T2-301 non-op

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
      Scott,

      On Friday, for the first time, I tried to power up the T2-301 and configure it. The unit appears be non-operational. The configuration program would not connect through the null-modem cable and into the T2-301 serial + power cable. I checked the wiring up to the T2-301 DB-9 and all is good. I also used all the power-up sequences which would allow connection to an OT2.

      Later on tomight I was going to get back to troubleshooting and measure on board voltages.

      1) Do you have a schematic/parts layout diagram for the internal T2 board and how it interfaces with the FC-301D?

      2) Is there any difference between the schematics in the FC-301D manual and the xcvr as used in the T2-301?

      Thanks,

      Larry
      K7YBZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
        I can get you the T2-301 schematic. The FC-301/D part is the same as
        the service manual, more or less - they're still working on the VHF version.

        You've got 12 volt power supplied through the cable, right? Do the LEDs
        inside light up? Can you measure the current draw? Should be around 80 mA.

        Scott

        k7ybz wrote:

        > Scott,
        >
        > On Friday, for the first time, I tried to power up the T2-301 and
        > configure it. The unit appears be non-operational. The configuration
        > program would not connect through the null-modem cable and into the
        > T2-301 serial + power cable. I checked the wiring up to the T2-301 DB-9
        > and all is good. I also used all the power-up sequences which would
        > allow connection to an OT2.
        >
        > Later on tomight I was going to get back to troubleshooting and measure
        > on board voltages.
        >
        > 1) Do you have a schematic/parts layout diagram for the internal T2
        > board and how it interfaces with the FC-301D?
        >
        > 2) Is there any difference between the schematics in the FC-301D manual
        > and the xcvr as used in the T2-301?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Larry
        > K7YBZ

      • k7ybz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
          Yup it was powered with my 12V bench supply. That particular supply is fixed and does not have any metering. The LEDs did not light up which was the second indication I had a problem. I will measure the current after I get done playing accountant in about an hour.

          Yea I knew the VHF version was going to be different in some way, which is why I asked.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
            Check for any obvious loose connections, and it wouldn't hurt to ohm out
            the power leads on the cable. The T2-301 is tested before it's shipped,
            but the cable isn't since it should be tested at the factory. Could be
            you got a bad one.

            Scott

            k7ybz wrote:

            > Yup it was powered with my 12V bench supply. That particular supply is
            > fixed and does not have any metering. The LEDs did not light up which
            > was the second indication I had a problem. I will measure the current
            > after I get done playing accountant in about an hour.
            >
            > Yea I knew the VHF version was going to be different in some way, which
            > is why I asked.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Larry
            > K7YBZ

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I can get you the T2-301 schematic. The FC-301/D part is the same as
            > > the service manual, more or less - they're still working on the VHF
            > version.
            > >
            > > You've got 12 volt power supplied through the cable, right? Do the LEDs
            > > inside light up? Can you measure the current draw? Should be around
            > 80 mA.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > k7ybz wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Scott,
            > > >
            > > > On Friday, for the first time, I tried to power up the T2-301 and
            > > > configure it. The unit appears be non-operational. The configuration
            > > > program would not connect through the null-modem cable and into the
            > > > T2-301 serial + power cable. I checked the wiring up to the T2-301
            > DB-9
            > > > and all is good. I also used all the power-up sequences which would
            > > > allow connection to an OT2.
            > > >
            > > > Later on tomight I was going to get back to troubleshooting and
            > measure
            > > > on board voltages.
            > > >
            > > > 1) Do you have a schematic/parts layout diagram for the internal T2
            > > > board and how it interfaces with the FC-301D?
            > > >
            > > > 2) Is there any difference between the schematics in the FC-301D
            > manual
            > > > and the xcvr as used in the T2-301?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > >
            > > > Larry
            > > > K7YBZ

          • Rudy
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
              I have had mine go 'dead', turned out to be the yellow D shell was not fully seated on the socket.

              > Check for any obvious loose connections, and it wouldn't hurt to ohm out
              > the power leads on the cable. The T2-301 is tested before it's shipped,
              > but the cable isn't since it should be tested at the factory. Could be
              > you got a bad one.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > k7ybz wrote:
              > >

              > > Yup it was powered with my 12V bench supply. That particular supply is
              > > fixed and does not have any metering. The LEDs did not light up which
              > > was the second indication I had a problem. I will measure the current
              > > after I get done playing accountant in about an hour.
              > >
              > > Yea I knew the VHF version was going to be different in some way, which
              > > is why I asked.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Larry
              > > K7YBZ

              > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I can get you the T2-301 schematic. The FC-301/D part is the same as
              > > > the service manual, more or less - they're still working on the VHF
              > > version.
              > > >
              > > > You've got 12 volt power supplied through the cable, right? Do the LEDs
              > > > inside light up? Can you measure the current draw? Should be around
              > > 80 mA.
              > > >
              > > > Scott

              > > DB-9

              > > measure

              > > manual

            • k7ybz
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
                I already tested the serial/power cable on Friday and it was good.
                I thought I would check onboard voltages before dismanteling again. When I fixed the coax connector lead, I had removed the RF board from the case and I looked over the whole thing under my 15x magnifying lighted lens. I didn't see anything obvious except for what I sent photos of to you.

                I did not get around to finishing off the A-I-O due to other commitments so I also have not had a chance to power it up before this. I cannot say it was DOA from when it was first shipped.

                Larry

                > Check for any obvious loose connections, and it wouldn't hurt to ohm out
                > the power leads on the cable. The T2-301 is tested before it's shipped,
                > but the cable isn't since it should be tested at the factory. Could be
                > you got a bad one.
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > k7ybz wrote:
                > >

                > > Yup it was powered with my 12V bench supply. That particular supply is
                > > fixed and does not have any metering. The LEDs did not light up which
                > > was the second indication I had a problem. I will measure the current
                > > after I get done playing accountant in about an hour.
                > >
                > > Yea I knew the VHF version was going to be different in some way, which
                > > is why I asked.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Larry
                > > K7YBZ

                > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I can get you the T2-301 schematic. The FC-301/D part is the same as
                > > > the service manual, more or less - they're still working on the VHF
                > > version.
                > > >
                > > > You've got 12 volt power supplied through the cable, right? Do the LEDs
                > > > inside light up? Can you measure the current draw? Should be around
                > > 80 mA.
                > > >
                > > > Scott

                > > DB-9

                > > measure

                > > manual

              • k7ybz
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
                  Even though the serial/power cable tested fine, when it was connected to the power supply, no voltage was present at the T2-301. I tried to measure the voltage on the power supply side of the inline fuse I installed and no voltage was there. However, the voltage at the power supply Anderson terminals had 12.8V. Replacing the Anderson contacts on the serial/power cable solved the problem.

                  Back in August when I made up this cable along with others, I was having a problem with the Anderson contacts binding in the crimper even after replacing the crimp die. The contacts I replaced looked like they may have been some of those that got bound up.

                  Anyway, I programmed the on board T2 and tested the unit and it works just fine. Now to go and finish the A-I-O setup...maybe next weekend.

                  Larry
                  K7YBZ