Re: [tracker2] Newbie help with APRS setup of Alinco DR-135 + Garmen Nuvi.....

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
      Matt - N0MSA wrote...

      > Okay, I have tried to read the messages to make sure that I wasn't
      > repeating an old post, but haven't found any clear answers. I have:
      >
      > Alinco DR-135
      > ADS T2-135 Board (on order)
      > Garmin Nuvi 350 (looking at buying)

      Don't forget to get the FMI cable as well...

      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90&osCsid=cf07ed9ab6e6c104b94f95d3c9949883

      unless you are going to get the mini B cable (with all 5 connections)
      and make your own level converter. The Nuvi only talks "Garmin". The FMI
      cable puts the Nuvi in FMI mode so you can use it with the T2-135 and
      send and receive messages from it, and allows you to connect it to a T2.

      > So, from what I understand, (Assumptions)
      >
      > 1. I can install the T2 board in the Alinco.
      > 2. Set it up for bidirectional data from the back serial port
      > 3. Connect it to the Garmin Nuvi 350, and it will display the symbols
      > 4. The connected Nuvi 350 will also, be able to send text messages.

      All correct, with the righ cable.

      > If the Garmin has a Garmin to USB cable, how do I connect it to the
      > Alinco? Are all of my assumptions correct?

      See above about the correct cable. You could get the GTrans cable
      instead, but you couldn't do messaging from the Nuvi then.

      > If I elect to add my Netbook running XP. Can I just use UI-View
      > software to do mapping and texting, instead of the Nuvi?

      If you were going to do that and use a Nuvi, you would have to get a
      GTRANS cable to work with the netbook. I would probably instead just use
      a non-display GPS receiver that plugged directly into the netbook and
      run the T2-135 in KISS mode. I would still get the Nuvi and the FMI
      cable for those times when you don't have the netbook along though.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
        MattA wrote:
        > I have:
        >
        > Alinco DR-135
        > ADS T2-135 Board (on order)
        > Garmin Nuvi 350 (looking at buying)

        Nice set. I have two matching setups, KJ4DXK-9 and KJ4OVQ-9.

        > So, from what I understand, (Assumptions)
        >
        > 1. I can install the T2 board in the Alinco.

        Yep
        > 2. Set it up for bidirectional data from the back serial port

        Actually, for the NUVI, you'll want the mode to be GARMIN if my memory
        serves.
        > 3. Connect it to the Garmin Nuvi 350, and it will display the symbols

        Yes, but you'll need a cable from ArgentData to do this connection.
        Make sure you ask for the right gender DB9 to connect to the back of the
        Alinco and he'll wire it up properly. The cable ends up being DB9 to
        mini-usb, but there's a magic resistor inside that sets the Nuvi into
        Fleet Management mode.
        > 4. The connected Nuvi 350 will also, be able to send text messages.

        Yep. As long as you're in simplex range of another text-capable APRS
        station or a bi-directional IGate/digi setup.
        > If the Garmin has a Garmin to USB cable, how do I connect it to the Alinco? Are all of my assumptions correct?

        See above on the needed cable. I'd also ask Scott to make sure the
        T2-135 is a V1.2 board. That board has extra filters on board that
        dramatically improve the decoding performance.
        > If I elect to add my Netbook running XP. Can I just use UI-View software to do mapping and texting, instead of the Nuvi?

        You'll need to change the mode of the serial port on the T2-135 to KISS
        for UI-View and supply a different cable, but yes, the station should be
        usable by either one. You can actually send configuration commands to
        the T2-135 from the Nuvi, but getting the port back to GARMIN when
        you're done with UI-View might be tricky. There was some recent traffic
        I read somewhere about wiring the second port as bi-directional out the
        rear connector that would allow you to run one in GARMIN mode and the
        other in KISS so you could do all of the above at once!

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
          What do you guys think about making a wiki page about this? We can
          make up some drawings showing the various components, etc. This gets
          hashed over again and again. A nice wiki page with pretty pictures and
          a full description that you can point people to would be good.

          I don't have an Alinco/T2-135/Nuvi combo, so I can't take pictures,
          and am not super up to date on things for this particular product. I
          can help with the wiki page though.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
            > See above on the needed cable. I'd also ask Scott to make sure the
            > T2-135 is a V1.2 board. That board has extra filters on board that
            > dramatically improve the decoding performance.

            All of the boards now shipping are v1.2. I have a small batch of 1.1
            boards - never opened or installed - that I might offer for a discount
            as-is.