Re: Position Packets

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
      The position reported is 36 degrees 22.65 minutes North and 80 degress 21.86 minutes West.

      Look at the reported position from this link.
      http://aprs.fi/?call=W4SNA-2

      Is that the correct location?

      BTW. At least for me, the screen shot is not available.

      Larry
      K7YBZ
    • w4sna
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
        The position is correct.

        What I want to do is eliminate the position packet to recover the wasted
        bandwidth. The station position is already being broadcast in the WX
        packet. Maybe it isn't possible. As I said before I am new to APRS and I
        haven't figured out what I can and can't do yet.

        I don't know why you can't see the screen shot. It looks fine on
        Firefox. Are you viewing via email?

        Tom - W4SNA

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
          On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM, w4sna <w4sna@...> wrote:

          > What I want to do is eliminate the position packet to recover the wasted
          > bandwidth.  The station position is already being broadcast in the WX
          > packet.

          What about the wasted bandwidth from the status packet?

          >!3622.65N/08021.86W_PHG5750/Wide1-1, WX Sauratown Mtn, NC

          That's an awful lot of wasted bandwidth, far more than what you're
          concerned with...

          !3622.65N/08021.86W_

          The status packet gives nothing new to the observer in the first 20
          characters. The PHG would be useful if it were on a position packet,
          not status. WIDE1-1 is new info, WX is known from your icon. Sauratown
          Mtn, NC can be deduced from your location.

          The site that you are at looks like a might fine spot for a full blown
          digipeater rather than a fill-in. You probably hear more than the
          other full digipeaters in the area. One issue with running a fill-in
          digipeater is that you end up acting only as an RF collector site.
          Anyone in your local area sending messages probably won't get a
          message back because there's no local digi to bounce through.

          You're also hammering the local RF network pretty hard. You're sending
          WX packets every 5 minutes over a 2 hop path. That's probably lighting
          up most of North Carolina, half of Virginia, and probably even hitting
          South Carolina too. If you really need to know the weather ever 5
          minutes on the mountaintop, and you don't have internet access up
          there, it might be a good idea to run on a separate frequency. Because
          your station is sitting on a mountaintop, a WIDE2-2 path is equivalent
          to a regular user using a path of WIDE3-3. Regular users have to use
          one hop to get to the mountaintop, but your station is already there.

          > I don't know why you can't see the screen shot. It looks fine on
          > Firefox. Are you viewing via email?

          Pretty hard to read your email as a movie... this reflector is not
          going to pass images. If you want to share an image, save it in the
          images section of the yahoogroup, or on another site of your choice.

          Unfortunately I don't have a weather station, so I haven't played with
          sending weather and packets...

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
            It's not possible at the moment, but I have it on my list. It also
            needs to be able to transmit with a different SSID for the position and
            weather station packets, to avoid confusing some clients.

            Scott

            w4sna wrote:

            > The position is correct.
            >
            > What I want to do is eliminate the position packet to recover the wasted
            > bandwidth. The station position is already being broadcast in the WX
            > packet. Maybe it isn't possible. As I said before I am new to APRS and I
            > haven't figured out what I can and can't do yet.
            >
            > I don't know why you can't see the screen shot. It looks fine on
            > Firefox. Are you viewing via email?
            >
            > Tom - W4SNA

            > "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > The position reported is 36 degrees 22.65 minutes North and 80 degress
            > 21.86 minutes West.
            > >
            > > Look at the reported position from this link.
            > > http://aprs.fi/?call=W4SNA-2 <http://aprs.fi/?call=W4SNA-2>
            > >
            > > Is that the correct location?
            > >
            > > BTW. At least for me, the screen shot is not available.
            > >
            > > Larry
            > > K7YBZ

          • w4sna
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
              If you really need to know the weather ever 5
              > minutes on the mountaintop, and you don't have internet access up
              > there, it might be a good idea to run on a separate frequency.

              You have some good points.

              Obtaining near real time wind speed reports from the repeater site is the primary reason this station was installed. APRS was chosen because there is no Internet access available at the site. The fill-in digi was set up because there are some RF shadows in the local area not covered well by the full digis.

              Since the WX data is of little interest to persons outside the local area your suggestion to change frequencies is probably the best solution to eliminate the impact of the station on the network. I can collect the data and publish it on the web for locals that don't have APRS capabilities.

              I have shut down the station until Neal gets back in town. We can decide what to do then.

              Tom - W4SNA
            • k7ybz
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                Thank you Scott,