RE: [tracker2] Re: Aging of Waypoints

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi Al,

      No nerves here. ;)

      One of the issues with TNCs is lack of memory. When future generations are released, new features are always added. More memory will be on the list I am sure. Hopefully, future GPS software will be enhanced to serve the much smaller niches, like APRS. One can only hope!

      I don't have the Nuvi but I will share one method that has worked for me in the past on my Garmin GPS V.

      For the waypoints I like to keep in my GPS, I make sure the waypoint symbol is something other than what is used by the OT2. When I used the NMEA protocol, that was simple. The OT2 sent a GPWPL sentence which made all the waypoints a dot. I made everything else not a dot. That way I could delete all waypoints with the dot symbol. This does not fix delete an "aged" waypoint. That would be nice.

      I have tried a similar method using the Garmin protocol yet. I get 'car' and 'truck' symbols which I can readily delete. Again, there is not a way to delete 'aged' waypoints. For the fixed stations, I see an antenna symbol. That is the same symbol I use for the WX transmitters.

      I used EasyGPS to manage the list of waypoints. Now I use ExpertGPS for managing waypoints. I manage more (>500) than my GPS can hold. So I have to select what I want for the moment anyway.

      By the way, if you are into Geocaching, try GeoBuddy, also by Topografix. It plays very much like ExpertGPS. I have had excellent service from Topografix, so I may sound like an advertisement. Service is paramount to me.

      There is no way to delete waypoints in a Garmin GPS from software. Garmin left out that command. I believe Magellan does have that feature in a GPS. I don't know the model. Regardless, no TNC currently keeps that much record of waypoints.

      I know your question did not involve PCs, but if interested read further.

      There may be a PC software solution with waypoint aging. I know of none at the moment, but I do not use a PC mobile yet. With the laptops in the 7", 9", etc. range, using one mobile is easier then ever. That will be one of my near future additions. Personally, I believe a mobile PC makes for the best window into APRS. The screen is bigger and there is little limit to how much memory and speed that is available.

      A free application for Windows is USAPhotomaps and for Linux, try Xastir. Everything I see and hear about Xastir is that it kicks donkey! I currently don't understand or have time to explore Linux to get Xastir running on it. USAPM does not do waypoint aging last I checked: Xastir may There is a Xastir user group to ask questions. Source code is available for each.

      I hope this provides some insight, knowledge, etc.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      From: Pete Lilja <plilja@...>
      To: tracker2@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 12:43 PM

      It's TopoGraphix' s Easy GPS

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        Thanks Fred,

        I just meant, by the nerves comment, that it seems I'm not the only one inerested in a way to age waypoints.

        Well, I probably won't have that many other waypoints in there, so it will be less trouble, I think, to just delete them all periodically and reset "home" and one or two others than to carry it in, hook it up, and reload from the PC.  Lynn D. posted about a method of transferring from an SD card to memory, so I may look into that.

        I have snooped around in the Nuvi and discovered that all waypoints are in a single XML file in the .gpx format.  So either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.  I have reviewed the Interface for the fleet management interface and, as you said, there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a waypoint, nor does it appear there is a way to deliver waypoints except in a GPIfile.  So if we believe that the OT2 does not have enough memory to hold and re-send the complete GPI file then the Nuvi must be capable of accepting a file with a single waypoin in it and concatenating it to the existing file.

        I have a few ideas, and I'll be doing a little testing when I get a chance.

        Al

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          Al (callsign?) wrote...

          > either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint
          > comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.

          The OT2m only sends waypoints one at a time to the Nuvi as position
          reports are received. Storing an entire list of them would take up too
          much space in the OT2m, and would mean a lot of extra work for the OT2m
          and for the Nuvi.

          It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
          at once. If anyone wants to protect waypoints, someone already offered a
          suggestion some months ago. Store them on an SD card in the Nuvi and
          write-protect it. I don't recall hearing anyone saying that it didn't
          work, so I assume that it's a viable solution.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • Tray Murphy
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
            I'm sorry, my bad...it was easygps.net that was parked...I was trying to do too many things at once. Thanks for setting me straight!
            Tray
            N4PAT
          • Dale Seaburg
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

              On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

              >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
              >at once.

              OK, I'll bite.  How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time?  I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

              BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern Oregon and then back home.  I can say that digi coverage was good in places and nonexistent in others.  And, other places where several digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1).  Overall, the Nuvi 350, OT2m and the FT1500 did well.

              73 - Dale.  KG5LT

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                Dale KG5LT wrote...

                > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • Dale Seaburg
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Super, Keith!  Thanks for the heads-up.

                  Dale.  KG5LT

                  On Oct 2, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                  Dale KG5LT wrote...

                  > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                  > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                  This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                  select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Dale,

                    If you'd like to see what your APRS coverage looked like on your trip from 9/29 through yesterday, check out:

                    http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KG5LT* (Trailing * required)

                    The higher the final dash number, the higher the resolution.  You'll need to zoom in on some to see the details.

                    The -D-nn.PNG files ignore the digis/IGates and focus on just showing your beaconed positions.

                    Red lines are direct communications.  Green lines are digi->Igate.  Small red circles are Digis.  Large red circles are IGates.

                    Of course, all of this is generated from APRS-IS so it represents only the first packet to be gated.  Without local receivers, it's impossible to guess what the actual RF landscape looked like!

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                      Dale Seaburg wrote:

                      > On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                      >

                      > >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                      > >at once.
                      >
                      > OK, I'll bite. How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a
                      > time? I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so
                      > individually.
                      >
                      > BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern
                      > Oregon and then back home. I can say that digi coverage was good in
                      > places and nonexistent in others. And, other places where several
                      > digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1). Overall, the Nuvi 350,
                      > OT2m and the FT1500 did well.
                      >
                      > 73 - Dale. KG5LT

                    • Dale Seaburg
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                        Thanks, Lynn.  Very informative.  I've d/l'd them for further review.

                        73 - Dale.  KG5LT