New boards

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30 9:26 PM
      The Proto C and T2-135 boards came in today, a couple days earlier than I
      was expecting. I thought I had some ST202's on hand, but I can't find any,
      so I haven't been able to complete a 'C' board yet. Looks OK so far,
      though.

      The 135 boards look nice. Looks like I'm out of some of the 0603 size
      capacitors though, so I'll have to wait for those as well. I could
      cannibalize an older prototype, but it's not worth it at the moment. Got
      too much other stuff to do while I'm waiting for parts to come in. No
      obvious problems with the board, though. The 1.5mm headers fit perfectly -
      I was a little worried about that since I didn't have any engineering
      drawings to work from, just the samples Alinco sent. I still haven't found
      an exact match for the header that Alinco uses, but I've got Molex parts
      that mate properly. They're supposed to be vertical SMD connectors, but
      they can be mounted as through-hole right angle connectors. They have to be
      installed on the bottom side of the board for the pins to match up, though.
      If I stick with this part long term, I'll just swap the pins on the board.

      If everything checks out, I should have a few Proto C kits ready over the
      weekend. Maybe even a T2-135 or two.

      Scott
    • James Jefferson Jarvis
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31 8:29 AM
        I'd really like to get a tracker2 something board.

        Thanks,

        -Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
          The Proto C boards check out OK so far - the firmware's slightly different
          to accommodate the ST202 chip, but it should be transparent to the user.

          I've built three T2-135 boards (the Alinco DR-135T internal version) and so
          far they all work - no sign of the oscillator problem the last SMT board
          had. I've got a picture of one installed at
          http://n1vg.net/images/t2-135.jpg.

          So far, they're working pretty well. I've noticed a couple of problems that
          seem to be in the DR-135 and not my board. For one, when it's in packet
          mode the audio is muted, but the speaker still pops every time the squelch
          opens. Turning the volume down fixes it. And when a GPS receiver is
          plugged in to the front panel jack, it gets crosstalk into the speaker audio
          and you can hear digital noise that's independent of the volume setting. I
          have no fix for that so far, though in a car you might not notice. Both
          problems are still present even when the board's not installed, and I'm
          assuming it's the same for the EJ41U.

          For future revisions, I'll probably swap the pins on CN1 so the connector
          can be mounted on top. Unless I can get the proper connector from Alinco,
          anyway. The Molex connectors are backwards because they're not supposed to
          be through-hole connectors - they're supposed to be vertically-mounted and
          surface mount. The work well as right angle through-hole connectors, albeit
          with the wrong orientation. The JST connectors come in R/A THT, but they
          don't mate well.

          Lots more tuning to do still. The 135 board also has a pre-emphasis filter
          network, since the radio apparently doesn't provide any. I really need to
          get myself a service monitor...

          Scott
        • Ian
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006

            Will these work in the DR-235 also?

            73, Ian N8IK

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
              They *should* work in the DR-235 and I think the DR-435 as well - anything that takes the EJ41U board anyway.  I haven't tested it though, so I can't say for sure.  Don't know why it wouldn't.

              Scott