Re: [tracker2] OT2 with Nuvi 350 how to get smartbeaconing working?

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2009
      On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM, n1kcg <ktjensen@...> wrote:

      > I sent the smartbcon command to the OT2, and it seems to have
      > been accepted.  I still do not get acknowledgement from various
      > systems that the beacon packets are coming throigh.

      Can you describe what these "various systems" would be? APRS is an
      unconnected protocol, and as such, there are no acknowledgements when
      you send position reports. The only ACK you'll see is if you send a
      message on APRS, and only if the receiving station is on the air, and
      within range. I'm unsure what "various systems" you would be thinking
      that you should be getting acknowledgements from.

      >  Any ideas on what to check?

      The first thing is to do is check to see if you are putting out a
      signal as Scott suggests. You should also ensure that the deviation is
      set properly. That is covered many times over already check the many
      messages on here, or the user manual.

      If you are putting out a good signal, with proper power and deviation,
      then the issue is outside of your control.

      > Some of my beacons get through.
      >
      > 1)  Should I increase the power?

      This is usual solution people come up with. If the issue is that you
      aren't putting enough signal into the network, that is a proper
      solution. If however the issue is that you are in contention with
      other stations, and simply not being heard due to collisions on the
      air, more power is not an acceptable solution. Your local network is
      overloaded, and a wholesale network rework is needed.

      > 2)  Is there another setting I need to tweek to get beacon packets to work better?

      The first order of business is to determine if there's a problem.

      > 3)  Is there a setting in the OT2 that might need adjustment?

      If after determining if a problem exists, and that it is a problem
      with the OT2, then there might be a setting to tweak.