Re: Aging of Waypoints

  • Tray Murphy
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      This (easygps.com) is a parked domain. Can you please tell us the  actual program, or give a link to a download page? I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
      Thanks,
      Tray Murphy
      N4PAT
    • Pete Lilja
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        Try http://www.easygps.com/ rather than .net.  It is handy and easy to use software.  Thanks for the reminder - I have had but haven't used it in years. I just used it to transfer My Favorites from my old Nuvi to my new 350.

        Pete

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          Open this web site: http://easygps.com/
          In the (sort of upper) right corner, there is a link. It is a BIG blue button that says "Download EasyGPS". But in case it isn't working for you, try:

          BTW, I used EasyGPS prior to purchasing ExpertGPS. The packages are from the same author. I have used ExpertGPS for about 7 years. In fact, I just upgrade to the GIS version in September.
          The corresponding forums are here:

          I guess microsoft.com must be parked too and now I understand the lack of trust. ;)

          This (easygps.com) is a parked domain. Can you please tell us the  actual program, or give a link to a download page? I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
          Thanks,
          Tray Murphy
          N4PAT

        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            Tray Murphy wrote:

            > This (easygps.com <http://easygps.com>) is a parked domain. Can you
            > please tell us the actual program, or give a link to a download page?
            > I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by
            > who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
            > Thanks,
            > Tray Murphy
            > N4PAT

            I beg to differ. EasyGPS.NET (as in the original post) was a parked
            domain and I also avoided going any deeper. Then I searched for EasyGPS
            in Google and got the link to EasyGPS.COM which doesn't look like a
            parked domain to me. I downloaded the software to check out the next
            time I have one of my Nuvi 350s in from the car. I also like to clear
            out the accumulated APRS waypoints but still preserve my normal
            navigation waypoints, especially after a long trip through other
            APRS-active areas!

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
          • Pete Lilja
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              It's TopoGraphix's Easy GPS

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                It would appear I struck a nerve.  I'm looking into other solutions.  I'll post if I get any results.

                Al

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Hi Al,

                  No nerves here. ;)

                  One of the issues with TNCs is lack of memory. When future generations are released, new features are always added. More memory will be on the list I am sure. Hopefully, future GPS software will be enhanced to serve the much smaller niches, like APRS. One can only hope!

                  I don't have the Nuvi but I will share one method that has worked for me in the past on my Garmin GPS V.

                  For the waypoints I like to keep in my GPS, I make sure the waypoint symbol is something other than what is used by the OT2. When I used the NMEA protocol, that was simple. The OT2 sent a GPWPL sentence which made all the waypoints a dot. I made everything else not a dot. That way I could delete all waypoints with the dot symbol. This does not fix delete an "aged" waypoint. That would be nice.

                  I have tried a similar method using the Garmin protocol yet. I get 'car' and 'truck' symbols which I can readily delete. Again, there is not a way to delete 'aged' waypoints. For the fixed stations, I see an antenna symbol. That is the same symbol I use for the WX transmitters.

                  I used EasyGPS to manage the list of waypoints. Now I use ExpertGPS for managing waypoints. I manage more (>500) than my GPS can hold. So I have to select what I want for the moment anyway.

                  By the way, if you are into Geocaching, try GeoBuddy, also by Topografix. It plays very much like ExpertGPS. I have had excellent service from Topografix, so I may sound like an advertisement. Service is paramount to me.

                  There is no way to delete waypoints in a Garmin GPS from software. Garmin left out that command. I believe Magellan does have that feature in a GPS. I don't know the model. Regardless, no TNC currently keeps that much record of waypoints.

                  I know your question did not involve PCs, but if interested read further.

                  There may be a PC software solution with waypoint aging. I know of none at the moment, but I do not use a PC mobile yet. With the laptops in the 7", 9", etc. range, using one mobile is easier then ever. That will be one of my near future additions. Personally, I believe a mobile PC makes for the best window into APRS. The screen is bigger and there is little limit to how much memory and speed that is available.

                  A free application for Windows is USAPhotomaps and for Linux, try Xastir. Everything I see and hear about Xastir is that it kicks donkey! I currently don't understand or have time to explore Linux to get Xastir running on it. USAPM does not do waypoint aging last I checked: Xastir may There is a Xastir user group to ask questions. Source code is available for each.

                  I hope this provides some insight, knowledge, etc.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Thanks Fred,

                    I just meant, by the nerves comment, that it seems I'm not the only one inerested in a way to age waypoints.

                    Well, I probably won't have that many other waypoints in there, so it will be less trouble, I think, to just delete them all periodically and reset "home" and one or two others than to carry it in, hook it up, and reload from the PC.  Lynn D. posted about a method of transferring from an SD card to memory, so I may look into that.

                    I have snooped around in the Nuvi and discovered that all waypoints are in a single XML file in the .gpx format.  So either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.  I have reviewed the Interface for the fleet management interface and, as you said, there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a waypoint, nor does it appear there is a way to deliver waypoints except in a GPIfile.  So if we believe that the OT2 does not have enough memory to hold and re-send the complete GPI file then the Nuvi must be capable of accepting a file with a single waypoin in it and concatenating it to the existing file.

                    I have a few ideas, and I'll be doing a little testing when I get a chance.

                    Al

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                      Al (callsign?) wrote...

                      > either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint
                      > comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.

                      The OT2m only sends waypoints one at a time to the Nuvi as position
                      reports are received. Storing an entire list of them would take up too
                      much space in the OT2m, and would mean a lot of extra work for the OT2m
                      and for the Nuvi.

                      It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                      at once. If anyone wants to protect waypoints, someone already offered a
                      suggestion some months ago. Store them on an SD card in the Nuvi and
                      write-protect it. I don't recall hearing anyone saying that it didn't
                      work, so I assume that it's a viable solution.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    • Tray Murphy
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                        I'm sorry, my bad...it was easygps.net that was parked...I was trying to do too many things at once. Thanks for setting me straight!
                        Tray
                        N4PAT
                      • Dale Seaburg
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                          On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                          >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                          >at once.

                          OK, I'll bite.  How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time?  I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                          BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern Oregon and then back home.  I can say that digi coverage was good in places and nonexistent in others.  And, other places where several digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1).  Overall, the Nuvi 350, OT2m and the FT1500 did well.

                          73 - Dale.  KG5LT

                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Dale KG5LT wrote...

                            > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                            > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                            This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                            select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          • Dale Seaburg
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                              Super, Keith!  Thanks for the heads-up.

                              Dale.  KG5LT

                              Dale KG5LT wrote...

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                Dale,

                                If you'd like to see what your APRS coverage looked like on your trip from 9/29 through yesterday, check out:

                                http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KG5LT* (Trailing * required)

                                The higher the final dash number, the higher the resolution.  You'll need to zoom in on some to see the details.

                                The -D-nn.PNG files ignore the digis/IGates and focus on just showing your beaconed positions.

                                Red lines are direct communications.  Green lines are digi->Igate.  Small red circles are Digis.  Large red circles are IGates.

                                Of course, all of this is generated from APRS-IS so it represents only the first packet to be gated.  Without local receivers, it's impossible to guess what the actual RF landscape looked like!

                                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                                  Dale Seaburg wrote:

                                  > On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                                  >

                                  > >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                                  > >at once.
                                  >
                                  > OK, I'll bite. How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a
                                  > time? I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so
                                  > individually.
                                  >
                                  > BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern
                                  > Oregon and then back home. I can say that digi coverage was good in
                                  > places and nonexistent in others. And, other places where several
                                  > digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1). Overall, the Nuvi 350,
                                  > OT2m and the FT1500 did well.
                                  >
                                  > 73 - Dale. KG5LT

                                • Dale Seaburg
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                    Thanks, Lynn.  Very informative.  I've d/l'd them for further review.

                                    73 - Dale.  KG5LT