This accessory is not supported

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
      I am new to the Tracker2 Nuvi350 combination. The system seems to be working properly, I can send and receive messages via APRS, I see stations as waypoints on the map, etc. However I continue to get a message 'This accessory is not supported', and I have to cycle power to the Tracker2 to get the combination working again. Connectors all look good, rig is Yaesu FT-8800at low power (5W) and outside of the shack antenna, but still in the nearfield of the setup. Configuration or jumper setting? Any ideas?

      Dave, KI4PSR

      (I tried to search for this problem but found no match, I apologize if this subject has previously been beaten to death <g>.)
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
        More information:

        The intermittent communication problem exists even when no rig is
        attached. Can't reliably connect to send the message -Version and get a
        response. The USB connection on the side of the Nuvi works fine when
        connected to a computer for file exchange. Looks like there may be bad
        solder connections on the pin 1 - 8 side of the RS-232 interface chip in
        the Tracker2. I was using port B for the Nuvi and port A for the
        programming interface, I might swap them and see if anything changes.

        Dave, KI4PSR

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

        > I am new to the Tracker2 Nuvi350 combination. The system seems to be
        working properly, I can send and receive messages via APRS, I see
        stations as waypoints on the map, etc. However I continue to get a
        message 'This accessory is not supported', and I have to cycle power to
        the Tracker2 to get the combination working again. Connectors all look
        good, rig is Yaesu FT-8800at low power (5W) and outside of the shack
        antenna, but still in the nearfield of the setup. Configuration or
        jumper setting? Any ideas?

        > Dave, KI4PSR
        >
        > (I tried to search for this problem but found no match, I apologize if
        this subject has previously been beaten to death <g>.)

      • k7ybz
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
          Dave,

          Are you using the Garmin 010-10813-00 mini-b data cable or one that is home made? That message would indicate a bad cable or one that is not properly plugged into the side of the Nuvi. The Nuvi is either not recognizing the ID of the cable or the protocol it is receiving is wrong.

          First of all, make sure you have power connected to the Nuvi through the back connector. Then make sure in the configuration you do not have both ports set to the same protocol. For your setup, Port B should be GARMIN and Port A as AUTO or KISS.

          The console is only available on Port A. However, you can set Port A to GARMIN and Port B to AUTO and put the Nuvi on Port A, but you will not be able to connect a computer to Port B.

          With the latter configuration, you could remove the port splitter cable and plug the Nuvi directly into the OT2.

          Larry
          K7YBZ

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
            Thanks Larry!

            I am using the 'store-bought' 010-10813-00 cable, and it is into the
            side of the Nuvi. I discovered that when I moved the Nuvi around on my
            desk it would disconnect regularly. I cleaned the mini USB connector on
            the cable end with deoxit and a toothpick, it has worked fine ever
            since! And that is the new cable bought thru Argent.

            Before I cleaned the connectorI did swap port A and B just for kicks and
            saw no difference. At this point it has worked for about 1/2 hour with
            no disturbance so I suspect cleaning the connector fixed it?

            Dave KI4PSR

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
              The pins of a USB plug/socket are 'supposed' to be self cleaning when they mate. If you have a lighted magnifying lens, make sure there is no crud inside the plug or socket, i.e. excess piece of plastic moulding, and make sure the pins are aligned properly, especially pin 4. When looking at the mini-b plug with the pins down and the widest portion of the plug down, the pin order LEFT to RIGHT is 1-2-3-4-5.

              Larry
              K7YBZ

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
              > Thanks Larry!
              >
              > I am using the 'store-bought' 010-10813-00 cable, and it is into the
              > side of the Nuvi. I discovered that when I moved the Nuvi around on my
              > desk it would disconnect regularly. I cleaned the mini USB connector on
              > the cable end with deoxit and a toothpick, it has worked fine ever
              > since! And that is the new cable bought thru Argent.
              >
              > Before I cleaned the connectorI did swap port A and B just for kicks and
              > saw no difference. At this point it has worked for about 1/2 hour with
              > no disturbance so I suspect cleaning the connector fixed it?
              >
              > Dave KI4PSR
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                Thanks again for the reply and information Larry, much appreciated.
                Unfortunately the problem is back a day after I installed everything in
                the car. Same symptoms and message, same sensitivity to moving the
                connector around. When it works, it works great, when it doesn't work
                the message suggests that the Nuvi does not see the identifying
                resistance.

                I compared the mini-USB connector on the Garmin cable with other such
                connectors in my office. The Garmin connector conductors are less
                shiny, and they even seem to be shorter than the other examples I have
                looked at. (Shorter as not extending as far towards the connector
                opening.)

                So I am 99% certain that my difficulties are caused by a bad connector
                on the cable purchased thru Argent. I am debating whether to contact
                them for a warranty replacement if that is an option, or more simply to
                buy a new connector and go forward. Given that my diagnosis may be at
                fault and the connector is fine, I am reluctant to claim a foul when
                none exists!

                No big deal just a minor frustration, thanks for the tips and pin-out
                information, that is helpful.

                Dave KI4PSR

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                > The pins of a USB plug/socket are 'supposed' to be self cleaning when
                they mate. If you have a lighted magnifying lens, make sure there is no
                crud inside the plug or socket, i.e. excess piece of plastic moulding,
                and make sure the pins are aligned properly, especially pin 4. When
                looking at the mini-b plug with the pins down and the widest portion of
                the plug down, the pin order LEFT to RIGHT is 1-2-3-4-5.

                > Larry
                > K7YBZ
                >
                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" dave@ wrote:
                > > Thanks Larry!
                > >
                > > I am using the 'store-bought' 010-10813-00 cable, and it is into the
                > > side of the Nuvi. I discovered that when I moved the Nuvi around on
                my
                > > desk it would disconnect regularly. I cleaned the mini USB
                connector on
                > > the cable end with deoxit and a toothpick, it has worked fine ever
                > > since! And that is the new cable bought thru Argent.
                > >
                > > Before I cleaned the connectorI did swap port A and B just for kicks
                and
                > > saw no difference. At this point it has worked for about 1/2 hour
                with
                > > no disturbance so I suspect cleaning the connector fixed it?
                > >
                > > Dave KI4PSR

              • k7ybz
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                  Dave,

                  The FMI cable is resold through Argent. It is a Garmin manufactured cable. I bought a batch of the cables for a bicycle event and had one DOA. I would say Garmin's QA has a little to be desired. I did have a spare and used that. I didn't replace it, but took it apart to find out what the story was but didn't find anything definite.

                  Regardless, Scott may be able to do something for you.

                  Larry
                  K7YBZ

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2009
                    Good information again Larry!

                    I did open up the mini USB connector and verified that the 8.2K resistor
                    in the connector body itself was making intermittent connection to the
                    pin (x) or numerically pin 4. To my chagrin, the gold contacts when
                    exposed to full view did not appear to be anything but clean and proper!
                    However, the issue will be resolved, I have ordered some 5 conductor
                    mini USB to pigtail cables from Argent, and I will use one to set this
                    aright.

                    I have damaged the Garmin cable beyond the point of returning it, and
                    although I am disappointed that I had a faulty one, the excursion into
                    mini USB education was worth it. Great resources here with your help
                    and pictures and drawings in the Files section.

                    When the cables arrive, I will then see if all of my problems are thus
                    resolved <g>.

                    73,

                  • k7ybz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 28, 2009
                      Dave,

                      At least you did find the problem and the solution is not that difficult.

                      Although I have a pretty good idea why they didn't, its still too bad Garmin didn't put that resistor on the circuit board instead of in the plug.

                      Larry
                      K7YBZ

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

                      > Good information again Larry!
                      >
                      > I did open up the mini USB connector and verified that the 8.2K resistor
                      > in the connector body itself was making intermittent connection to the
                      > pin (x) or numerically pin 4. To my chagrin, the gold contacts when
                      > exposed to full view did not appear to be anything but clean and proper!
                      > However, the issue will be resolved, I have ordered some 5 conductor
                      > mini USB to pigtail cables from Argent, and I will use one to set this
                      > aright.
                      >
                      > I have damaged the Garmin cable beyond the point of returning it, and
                      > although I am disappointed that I had a faulty one, the excursion into
                      > mini USB education was worth it. Great resources here with your help
                      > and pictures and drawings in the Files section.
                      >
                      > When the cables arrive, I will then see if all of my problems are thus
                      > resolved <g>.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Dave KI4PSR
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 28, 2009
                        Yep!

                        I just completed a drive with a kludged-up replacement connector and
                        resistor and it worked flawlessly, not a single disconnect during the
                        drive. Life is good!

                        Dave,
                        KI4PSR

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > At least you did find the problem and the solution is not that
                        difficult.

                        > Although I have a pretty good idea why they didn't, its still too bad
                        Garmin didn't put that resistor on the circuit board instead of in the
                        plug.

                        > Larry
                        > K7YBZ
                        >
                        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" dave@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Good information again Larry!
                        > >
                        > > I did open up the mini USB connector and verified that the 8.2K
                        resistor
                        > > in the connector body itself was making intermittent connection to
                        the
                        > > pin (x) or numerically pin 4. To my chagrin, the gold contacts when
                        > > exposed to full view did not appear to be anything but clean and
                        proper!
                        > > However, the issue will be resolved, I have ordered some 5 conductor
                        > > mini USB to pigtail cables from Argent, and I will use one to set
                        this
                        > > aright.
                        > >
                        > > I have damaged the Garmin cable beyond the point of returning it,
                        and
                        > > although I am disappointed that I had a faulty one, the excursion
                        into
                        > > mini USB education was worth it. Great resources here with your
                        help
                        > > and pictures and drawings in the Files section.
                        > >
                        > > When the cables arrive, I will then see if all of my problems are
                        thus
                        > > resolved <g>.
                        > >
                        > > 73,
                        > > Dave KI4PSR

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
                          The final chapter:

                          I received mini USB cables that I ordered from Argent, and used one to
                          replace the defective mini USB connector on the GARMIN interface cable.
                          I added the appropriate 8.2K resistor from the brown wire to ground, as
                          shown in many documents in the files area. Works like a champ, no
                          issues.

                          The problem of the Nuvi 350 reporting "This accessory is not supported"
                          was a result of the ground side of the 8.2K resistor in the GARMIN
                          manufactured mini USB plug not being properly connected to the ground.
                          There was no solder on that connection in my cable, the resistor lead
                          was just lying adjacent to a bare ground wire in the potted area of the
                          connector itself. Other wires to the connector leads were soldered and
                          covered with heat shrink within the potted area. That intermittent
                          connection drove me nuts for a while!

                          Dave KI4PSR