Garmin "Database Error"

  • J. Rausch
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 6, 2006
      Has anyone noticed with the lastest OT2 firmware a "Database Error"
      comming up on Garmin units when in standard two-way NMEA mode? I
      have a 176c that up until now worked great in both NMEA and Garmin
      Binary mode. Now, when I try to use NMEA mode, I get a "Database
      Error" message everytime the OT2 tries to send a waypoint to the
      GPS. If I switch to binary, works like a charm. I checked all of my
      settings and everything appears the same.

      Just curious if anyone else saw this.

      Jason KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics
      www.rpc-electronics.com
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 20, 2006
        Maybe after the cleanup and refactoring is done it'll be more practical to migrate to Java.

        I do worry about cross-platform serial support though.  Many high-level packages just don't cut it.  At least I don't have to have it send a break signal like it used to, but there's still quite a bit of baud rate switching and flushing and such going on.  It has to send reset sequences at several different rates and get back to 19200 baud within a few hundred milliseconds to listen for an ACK.  Even adding a USB adapter into the mix complicates things because of the added latency and the variation in how they respond to baud rate changes.

        I'm working to simplify things, but some of it is still going to be a little funky.

        Scott