Re: Tracker 2 with Motorola stays on tx

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2009
      No. Just the HT jumper should not be set. The HI jumper has nothing to do with PTT.

      Larry
      K7YBZ

    • lists@ke4nyv.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2009
        You can leave the HI jumper, but remove the HT jumper. They are two different jumpers.

        Jason KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics, LLC
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2009
          On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:27 PM, donmor46 <donmor46@...> wrote:

          > Anyone had any experience with the tracker 2 and a Motorola M120.
          > My radio stays on transmit and goes off when turning a corner. Exact opposite of what it should do.
          > Hooked up on the bench, it is on tx and pulses to off as it samples.
          > Jumper is in HI position.  (All jumpers set as when purchased)
          > Tried two different radio's.
          > OT1 when hooked up appears to work ok with same radio, cable etc.
          >
          > Thanks for any help.

          Did you look at the Wiki? The cable I use is posted on there...
          nothing special, usual output configuration. Just be prepared for
          about 2.5 KHz deviation at full bore. The Motorolas need higher drive
          than you can get out of the OT2 stock.

        • donmor46
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
            The OT2m still stays locked on transmit.

            Hooked up my Icom HT and changed the jumper to HT from HI and it also remains keyed up. My OT1 works with the same setup.

            Is it time to send it back?

            Don

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
              I missed the start of this. Is it a handheld or a mobile? For a
              mobile, I'd start by disconnecting pin 3 (PTT) and testing that it works
              when you trigger it manually.

              Scott

              donmor46 wrote:

              > The OT2m still stays locked on transmit.
              >
              > Hooked up my Icom HT and changed the jumper to HT from HI and it also
              > remains keyed up. My OT1 works with the same setup.
              >
              > Is it time to send it back?
              >
              > Don
              >

              > > Did you look at the Wiki? The cable I use is posted on there...
              > > nothing special, usual output configuration. Just be prepared for
              > > about 2.5 KHz deviation at full bore. The Motorolas need higher drive
              > > than you can get out of the OT2 stock.
              > >
              > > James
              > > VE6SRV

            • donmor46
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009

                Hooked the tracker 2 up to a Motorola M120 and it transmits except when I turn a corner, then it quits transmitting just for a second.
                Also run an OT1 with an Icom HT and swapped out the OT1 for the tracker 2, changed the jumper from HI to HT and it does the same thing. Seems to transmit all the time except when it samples, then it seems to pulse off just for a second.
                Seems that no matter what radio etc, it just transmits whenever it's hooked up and powered up.

                Don
                VE7EDA

                > I missed the start of this. Is it a handheld or a mobile? For a
                > mobile, I'd start by disconnecting pin 3 (PTT) and testing that it works
                > when you trigger it manually.
                >
                > Scott

              • Ronny Julian
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Config error? Is it transmitting valid packets or just keying down?

                  donmor46 wrote:
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > Hooked the tracker 2 up to a Motorola M120 and it transmits except when I turn a corner, then it quits transmitting just for a second.
                  > Also run an OT1 with an Icom HT and swapped out the OT1 for the tracker 2, changed the jumper from HI to HT and it does the same thing. Seems to transmit all the time except when it samples, then it seems to pulse off just for a second.
                  > Seems that no matter what radio etc, it just transmits whenever it's hooked up and powered up.
                  >
                  > Don
                  > VE7EDA
                  >

                  > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> I missed the start of this. Is it a handheld or a mobile? For a
                  >> mobile, I'd start by disconnecting pin 3 (PTT) and testing that it works
                  >> when you trigger it manually.
                  >>
                  >> Scott

                • k7ybz
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Don,

                    If the OT2 is always keyed, you will see red TX led light on.

                    It really sounds like you have an intermittent short in the cable from the OT2 to the radio. If you have an ohmmeter, check for a short between pin 3 (PTT) of the OT2 connector and one of the other pins, especially GND on pin 6.

                    Also note that the HI jumper is for high level audio output that you will probably need with the Motorola radio. The HT jumper is for those radios that key through the audio line and don't have a seperate PTT, such as the ICOM HT.

                    Larry
                    K7YBZ

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "donmor46" <donmor46@...> wrote:

                    > Scott
                    >
                    > Hooked the tracker 2 up to a Motorola M120 and it transmits except when I turn a corner, then it quits transmitting just for a second.
                    > Also run an OT1 with an Icom HT and swapped out the OT1 for the tracker 2, changed the jumper from HI to HT and it does the same thing. Seems to transmit all the time except when it samples, then it seems to pulse off just for a second.
                    > Seems that no matter what radio etc, it just transmits whenever it's hooked up and powered up.
                    >
                    > Don
                    > VE7EDA

                    > > I missed the start of this. Is it a handheld or a mobile? For a
                    > > mobile, I'd start by disconnecting pin 3 (PTT) and testing that it works
                    > > when you trigger it manually.
                    > >
                    > > Scott

                  • donmor46
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Thanks Larry.

                      Can't find any shorts in the cable.
                      I just plugged in the T2 and the ACT light blinks, then the TX light blinks, then the RX light blinks. Repeats forever. Every time the ACT light blinks, the radio unkeys. It stays in this cycle until I remove the power.

                      Turn off the power and exchange an OT1 for the T2 and all works normal. Radio stays off and the green light on the OT1 samples.

                      Don
                      VE7EDA

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                      > Don,
                      >
                      > If the OT2 is always keyed, you will see red TX led light on.
                      >
                      > It really sounds like you have an intermittent short in the cable from the OT2 to the radio. If you have an ohmmeter, check for a short between pin 3 (PTT) of the OT2 connector and one of the other pins, especially GND on pin 6.
                      >
                      > Also note that the HI jumper is for high level audio output that you will probably need with the Motorola radio. The HT jumper is for those radios that key through the audio line and don't have a seperate PTT, such as the ICOM HT.
                      >
                      > Larry
                      > K7YBZ

                    • Randy Love
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                        Check the programming on the OT2 to make sure you don't have any profile switching going on. Sounds suspiciously like the infamous 'profile switching' endless loop problem where it is constantly flip-flopping between profiles and has 'Transmit when switching to this profile' is checked.

                        Randy
                        WF5X

                        On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, donmor46 <donmor46@...> wrote:

                        Thanks Larry.

                        Can't find any shorts in the cable.
                        I just plugged in the T2 and the ACT light blinks, then the TX light blinks, then the RX light blinks. Repeats forever. Every time the ACT light blinks, the radio unkeys. It stays in this cycle until I remove the power.

                        Turn off the power and exchange an OT1 for the T2 and all works normal. Radio stays off and the green light on the OT1 samples.

                        Don
                        VE7EDA

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                        > Don,
                        >
                        > If the OT2 is always keyed, you will see red TX led light on.
                        >
                        > It really sounds like you have an intermittent short in the cable from the OT2 to the radio. If you have an ohmmeter, check for a short between pin 3 (PTT) of the OT2 connector and one of the other pins, especially GND on pin 6.
                        >
                        > Also note that the HI jumper is for high level audio output that you will probably need with the Motorola radio. The HT jumper is for those radios that key through the audio line and don't have a seperate PTT, such as the ICOM HT.
                        >
                        > Larry
                        > K7YBZ

                      • donmor46
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                          Thanks Randy.

                          Reprogrammed the T2 and removed all profile switching and it is still the same.

                          Don
                          VE7EDA

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                          > Check the programming on the OT2 to make sure you don't have any profile
                          > switching going on. Sounds suspiciously like the infamous 'profile
                          > switching' endless loop problem where it is constantly flip-flopping between
                          > profiles and has 'Transmit when switching to this profile' is checked.
                          >
                          > Randy
                          > WF5X
                          >
                          > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, donmor46 <donmor46@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Thanks Larry.
                          > >
                          > > Can't find any shorts in the cable.
                          > > I just plugged in the T2 and the ACT light blinks, then the TX light
                          > > blinks, then the RX light blinks. Repeats forever. Every time the ACT light
                          > > blinks, the radio unkeys. It stays in this cycle until I remove the power.
                          > >
                          > > Turn off the power and exchange an OT1 for the T2 and all works normal.
                          > > Radio stays off and the green light on the OT1 samples.
                          > >
                          > > Don
                          > > VE7EDA
                          > >

                          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "k7ybz"
                          > > <k7ybz@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Don,
                          > > >
                          > > > If the OT2 is always keyed, you will see red TX led light on.
                          > > >
                          > > > It really sounds like you have an intermittent short in the cable from
                          > > the OT2 to the radio. If you have an ohmmeter, check for a short between pin
                          > > 3 (PTT) of the OT2 connector and one of the other pins, especially GND on
                          > > pin 6.
                          > > >
                          > > > Also note that the HI jumper is for high level audio output that you will
                          > > probably need with the Motorola radio. The HT jumper is for those radios
                          > > that key through the audio line and don't have a seperate PTT, such as the
                          > > ICOM HT.
                          > > >
                          > > > Larry
                          > > > K7YBZ

                        • Randy Love
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                            Hmmm..

                            Does it exhibit this behavior without the radio connected?  Try just powering it up without the radio cable attached and see if you get the same results.

                            Just trying to narrow it down.

                            Randy
                            WF5X

                            On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:31 PM, donmor46 <donmor46@...> wrote:

                            Thanks Randy.

                            Reprogrammed the T2 and removed all profile switching and it is still the same.

                            Don
                            VE7EDA

                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                            > Check the programming on the OT2 to make sure you don't have any profile
                            > switching going on. Sounds suspiciously like the infamous 'profile
                            > switching' endless loop problem where it is constantly flip-flopping between
                            > profiles and has 'Transmit when switching to this profile' is checked.
                            >
                            > Randy
                            > WF5X
                            >
                            > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, donmor46 <donmor46@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Thanks Larry.
                            > >
                            > > Can't find any shorts in the cable.
                            > > I just plugged in the T2 and the ACT light blinks, then the TX light
                            > > blinks, then the RX light blinks. Repeats forever. Every time the ACT light
                            > > blinks, the radio unkeys. It stays in this cycle until I remove the power.
                            > >
                            > > Turn off the power and exchange an OT1 for the T2 and all works normal.
                            > > Radio stays off and the green light on the OT1 samples.
                            > >
                            > > Don
                            > > VE7EDA
                            > >

                            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "k7ybz"

                            > > <k7ybz@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Don,
                            > > >
                            > > > If the OT2 is always keyed, you will see red TX led light on.
                            > > >
                            > > > It really sounds like you have an intermittent short in the cable from
                            > > the OT2 to the radio. If you have an ohmmeter, check for a short between pin
                            > > 3 (PTT) of the OT2 connector and one of the other pins, especially GND on
                            > > pin 6.
                            > > >
                            > > > Also note that the HI jumper is for high level audio output that you will
                            > > probably need with the Motorola radio. The HT jumper is for those radios
                            > > that key through the audio line and don't have a seperate PTT, such as the
                            > > ICOM HT.
                            > > >
                            > > > Larry
                            > > > K7YBZ

                          • donmor46
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                              Does the same with or without the radio connected.
                              I only have power hooked up, nothing else.
                              Lights blink as before. ACT then TX then RX. Continuous in a loop.

                            • Randy Love
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                                Well, the only suggestion I have left is to reload the firmware and let it load in the 'defaults' to overwrite the current programming, power it up and see what happens. If it still does that endless loop, then it's pretty much assured there is something wrong with the OT2 hardware itself. If not, then the hardware should be good.

                                Next, if the hardware checks good, I would reload your programming, power it up, and see what happens. If it cycles then, it's in the programming somewhere. If not, I'm at a loss. Hook the radio back to it and see if the cycling starts.

                                Give that a try. Anyone else have other ideas if it still does that cycling after these two test conditions?

                                Randy
                                WF5X

                              • donmor46
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                                  Here are the results from your suggestions Randy.

                                  New firmware downloaded and installed. (September 2 2009)

                                  With nothing hooked up but power, the three lights blink just once when the power is applied and then nothing. No lights remain on.

                                  Connect the radio cable then power up and the lights all blink once, as above, but the radio keys up and remains keyed. (Before, the lights would keep cycling and the radio would key on and off)

                                  Thanks Randy for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

                                  Don

                                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                                  > Well, the only suggestion I have left is to reload the firmware and let it
                                  > load in the 'defaults' to overwrite the current programming, power it up and
                                  > see what happens. If it still does that endless loop, then it's pretty much
                                  > assured there is something wrong with the OT2 hardware itself. If not, then
                                  > the hardware should be good.
                                  >
                                  > Next, if the hardware checks good, I would reload your programming, power it
                                  > up, and see what happens. If it cycles then, it's in the programming
                                  > somewhere. If not, I'm at a loss. Hook the radio back to it and see if the
                                  > cycling starts.
                                  >
                                  > Give that a try. Anyone else have other ideas if it still does that cycling
                                  > after these two test conditions?
                                  >
                                  > Randy
                                  > WF5X

                                • Randy Love
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                                    Definitely a head scratcher.   :)

                                    Alrighty. I'll mull it over some more and see what else I can come up with.

                                    Randy
                                    WF5X

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                                      Try starting otwincfg and using the diagnostic screen. Press the PTT
                                      button there and see what happens. If it's reversed (PTT is off when
                                      you press the button) then the MOSFET is blown.

                                      Scott

                                      donmor46 wrote:

                                      > Here are the results from your suggestions Randy.
                                      >
                                      > New firmware downloaded and installed. (September 2 2009)
                                      >
                                      > With nothing hooked up but power, the three lights blink just once when
                                      > the power is applied and then nothing. No lights remain on.
                                      >
                                      > Connect the radio cable then power up and the lights all blink once, as
                                      > above, but the radio keys up and remains keyed. (Before, the lights
                                      > would keep cycling and the radio would key on and off)
                                      >
                                      > Thanks Randy for all your help. It is very much appreciated.
                                      >
                                      > Don

                                      > Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Well, the only suggestion I have left is to reload the firmware and
                                      > let it
                                      > > load in the 'defaults' to overwrite the current programming, power it
                                      > up and
                                      > > see what happens. If it still does that endless loop, then it's
                                      > pretty much
                                      > > assured there is something wrong with the OT2 hardware itself. If
                                      > not, then
                                      > > the hardware should be good.
                                      > >
                                      > > Next, if the hardware checks good, I would reload your programming,
                                      > power it
                                      > > up, and see what happens. If it cycles then, it's in the programming
                                      > > somewhere. If not, I'm at a loss. Hook the radio back to it and see
                                      > if the
                                      > > cycling starts.
                                      > >
                                      > > Give that a try. Anyone else have other ideas if it still does that
                                      > cycling
                                      > > after these two test conditions?
                                      > >
                                      > > Randy
                                      > > WF5X

                                    • donmor46
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                                        Bingo.
                                        That is the problem.
                                        Unkeyed when the PTT is down and keyed when PTT is not.
                                        Where can I get the MOSFET?
                                        What will blow that MOSFET? Must be something I did.

                                        Thanks Scott

                                        Don

                                        > Try starting otwincfg and using the diagnostic screen. Press the PTT
                                        > button there and see what happens. If it's reversed (PTT is off when
                                        > you press the button) then the MOSFET is blown.
                                        >
                                        > Scott

                                      • Patrick
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                                          how do you have your cable wired to the accessory port on the m120?

                                        • lists@ke4nyv.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                                            Here is the M120 16 pin acc port pinout:

                                            http://www.batlabs.com/images/gmacc16.gif

                                            You should be using:

                                            3: PTT
                                            5: Flat TX Audio
                                            7: Ground
                                            11: Flat RX Audio (discriminator)

                                            You can also use pin 13 to power the Tracker2. Makes for a simple, seamless cable from radio to Tracker2.

                                            Jason KE4NYV
                                            RPC Electronics, LLC
                                            www.rpc-electronics.com

                                            donmor46 wrote:

                                            > Scott

                                            > Hooked the tracker 2 up to a Motorola M120 and it transmits except when I turn a corner, then it quits transmitting just for a second.

                                            > Also run an OT1 with an Icom HT and swapped out the OT1 for the tracker 2, changed the jumper from HI to HT and it does the same thing. Seems to transmit all the time except when it samples, then it seems to pulse off just for a second.

                                            > Seems that no matter what radio etc, it just transmits whenever it's hooked up and powered up.

                                            > Don

                                            > VE7EDA

                                            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                                            >> I missed the start of this. Is it a handheld or a mobile? For a

                                            >> mobile, I'd start by disconnecting pin 3 (PTT) and testing that it works

                                            >> when you trigger it manually.

                                            >> Scott

                                          • donmor46
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                                              I am using one of your cables Jason.
                                              The cable is OK. Works fine with the OT1 etc.
                                              Problem is the MOSFET is blown in the T2.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                                                They're ESD-sensitive, might have gotten zapped. I can send one if you
                                                don't mind SMD soldering, otherwise you can mail it back and I'll fix
                                                it. Send me your order number off-list if you have it.

                                                Scott