 hours, let alone
                    with 45 minutes of QSOs included in that 13 hours. Are you sure your
                    battery was charged before you turned it on at 07:30?

                    > ps tomorrow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))

                    Good luck with the PX-777 and the OT+ on your skidoo! Of course,
                    if the battery doesn't last...!

                    > Scott how should I connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmitter" on
                    > my OT+ so I could have the temperature from outside ?

                    You could just remove the temperature sensor on the OT1+ and mount it
                    externally. Message # 6671 on the Tracker 2 group describes adding a
                    DS18S20. I have some on the way. it. According to the OT1+ manual,
                    you can add a DS18S20 to the 1-wire bus. Perhaps the message on
                    the Tracker 2 list will be enough to get you going.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • gervais
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                      Hi Keith
                      well the PX is not yet wired at the OT+,for the moment i have my old buddy
                      FT208 :-)))))).
                      I will send my battery at Scott,if after all that i am still having problem
                      i may suspect the charger:the contact were is connected the battery.
                      i will check the #6671 message,if someone have a picture it will also be
                      welcome for me,,,i am visual you know even if i dont see like i use too.

                      So for now thanks Keith for those emails and 73/s to Scott ffor his services
                      as always first class.

                      gervais ve2ckn
                      bic,quebec

                      >> Well I am saying 3/4 of the day because I left it ON in the morning
                      >> when I was eating my breakfast here,and going at work in the afternoon
                      >> my xyl call me on the phone that she was hearing a weak noise in the
                      >> radio corner here and could not find the source (you know that
                      >> radio-amateur are always clean of,,,,anything) anyway she found it in
                      >> my desk, it was beeping. so it was about 14.00 hres in the afternoon
                      >> and I left home at 07.30 hres. it was not scanning at all and no
                      >> lights. it was standby on my repeater.
                      >
                      > Perhaps you do have a battery that isn't up-to-specs. When I ran my test
                      > yesterday, the battery came out of the charger (fully charged) and was
                      > connected to a radio with the backlight turned on, and it scanned for 13
                      > hours and 13 minutes, with a total of 45+ minutes of QSOs on low power.
                      > I was probably responsible for half the transmit time, with sometimes a
                      > couple of seconds after the other station dropped the PTT before I hit
                      > mine, but I was really impressed that it lasted over 13 hours, let alone
                      > with 45 minutes of QSOs included in that 13 hours. Are you sure your
                      > battery was charged before you turned it on at 07:30?
                      >
                      >> ps tomorrow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))
                      >
                      > Good luck with the PX-777 and the OT+ on your skidoo! Of course,
                      > if the battery doesn't last...!
                      >
                      >> Scott how should I connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmitter" on
                      >> my OT+ so I could have the temperature from outside ?
                      >
                      > You could just remove the temperature sensor on the OT1+ and mount it
                      > externally. Message # 6671 on the Tracker 2 group describes adding a
                      > DS18S20. I have some on the way. it. According to the OT1+ manual,
                      > you can add a DS18S20 to the 1-wire bus. Perhaps the message on
                      > the Tracker 2 list will be enough to get you going.
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                    • joseph cooksley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                        Battery's .......... I have recently had my Icom handy and my b/d handdrill/screw driver repacked wow what a revelation in performance . Not only are they got the newest freshest replacements but now are almost double the capacity as the original manufactured units !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        I also had a friends battery drill done at the same time so he is also impressed with the increased performance of his power screw driver as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also a lot than replacement cost of the original units !

                        So search battery repackers for increased performance from your battery packs !

                        ciao

                        Joseph
                        ZL2SCI

                        Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> [...]
                        > assume this is a low voltage alarm. Yup, the battery gauge is now
                        > flashing, at least when it's not scanning, and I measured 6.41 V on the
                        > back of the battery. The radio will no longer transmit.
                        >
                        > 22:13... radio turned itself off and I measured. 0 V on the battery
                        > whether I use the charge connectors or the ones on the other side. I
                        > hope there's some protection circuitry in the battery rather than the
                        > battery actually being zero volts! Discharging much below 3V per cell
                        > can kill Li-ion batteries! Message to self... if I ever get a low
                        > battery warning again, turn it off!
                        >
                        > Gervais... I take it you are getting less time out of your battery? I
                        > got 13 hours and 13 minutes out of it, continuously on scan with the
                        > backlight on and about 45+ mins of QSO (low power) as well.
                        > If I'm still awake, I'll be able to see how long it took to charge.

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Email slow, clunky, unreliable? Switch to Yahoo!Xtra Mail, New Zealand's new email address.
                      • Dan Zubey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                          You guys are aware that a given battery will show different capacities
                          based on the load placed on them, right?

                          A 1 ah battery might last 10 hours at 125ma but then only last 5
                          minutes with a 1 amp load.

                          Usually the battery manufacturers rate them at a certain current rate,
                          and outside that range YMMV. You have to measure capacity at the same
                          current level to make comparisons.

                          We've had trouble here in events with hams showing up with radios that
                          preformed well for 10 hours scanning at home, but once they show up to
                          an event and have the radio recieving for a couple hours plus the
                          occational key up, the batteries die quick. Not only is the current
                          higher, but the battery performs differently with the higher load. Its
                          predictable...about an hour into an event some new hams disappear off
                          the net.

                          -Dan n7nmd
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                            Yep, higher internal resistance is a disadvantage over NiCd. Makes
                            Li-ion not as useful for power tools and such. Wonder what it'd take to
                            do timestamped data logging output from my HP 8920A - I'll bet it
                            wouldn't be that hard to set it up to spit the RF power level out over
                            the serial port, and then have the weather station key it up every x
                            seconds and send y seconds of human voice.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                              > ps tomorow it is the test for my OT+ on my skidoo, :-)))
                              > Scoot how should i connect the DS18S20 "thermo transmiter" on y OT+ so i
                              > could have the temperature from outside ?

                              On the OT1+ it only works with the 1-wire weather firmware. Not enough
                              code space in the tracker firmware. As for hookup, DQ goes to the
                              1-wire bus, GND to ground.