Re: [tracker2] Re: Aging of Waypoints

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      Tray Murphy wrote:

      > This (easygps.com <http://easygps.com>) is a parked domain. Can you
      > please tell us the actual program, or give a link to a download page?
      > I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by
      > who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
      > Thanks,
      > Tray Murphy
      > N4PAT

      I beg to differ. EasyGPS.NET (as in the original post) was a parked
      domain and I also avoided going any deeper. Then I searched for EasyGPS
      in Google and got the link to EasyGPS.COM which doesn't look like a
      parked domain to me. I downloaded the software to check out the next
      time I have one of my Nuvi 350s in from the car. I also like to clear
      out the accumulated APRS waypoints but still preserve my normal
      navigation waypoints, especially after a long trip through other
      APRS-active areas!

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
    • Pete Lilja
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        It's TopoGraphix's Easy GPS

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          It would appear I struck a nerve.  I'm looking into other solutions.  I'll post if I get any results.

          Al

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            Hi Al,

            No nerves here. ;)

            One of the issues with TNCs is lack of memory. When future generations are released, new features are always added. More memory will be on the list I am sure. Hopefully, future GPS software will be enhanced to serve the much smaller niches, like APRS. One can only hope!

            I don't have the Nuvi but I will share one method that has worked for me in the past on my Garmin GPS V.

            For the waypoints I like to keep in my GPS, I make sure the waypoint symbol is something other than what is used by the OT2. When I used the NMEA protocol, that was simple. The OT2 sent a GPWPL sentence which made all the waypoints a dot. I made everything else not a dot. That way I could delete all waypoints with the dot symbol. This does not fix delete an "aged" waypoint. That would be nice.

            I have tried a similar method using the Garmin protocol yet. I get 'car' and 'truck' symbols which I can readily delete. Again, there is not a way to delete 'aged' waypoints. For the fixed stations, I see an antenna symbol. That is the same symbol I use for the WX transmitters.

            I used EasyGPS to manage the list of waypoints. Now I use ExpertGPS for managing waypoints. I manage more (>500) than my GPS can hold. So I have to select what I want for the moment anyway.

            By the way, if you are into Geocaching, try GeoBuddy, also by Topografix. It plays very much like ExpertGPS. I have had excellent service from Topografix, so I may sound like an advertisement. Service is paramount to me.

            There is no way to delete waypoints in a Garmin GPS from software. Garmin left out that command. I believe Magellan does have that feature in a GPS. I don't know the model. Regardless, no TNC currently keeps that much record of waypoints.

            I know your question did not involve PCs, but if interested read further.

            There may be a PC software solution with waypoint aging. I know of none at the moment, but I do not use a PC mobile yet. With the laptops in the 7", 9", etc. range, using one mobile is easier then ever. That will be one of my near future additions. Personally, I believe a mobile PC makes for the best window into APRS. The screen is bigger and there is little limit to how much memory and speed that is available.

            A free application for Windows is USAPhotomaps and for Linux, try Xastir. Everything I see and hear about Xastir is that it kicks donkey! I currently don't understand or have time to explore Linux to get Xastir running on it. USAPM does not do waypoint aging last I checked: Xastir may There is a Xastir user group to ask questions. Source code is available for each.

            I hope this provides some insight, knowledge, etc.

            Best regards,
            Fred

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              Thanks Fred,

              I just meant, by the nerves comment, that it seems I'm not the only one inerested in a way to age waypoints.

              Well, I probably won't have that many other waypoints in there, so it will be less trouble, I think, to just delete them all periodically and reset "home" and one or two others than to carry it in, hook it up, and reload from the PC.  Lynn D. posted about a method of transferring from an SD card to memory, so I may look into that.

              I have snooped around in the Nuvi and discovered that all waypoints are in a single XML file in the .gpx format.  So either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.  I have reviewed the Interface for the fleet management interface and, as you said, there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a waypoint, nor does it appear there is a way to deliver waypoints except in a GPIfile.  So if we believe that the OT2 does not have enough memory to hold and re-send the complete GPI file then the Nuvi must be capable of accepting a file with a single waypoin in it and concatenating it to the existing file.

              I have a few ideas, and I'll be doing a little testing when I get a chance.

              Al

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                Al (callsign?) wrote...

                > either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint
                > comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.

                The OT2m only sends waypoints one at a time to the Nuvi as position
                reports are received. Storing an entire list of them would take up too
                much space in the OT2m, and would mean a lot of extra work for the OT2m
                and for the Nuvi.

                It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                at once. If anyone wants to protect waypoints, someone already offered a
                suggestion some months ago. Store them on an SD card in the Nuvi and
                write-protect it. I don't recall hearing anyone saying that it didn't
                work, so I assume that it's a viable solution.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • Tray Murphy
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                  I'm sorry, my bad...it was easygps.net that was parked...I was trying to do too many things at once. Thanks for setting me straight!
                  Tray
                  N4PAT
                • Dale Seaburg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                    On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                    >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                    >at once.

                    OK, I'll bite.  How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time?  I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                    BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern Oregon and then back home.  I can say that digi coverage was good in places and nonexistent in others.  And, other places where several digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1).  Overall, the Nuvi 350, OT2m and the FT1500 did well.

                    73 - Dale.  KG5LT

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Dale KG5LT wrote...

                      > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                      > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                      This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                      select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    • Dale Seaburg
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                        Super, Keith!  Thanks for the heads-up.

                        Dale.  KG5LT

                        Dale KG5LT wrote...

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                          Dale,

                          If you'd like to see what your APRS coverage looked like on your trip from 9/29 through yesterday, check out:

                          http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KG5LT* (Trailing * required)

                          The higher the final dash number, the higher the resolution.  You'll need to zoom in on some to see the details.

                          The -D-nn.PNG files ignore the digis/IGates and focus on just showing your beaconed positions.

                          Red lines are direct communications.  Green lines are digi->Igate.  Small red circles are Digis.  Large red circles are IGates.

                          Of course, all of this is generated from APRS-IS so it represents only the first packet to be gated.  Without local receivers, it's impossible to guess what the actual RF landscape looked like!

                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                            Dale Seaburg wrote:

                            > On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                            >

                            > >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                            > >at once.
                            >
                            > OK, I'll bite. How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a
                            > time? I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so
                            > individually.
                            >
                            > BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern
                            > Oregon and then back home. I can say that digi coverage was good in
                            > places and nonexistent in others. And, other places where several
                            > digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1). Overall, the Nuvi 350,
                            > OT2m and the FT1500 did well.
                            >
                            > 73 - Dale. KG5LT

                          • Dale Seaburg
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                              Thanks, Lynn.  Very informative.  I've d/l'd them for further review.

                              73 - Dale.  KG5LT