Re: [tracker2] Nuvi News?

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2009
      The "Nuvi News?" post that I made yesterday somehow lost part of the
      first paragraph! See below for a more complete copy of Scott's message
      from over on the APRS SIG.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

      The rumour from Garmin is that by the end of the year there should be
      an update out for the Nuvi 1200, 1300, and 1400 series that'll support
      waypoint display. But NOT, presumably, using the same (legacy) protocol
      as the Nuvi 350.

      Beyond that, I know nothing of the new protocol and whether it'll really
      work for APRS, so I'm not making any promises.

      I do have a 1300 sitting here ready to go the moment Garmin posts the
      new firmware. Assuming they don't do anything stupid with it (like the
      FMI v2 protocol's use of undocumented file formats and inability to
      upload individual POIs), you can expect an update to the Tracker2 to
      support it within 48 hours. (Maybe less. Starbucks gift card
      contributions will tend to speed the process up.)

      I'm holding off on a revised GTRANS cable until I'm sure the protocol
      will be usable. The current boards should work with the newer units, but
      they need a resistor change and it could really use an extra ground
      connection for the power lead. I also have to source 5v switching power
      supplies still.

      Scott N1VG