RE: [tracker2] Re: Aging of Waypoints (Fred)

  • Al Waschka
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      Thanks Fred,

      I just meant, by the nerves comment, that it seems I'm not the only one inerested in a way to age waypoints.

      Well, I probably won't have that many other waypoints in there, so it will be less trouble, I think, to just delete them all periodically and reset "home" and one or two others than to carry it in, hook it up, and reload from the PC.  Lynn D. posted about a method of transferring from an SD card to memory, so I may look into that.

      I have snooped around in the Nuvi and discovered that all waypoints are in a single XML file in the .gpx format.  So either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.  I have reviewed the Interface for the fleet management interface and, as you said, there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a waypoint, nor does it appear there is a way to deliver waypoints except in a GPIfile.  So if we believe that the OT2 does not have enough memory to hold and re-send the complete GPI file then the Nuvi must be capable of accepting a file with a single waypoin in it and concatenating it to the existing file.

      I have a few ideas, and I'll be doing a little testing when I get a chance.

      Al

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        Al (callsign?) wrote...

        > either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint
        > comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.

        The OT2m only sends waypoints one at a time to the Nuvi as position
        reports are received. Storing an entire list of them would take up too
        much space in the OT2m, and would mean a lot of extra work for the OT2m
        and for the Nuvi.

        It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
        at once. If anyone wants to protect waypoints, someone already offered a
        suggestion some months ago. Store them on an SD card in the Nuvi and
        write-protect it. I don't recall hearing anyone saying that it didn't
        work, so I assume that it's a viable solution.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Tray Murphy
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
          I'm sorry, my bad...it was easygps.net that was parked...I was trying to do too many things at once. Thanks for setting me straight!
          Tray
          N4PAT
        • Dale Seaburg
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

            On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

            >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
            >at once.

            OK, I'll bite.  How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time?  I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

            BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern Oregon and then back home.  I can say that digi coverage was good in places and nonexistent in others.  And, other places where several digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1).  Overall, the Nuvi 350, OT2m and the FT1500 did well.

            73 - Dale.  KG5LT

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
              Dale KG5LT wrote...

              > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
              > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

              This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
              select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Dale Seaburg
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                Super, Keith!  Thanks for the heads-up.

                Dale.  KG5LT

                On Oct 2, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                Dale KG5LT wrote...

                > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Dale,

                  If you'd like to see what your APRS coverage looked like on your trip from 9/29 through yesterday, check out:

                  http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KG5LT* (Trailing * required)

                  The higher the final dash number, the higher the resolution.  You'll need to zoom in on some to see the details.

                  The -D-nn.PNG files ignore the digis/IGates and focus on just showing your beaconed positions.

                  Red lines are direct communications.  Green lines are digi->Igate.  Small red circles are Digis.  Large red circles are IGates.

                  Of course, all of this is generated from APRS-IS so it represents only the first packet to be gated.  Without local receivers, it's impossible to guess what the actual RF landscape looked like!

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                    Dale Seaburg wrote:

                    > On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                    >

                    > >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                    > >at once.
                    >
                    > OK, I'll bite. How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a
                    > time? I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so
                    > individually.
                    >
                    > BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern
                    > Oregon and then back home. I can say that digi coverage was good in
                    > places and nonexistent in others. And, other places where several
                    > digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1). Overall, the Nuvi 350,
                    > OT2m and the FT1500 did well.
                    >
                    > 73 - Dale. KG5LT

                  • Dale Seaburg
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Thanks, Lynn.  Very informative.  I've d/l'd them for further review.

                      73 - Dale.  KG5LT