Position Packets

  • w4sna
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
      WD4LSS and I installed a mountain top APRS WX station at my 6M repeater site. The Tracker2 is sending WX and status packets as expected. When the WX packet is sent the Tracker2 also sends a position packet.

      Since the station is fixed and the position info is in the WX packet is it necessary to send the additional position packet? If not, how is the position packet disabled so only the WX and status packets are sent?

      Tom - W4SNA
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
        Tom,

        In OTWINCONFIG select "Don't require GPS fix' in the 'Position' section.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w4sna" <w4sna@...> wrote:

        > WD4LSS and I installed a mountain top APRS WX station at my 6M repeater site. The Tracker2 is sending WX and status packets as expected. When the WX packet is sent the Tracker2 also sends a position packet.
        >
        > Since the station is fixed and the position info is in the WX packet is it necessary to send the additional position packet? If not, how is the position packet disabled so only the WX and status packets are sent?
        >
        > Tom - W4SNA

      • w4sna
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
          I modified the Tracker2 configuration but I'm still getting what appear to be position packets. I might be mistaken. My APRS Elmer is in Canada on business and I'm new to this APRS stuff.

           2009-11-02 21:39:27 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,KF4VTT:!3622.65N/08021.86W_

           2009-11-02 21:39:27 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,KF4VTT:!3622.65N/08021.86W_044/000g...t055p000h70b10181T2WX
           2009-11-02 21:44:30 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,W4DEX:>!3622.65N/08021.86W_PHG5750/Wide1-1, WX Sauratown Mtn, NC
           2009-11-02 21:44:30 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,W4DEX:!3622.65N/08021.86W_
           2009-11-02 21:44:31 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,KF4VTT:!3622.65N/08021.86W_044/000g...t055p000h70b10181T2WX
           2009-11-02 21:49:33 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,WW4FL-1:!3622.65N/08021.86W_
           2009-11-02 21:49:33 UTC: W4SNA-2>APOT21,WIDE2-2,qAR,W4DEX:!3622.65N/08021.86W_044/000g...t054p000h71b10181T2WX

          Here is the Tracker2 configuration screen.

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > In OTWINCONFIG select "Don't require GPS fix' in the 'Position' section.
          >
          > Larry
          > K7YBZ
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w4sna" w4sna@ wrote:
          > >
          > > WD4LSS and I installed a mountain top APRS WX station at my 6M repeater site. The Tracker2 is sending WX and status packets as expected. When the WX packet is sent the Tracker2 also sends a position packet.
          > >
          > > Since the station is fixed and the position info is in the WX packet is it necessary to send the additional position packet? If not, how is the position packet disabled so only the WX and status packets are sent?
          > >
          > > Tom - W4SNA

        • k7ybz
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
            The position reported is 36 degrees 22.65 minutes North and 80 degress 21.86 minutes West.

            Look at the reported position from this link.
            http://aprs.fi/?call=W4SNA-2

            Is that the correct location?

            BTW. At least for me, the screen shot is not available.

            Larry
            K7YBZ
          • w4sna
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
              The position is correct.

              What I want to do is eliminate the position packet to recover the wasted
              bandwidth. The station position is already being broadcast in the WX
              packet. Maybe it isn't possible. As I said before I am new to APRS and I
              haven't figured out what I can and can't do yet.

              I don't know why you can't see the screen shot. It looks fine on
              Firefox. Are you viewing via email?

              Tom - W4SNA

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM, w4sna <w4sna@...> wrote:

                > What I want to do is eliminate the position packet to recover the wasted
                > bandwidth.  The station position is already being broadcast in the WX
                > packet.

                What about the wasted bandwidth from the status packet?

                >!3622.65N/08021.86W_PHG5750/Wide1-1, WX Sauratown Mtn, NC

                That's an awful lot of wasted bandwidth, far more than what you're
                concerned with...

                !3622.65N/08021.86W_

                The status packet gives nothing new to the observer in the first 20
                characters. The PHG would be useful if it were on a position packet,
                not status. WIDE1-1 is new info, WX is known from your icon. Sauratown
                Mtn, NC can be deduced from your location.

                The site that you are at looks like a might fine spot for a full blown
                digipeater rather than a fill-in. You probably hear more than the
                other full digipeaters in the area. One issue with running a fill-in
                digipeater is that you end up acting only as an RF collector site.
                Anyone in your local area sending messages probably won't get a
                message back because there's no local digi to bounce through.

                You're also hammering the local RF network pretty hard. You're sending
                WX packets every 5 minutes over a 2 hop path. That's probably lighting
                up most of North Carolina, half of Virginia, and probably even hitting
                South Carolina too. If you really need to know the weather ever 5
                minutes on the mountaintop, and you don't have internet access up
                there, it might be a good idea to run on a separate frequency. Because
                your station is sitting on a mountaintop, a WIDE2-2 path is equivalent
                to a regular user using a path of WIDE3-3. Regular users have to use
                one hop to get to the mountaintop, but your station is already there.

                > I don't know why you can't see the screen shot. It looks fine on
                > Firefox. Are you viewing via email?

                Pretty hard to read your email as a movie... this reflector is not
                going to pass images. If you want to share an image, save it in the
                images section of the yahoogroup, or on another site of your choice.

                Unfortunately I don't have a weather station, so I haven't played with
                sending weather and packets...

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                  It's not possible at the moment, but I have it on my list. It also
                  needs to be able to transmit with a different SSID for the position and
                  weather station packets, to avoid confusing some clients.

                  Scott

                  w4sna wrote:

                  > The position is correct.
                  >
                  > What I want to do is eliminate the position packet to recover the wasted
                  > bandwidth. The station position is already being broadcast in the WX
                  > packet. Maybe it isn't possible. As I said before I am new to APRS and I
                  > haven't figured out what I can and can't do yet.
                  >
                  > I don't know why you can't see the screen shot. It looks fine on
                  > Firefox. Are you viewing via email?
                  >
                  > Tom - W4SNA

                  > "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > The position reported is 36 degrees 22.65 minutes North and 80 degress
                  > 21.86 minutes West.
                  > >
                  > > Look at the reported position from this link.
                  > > http://aprs.fi/?call=W4SNA-2 <http://aprs.fi/?call=W4SNA-2>
                  > >
                  > > Is that the correct location?
                  > >
                  > > BTW. At least for me, the screen shot is not available.
                  > >
                  > > Larry
                  > > K7YBZ

                • w4sna
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                    If you really need to know the weather ever 5
                    > minutes on the mountaintop, and you don't have internet access up
                    > there, it might be a good idea to run on a separate frequency.

                    You have some good points.

                    Obtaining near real time wind speed reports from the repeater site is the primary reason this station was installed. APRS was chosen because there is no Internet access available at the site. The fill-in digi was set up because there are some RF shadows in the local area not covered well by the full digis.

                    Since the WX data is of little interest to persons outside the local area your suggestion to change frequencies is probably the best solution to eliminate the impact of the station on the network. I can collect the data and publish it on the web for locals that don't have APRS capabilities.

                    I have shut down the station until Neal gets back in town. We can decide what to do then.

                    Tom - W4SNA
                  • k7ybz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Thank you Scott,