digipeat own packets when backpacking

  • kc2eus
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
      I did a quick search, but did not find a thread concerning the correct settings.
      I'm sure it's been discussed before.
      I have a VX8r that I'm going to carry while backpacking to activate a summit for the SOTA activity weekend on Nov 14th.

      My question is what settings do I put in the Tracker2 to get it to digipeat my beacon from the VX8. I set the digipeat on call, but on a quick test, and it did not seem to work. What am I missing .... is there anything different I need to add to the WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 on the VX8 ??

      TIA

      Andrew
      K1YMI -- GM1YMI
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
        Andrew KC2EUS wrote...

        > what settings do I put in the Tracker2 to get it to digipeat my beacon
        > from the VX8. I set the digipeat on call, but on a quick test, and it
        > did not seem to work. What am I missing... is there anything different
        > I need to add to the WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 on the VX8 ??

        With DIGI ON in the T2, it should digipeat via the call in the T2. To
        use it that way, you could use a path like GM1YMI,WIDE2-1 assuming that
        GM1YMI was the MYCALL in the T2. If the T2 could be heard by a WIDEn-N
        digi, it would act on the remaining WIDE2-1. However, if the T2 didn't
        hear the beacon from the VX-8, your beacon would end there. Digi paths
        are used in order... with the exception of the T2 which if it had
        PREEMPT <n> turned on could act on an alias with un-used aliases
        ahead of the "pre-empted" alias.

        To get it to respond to WIDEn-N you could...

        ALIAS 1 WIDE
        HOPLIMIT 2
        USEALIAS 1
        DIGIID 1 ON

        or if you wanted it to respond to WIDE1-1 only...

        ALIAS 1 WIDE1
        HOPLIMIT 1
        USEALIAS 1
        DIGIID 1 ON

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • kc2eus
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
          Would that not allow the T2 to digipeat everything ?

          Andrew

          > Andrew KC2EUS wrote...
          >
          > > what settings do I put in the Tracker2 to get it to digipeat my beacon
          > > from the VX8. I set the digipeat on call, but on a quick test, and it
          > > did not seem to work. What am I missing... is there anything different
          > > I need to add to the WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 on the VX8 ??
          >
          > With DIGI ON in the T2, it should digipeat via the call in the T2. To
          > use it that way, you could use a path like GM1YMI,WIDE2-1 assuming that
          > GM1YMI was the MYCALL in the T2. If the T2 could be heard by a WIDEn-N
          > digi, it would act on the remaining WIDE2-1. However, if the T2 didn't
          > hear the beacon from the VX-8, your beacon would end there. Digi paths
          > are used in order... with the exception of the T2 which if it had
          > PREEMPT <n> turned on could act on an alias with un-used aliases
          > ahead of the "pre-empted" alias.
          >
          > To get it to respond to WIDEn-N you could...
          >
          > ALIAS 1 WIDE
          > HOPLIMIT 2
          > USEALIAS 1
          > DIGIID 1 ON
          >
          > or if you wanted it to respond to WIDE1-1 only...
          >
          > ALIAS 1 WIDE1
          > HOPLIMIT 1
          > USEALIAS 1
          > DIGIID 1 ON
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        • kc2eus
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
            Thanks Keith for the reply ... This begs another question. If I enable as WIDE 2-1 or WIDE 1-1 then it'll digi everything it hears, as long as they fit the WIDE n-N criteria.
            Or is there a way to only digi my packets .. is this where the checkbox "digi on my call" comes into play ?

            Andrew
            K1YMI

            > Andrew KC2EUS wrote...
            >
            > > what settings do I put in the Tracker2 to get it to digipeat my beacon
            > > from the VX8. I set the digipeat on call, but on a quick test, and it
            > > did not seem to work. What am I missing... is there anything different
            > > I need to add to the WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 on the VX8 ??
            >
            > With DIGI ON in the T2, it should digipeat via the call in the T2. To
            > use it that way, you could use a path like GM1YMI,WIDE2-1 assuming that
            > GM1YMI was the MYCALL in the T2. If the T2 could be heard by a WIDEn-N
            > digi, it would act on the remaining WIDE2-1. However, if the T2 didn't
            > hear the beacon from the VX-8, your beacon would end there. Digi paths
            > are used in order... with the exception of the T2 which if it had
            > PREEMPT <n> turned on could act on an alias with un-used aliases
            > ahead of the "pre-empted" alias.
            >
            > To get it to respond to WIDEn-N you could...
            >
            > ALIAS 1 WIDE
            > HOPLIMIT 2
            > USEALIAS 1
            > DIGIID 1 ON
            >
            > or if you wanted it to respond to WIDE1-1 only...
            >
            > ALIAS 1 WIDE1
            > HOPLIMIT 1
            > USEALIAS 1
            > DIGIID 1 ON
            >
            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
              Andrew KC2EUS wrote...

              > Would that not allow the T2 to digipeat everything ?

              The two lots of settings I suggested would allow it to digipeat either
              WIDEn-N up to 2 hops or WIDE1-1 only, as well as digipeating on its own
              callsign. If you don't want anyone else to digi through it, set USEALIAS
              <n> OFF for all of them and leave DIGI ON and it will only digi on its
              own callsign. However, you said you tried that and it didn't work. What
              is the callsign in the T2, and what path did you have entered in the
              VX-8R?

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
                Andrew K1YMI / KC2EUS / GM1YMI wrote...

                > This begs another question. If I enable as WIDE 2-1 or WIDE 1-1
                > then it'll digi everything it hears, as long as they fit the WIDE n-N
                > criteria.

                If you enable it for WIDEn-N up to two hops, it would respond to anyone
                using a path of WIDE2-2 or WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1. If it was set up as a
                fill-in digi only, it would only respond to WIDE1-1.

                > Or is there a way to only digi my packets .. is this where the
                > checkbox "digi on my call" comes into play ?

                The "digi on my call" (the call in the T2) is one option. Another would
                be to pick a non-standard alias for ALIAS 1 <alias> like...

                ALIAS 1 MEONLY

                and set a path of MEONLY in the VX-8R, or MEONLY,WIDE2-1 if you
                hope another digi to pick you up after it goes through the T2. Of
                course, if someone sees you being digi'd by MEONLY, there would be
                nothing to stop them from using the path too.

                Yet another option... use a path of WIDE2-2,TEMP and enable TEMP as one
                of the aliases in the T2 and turn PREEMPT ON for that alias. You would
                get at least one hop from the T2 if it hears you. If it doesn't, there's
                a chance you will be digi'd by any WIDEn-N digi that hears you.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • kc2eus
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                  Sorry for the double post last time. I did not think the first had gone through.
                  Ok I've got it now. If I set it to a fill-in with WIDE 1-1 I think I should be good.
                  I was worried I was going to cause an issue with "spamming" the network. This was where the concern was coming from.
                  Also if I leave it at WIDE 1-1 I don't have to mess around changing the default settings in the VX8 everytime I use this setup.

                  Thanks for the info, i think I was trying to make it more complex than it was !

                  Andrew

                  > Andrew K1YMI / KC2EUS / GM1YMI wrote...
                  >
                  > > This begs another question. If I enable as WIDE 2-1 or WIDE 1-1
                  > > then it'll digi everything it hears, as long as they fit the WIDE n-N
                  > > criteria.
                  >
                  > If you enable it for WIDEn-N up to two hops, it would respond to anyone
                  > using a path of WIDE2-2 or WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1. If it was set up as a
                  > fill-in digi only, it would only respond to WIDE1-1.
                  >
                  > > Or is there a way to only digi my packets .. is this where the
                  > > checkbox "digi on my call" comes into play ?
                  >
                  > The "digi on my call" (the call in the T2) is one option. Another would
                  > be to pick a non-standard alias for ALIAS 1 <alias> like...
                  >
                  > ALIAS 1 MEONLY
                  >
                  > and set a path of MEONLY in the VX-8R, or MEONLY,WIDE2-1 if you
                  > hope another digi to pick you up after it goes through the T2. Of
                  > course, if someone sees you being digi'd by MEONLY, there would be
                  > nothing to stop them from using the path too.
                  >
                  > Yet another option... use a path of WIDE2-2,TEMP and enable TEMP as one
                  > of the aliases in the T2 and turn PREEMPT ON for that alias. You would
                  > get at least one hop from the T2 if it hears you. If it doesn't, there's
                  > a chance you will be digi'd by any WIDEn-N digi that hears you.
                  >
                  > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                    > Andrew KC2EUS wrote...
                    >

                    >> Would that not allow the T2 to digipeat everything ?
                    >>

                    > The two lots of settings I suggested would allow it to digipeat either
                    > WIDEn-N up to 2 hops or WIDE1-1 only, as well as digipeating on its own
                    > callsign. If you don't want anyone else to digi through it, set USEALIAS
                    > <n> OFF for all of them and leave DIGI ON and it will only digi on its
                    > own callsign. However, you said you tried that and it didn't work. What
                    > is the callsign in the T2, and what path did you have entered in the
                    > VX-8R?

                    And have you confirmed that the T2 can/is actually DECODING the VX-8R?
                    If it doesn't decode (verify by hooking up a PC and running TEXT mode),
                    then it won't digipeat anything.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                      kc2eus wrote:
                      > Sorry for the double post last time. I did not think the first had gone through.
                      > Ok I've got it now. If I set it to a fill-in with WIDE 1-1 I think I should be good.
                      > I was worried I was going to cause an issue with "spamming" the network. This was where the concern was coming from.
                      > Also if I leave it at WIDE 1-1 I don't have to mess around changing the default settings in the VX8 everytime I use this setup.

                      Buit if you leave the T2 set up as a WIDE1, you will definitely be
                      "spamming" the network as you drive it around town. It will be a WIDE1-1
                      digi full time repeating every WIDE1-1 packet that it hears. Not
                      recommended configuration.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Watching this closely as I'd like to use my T2-135
                      as a local digi for my MT-300 on a bicycle!

                      > Thanks for the info, i think I was trying to make it more complex than it was !
                      >
                      > Andrew
                      >
                      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Andrew K1YMI / KC2EUS / GM1YMI wrote...
                      >>

                      >>> This begs another question. If I enable as WIDE 2-1 or WIDE 1-1
                      >>> then it'll digi everything it hears, as long as they fit the WIDE n-N
                      >>> criteria.
                      >>>
                      >> If you enable it for WIDEn-N up to two hops, it would respond to anyone
                      >> using a path of WIDE2-2 or WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1. If it was set up as a
                      >> fill-in digi only, it would only respond to WIDE1-1.
                      >>

                      >>> Or is there a way to only digi my packets .. is this where the
                      >>> checkbox "digi on my call" comes into play ?
                      >>>
                      >> The "digi on my call" (the call in the T2) is one option. Another would
                      >> be to pick a non-standard alias for ALIAS 1 <alias> like...
                      >>
                      >> ALIAS 1 MEONLY
                      >>
                      >> and set a path of MEONLY in the VX-8R, or MEONLY,WIDE2-1 if you
                      >> hope another digi to pick you up after it goes through the T2. Of
                      >> course, if someone sees you being digi'd by MEONLY, there would be
                      >> nothing to stop them from using the path too.
                      >>
                      >> Yet another option... use a path of WIDE2-2,TEMP and enable TEMP as one
                      >> of the aliases in the T2 and turn PREEMPT ON for that alias. You would
                      >> get at least one hop from the T2 if it hears you. If it doesn't, there's
                      >> a chance you will be digi'd by any WIDEn-N digi that hears you.
                      >>
                      >> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      >> --
                      >> "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                    • Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                        Andrew KC2EUS wrote...

                        > Ok I've got it now. If I set it to a fill-in with WIDE 1-1 I think I
                        > should be good. I was worried I was going to cause an issue with
                        > "spamming" the network. This was where the concern was coming from.
                        > Also if I leave it at WIDE 1-1 I don't have to mess around changing
                        > the default settings in the VX8 every time I use this setup. Thanks
                        > for the info, I think I was trying to make it more complex than it
                        > was !

                        Note... there isn't a space between "WIDE" and "1-1".

                        It's definitely good to think it through. Yes, setting it up as a
                        fill-in digi would have the advantage of not having to keep changing
                        the path in the VX-8R. If you have ALIAS 1 WIDE1 just remember to
                        turn it off with USEALIAS 1 OFF when it isn't needed.

                        That could be done from a Nuvi if you have one, or from a terminal
                        program or with otwincfg.exe, or even by sending a message from the
                        VX-8R when you get back to your vehicle... message to KC2EUS-9 (if
                        that's the call in the T2) cmd USEALIAS 1 OFF as long as your callsign
                        is in the AUTHLIST. Does the VX-8R allow you to save canned messages
                        for re-use? If so, you could have one to turn it on and one to turn it
                        off. Hmmm I wonder if a script could toggle the digi function based
                        on a switch connected to the accessory connector? Scott?

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      • kc2eus
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                          Yeah, this is my quandary .. It's not a problem to turn the digi on and off. I can do that either via the Nuvi or canned messages in the VX8.
                          I just want to make sure my packets make it out of the area I'll be in.
                          I wonder for situations like this it's better to use TEMP or something like that in the PATH. I don't have an issue with others using it.. I just don't want to flood the network with extra traffic.
                          I guess I'm looking for the recommended configuration :)

                          Andrew

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"
                          > Buit if you leave the T2 set up as a WIDE1, you will definitely be
                          > "spamming" the network as you drive it around town. It will be a WIDE1-1
                          > digi full time repeating every WIDE1-1 packet that it hears. Not
                          > recommended configuration.

                        • k7rbw
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                            So, wouldn't the solution to avoid spamming the network be:

                            1) turn off the Digi feature while driving and then turn it on when parked.

                            2) use a low-gain or directional antenna so that that the range of signals your digi picks up is local. This will minimize what it hears to the area surrounding your car. Pick an antenna gain that matches your local transmitter and the surrounding area.

                            Another option would be to crank up the squelch so that only strong, local signals are recieved.

                            3) use a high-power transmitter to kick the digipeated packets out to another digipeater or iGate. Adjust the TX power so that the signal goes as far as it needs to, but no more than it has to.

                            4) monitor the packets received to see if yours is among those digipeted by the wide2 digi. If you use a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path in your beacon (VX-8R) and a WIDE1 digi in your car, your digi should still hear the packets that have been repeated by the WIDE2 digi, but it shouldn't repeat them. Or, you could have someone watching the APRS-IS to see if your packets are showing up in the net.

                            5) if you want to be extra conscientious, you could test the area where you park to see if there's already a WIDE1 digi that's covering where you are. e.g. see if the packets sent by the VX-8R are being digipeated by another digipeater. If so, leave your Digipeater off and use the existing one. If not, turn yours on and then it can be the one to fill in wherever you are.

                            --bob
                            K7RBW

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                              Lynn,

                              If you want to have your OT2 act as a personal digi, just set up an
                              alias that is unique, and turn on preemptive digipeating on that
                              alias.

                              In the HT, set your path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,LYNN,WIDE2-1.

                              In the regular network, you'll get picked up by regular and fill-in
                              digis on the first hop. On the next hop, you'll get handled only by
                              WIDE digis. The next hop is your unique alias, which will cause an end
                              to the packet being handled.

                              When you are in the neighborhood of your personal digi, the OT2 will
                              preempt up to the LYNN alias, and then the next hop will be the final
                              WIDE2-1 in the list.

                              If you are in range of both your personal digi, and any other digi,
                              there should be no issues, as the main digipeater network will
                              anti-dupe no matter where it is handling the packet in the outgoing
                              paths.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                                James,

                                Wonderfully concise and complete! Thank you so much for the
                                clarification. I would have messed up the path by not putting the
                                WIDE2-1 after the LYNN which is after the path that I'd really like
                                handled by the normal network.

                                It would seem that this solution would also work for KC2EUS and his
                                VX8R, right?

                                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Wanting to resurrect my MT-300 on a pocket J-Pole
                                for bicycling

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                                  It will work for anyone wanting to have a helper digi for themselves.
                                  Just choose an alias that is not normally used by the network.

                                • Bill V WA7NWP
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                                    > It will work for anyone wanting to have a helper digi for themselves.
                                    > Just choose an alias that is not normally used by the network.

                                    This might also be an opportunity to use the TEMP alias .. That's
                                    essentially what it's for.

                                    Bill - WA7NWP
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
                                      If everyone uses TEMP, then you no longer limit the digipeating to
                                      your own packets only. I was going to suggest TEMP first, but the
                                      request was to limit who would be digipeated.

                                      One needs to be prepared to explain the abnormal path to those who
                                      don't know about preemptive digipeating, and will try to tell you that
                                      you are using a goofy path.