Re: [tracker2] Aging of Waypoints

  • Adam Fast
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2009
      In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
      On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.

      This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual navigation and not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS" software (easygps.net) - it is able to download / manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all of my non-APRS waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to the Nuvi after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other positions can stay available.
    • Rudy
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        Can you be more specific which software you are refering to on that webpage?

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fast <adamfast@...> wrote:

        > > In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
        > > On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.
        > >

        > This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual navigation and
        > not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS" software (easygps.net) -
        > it is able to download / manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all
        > of my non-APRS waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to
        > the Nuvi after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other
        > positions can stay available.

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          EasyGPS is the name of the software.

          Can you be more specific which software you are refering to on that webpage?

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Adam Fast <adamfast@.. .> wrote:

          > > In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
          > > On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.
          > >

          > This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual navigation and
          > not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS" software (easygps.net) -
          > it is able to download / manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all
          > of my non-APRS waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to
          > the Nuvi after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other
          > positions can stay available.

        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            Adam Fast wrote:

            > In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
            > On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the
            > memory.
            >

            > This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual
            > navigation and not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS"
            > software (easygps.net <http://easygps.net>) - it is able to download /
            > manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all of my non-APRS
            > waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to the Nuvi
            > after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other
            > positions can stay available.

            Somebody had posted a technique a while back that involved populating
            the SD card with a file and then making it write protected so that the
            Nuvi couldn't delete it after loading. I tried it at the time, but
            didn't get it to work.

            Is anybody using this technique on a Nuvi 350 and, more importantly, can
            you provide detailed instructions on the process?

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Nuvi 350s as KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
          • Tray Murphy
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              This (easygps.com) is a parked domain. Can you please tell us the  actual program, or give a link to a download page? I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
              Thanks,
              Tray Murphy
              N4PAT
            • Pete Lilja
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                Try http://www.easygps.com/ rather than .net.  It is handy and easy to use software.  Thanks for the reminder - I have had but haven't used it in years. I just used it to transfer My Favorites from my old Nuvi to my new 350.

                Pete

              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Open this web site: http://easygps.com/
                  In the (sort of upper) right corner, there is a link. It is a BIG blue button that says "Download EasyGPS". But in case it isn't working for you, try:

                  BTW, I used EasyGPS prior to purchasing ExpertGPS. The packages are from the same author. I have used ExpertGPS for about 7 years. In fact, I just upgrade to the GIS version in September.
                  The corresponding forums are here:

                  I guess microsoft.com must be parked too and now I understand the lack of trust. ;)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Tray Murphy wrote:

                    > This (easygps.com <http://easygps.com>) is a parked domain. Can you
                    > please tell us the actual program, or give a link to a download page?
                    > I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by
                    > who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Tray Murphy
                    > N4PAT

                    I beg to differ. EasyGPS.NET (as in the original post) was a parked
                    domain and I also avoided going any deeper. Then I searched for EasyGPS
                    in Google and got the link to EasyGPS.COM which doesn't look like a
                    parked domain to me. I downloaded the software to check out the next
                    time I have one of my Nuvi 350s in from the car. I also like to clear
                    out the accumulated APRS waypoints but still preserve my normal
                    navigation waypoints, especially after a long trip through other
                    APRS-active areas!

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                  • Pete Lilja
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                      It's TopoGraphix's Easy GPS

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                        It would appear I struck a nerve.  I'm looking into other solutions.  I'll post if I get any results.

                        Al

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                          Hi Al,

                          No nerves here. ;)

                          One of the issues with TNCs is lack of memory. When future generations are released, new features are always added. More memory will be on the list I am sure. Hopefully, future GPS software will be enhanced to serve the much smaller niches, like APRS. One can only hope!

                          I don't have the Nuvi but I will share one method that has worked for me in the past on my Garmin GPS V.

                          For the waypoints I like to keep in my GPS, I make sure the waypoint symbol is something other than what is used by the OT2. When I used the NMEA protocol, that was simple. The OT2 sent a GPWPL sentence which made all the waypoints a dot. I made everything else not a dot. That way I could delete all waypoints with the dot symbol. This does not fix delete an "aged" waypoint. That would be nice.

                          I have tried a similar method using the Garmin protocol yet. I get 'car' and 'truck' symbols which I can readily delete. Again, there is not a way to delete 'aged' waypoints. For the fixed stations, I see an antenna symbol. That is the same symbol I use for the WX transmitters.

                          I used EasyGPS to manage the list of waypoints. Now I use ExpertGPS for managing waypoints. I manage more (>500) than my GPS can hold. So I have to select what I want for the moment anyway.

                          By the way, if you are into Geocaching, try GeoBuddy, also by Topografix. It plays very much like ExpertGPS. I have had excellent service from Topografix, so I may sound like an advertisement. Service is paramount to me.

                          There is no way to delete waypoints in a Garmin GPS from software. Garmin left out that command. I believe Magellan does have that feature in a GPS. I don't know the model. Regardless, no TNC currently keeps that much record of waypoints.

                          I know your question did not involve PCs, but if interested read further.

                          There may be a PC software solution with waypoint aging. I know of none at the moment, but I do not use a PC mobile yet. With the laptops in the 7", 9", etc. range, using one mobile is easier then ever. That will be one of my near future additions. Personally, I believe a mobile PC makes for the best window into APRS. The screen is bigger and there is little limit to how much memory and speed that is available.

                          A free application for Windows is USAPhotomaps and for Linux, try Xastir. Everything I see and hear about Xastir is that it kicks donkey! I currently don't understand or have time to explore Linux to get Xastir running on it. USAPM does not do waypoint aging last I checked: Xastir may There is a Xastir user group to ask questions. Source code is available for each.

                          I hope this provides some insight, knowledge, etc.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                            Thanks Fred,

                            I just meant, by the nerves comment, that it seems I'm not the only one inerested in a way to age waypoints.

                            Well, I probably won't have that many other waypoints in there, so it will be less trouble, I think, to just delete them all periodically and reset "home" and one or two others than to carry it in, hook it up, and reload from the PC.  Lynn D. posted about a method of transferring from an SD card to memory, so I may look into that.

                            I have snooped around in the Nuvi and discovered that all waypoints are in a single XML file in the .gpx format.  So either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.  I have reviewed the Interface for the fleet management interface and, as you said, there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a waypoint, nor does it appear there is a way to deliver waypoints except in a GPIfile.  So if we believe that the OT2 does not have enough memory to hold and re-send the complete GPI file then the Nuvi must be capable of accepting a file with a single waypoin in it and concatenating it to the existing file.

                            I have a few ideas, and I'll be doing a little testing when I get a chance.

                            Al

                          • Keith VE7GDH
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                              Al (callsign?) wrote...

                              > either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint
                              > comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.

                              The OT2m only sends waypoints one at a time to the Nuvi as position
                              reports are received. Storing an entire list of them would take up too
                              much space in the OT2m, and would mean a lot of extra work for the OT2m
                              and for the Nuvi.

                              It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                              at once. If anyone wants to protect waypoints, someone already offered a
                              suggestion some months ago. Store them on an SD card in the Nuvi and
                              write-protect it. I don't recall hearing anyone saying that it didn't
                              work, so I assume that it's a viable solution.

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            • Tray Murphy
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                I'm sorry, my bad...it was easygps.net that was parked...I was trying to do too many things at once. Thanks for setting me straight!
                                Tray
                                N4PAT
                              • Dale Seaburg
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                                  On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                                  >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                                  >at once.

                                  OK, I'll bite.  How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time?  I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                                  BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern Oregon and then back home.  I can say that digi coverage was good in places and nonexistent in others.  And, other places where several digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1).  Overall, the Nuvi 350, OT2m and the FT1500 did well.

                                  73 - Dale.  KG5LT

                                • Keith VE7GDH
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                    Dale KG5LT wrote...

                                    > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                                    > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                                    This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                                    select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                  • Dale Seaburg
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                      Super, Keith!  Thanks for the heads-up.

                                      Dale.  KG5LT

                                      Dale KG5LT wrote...

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                        Dale,

                                        If you'd like to see what your APRS coverage looked like on your trip from 9/29 through yesterday, check out:

                                        http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KG5LT* (Trailing * required)

                                        The higher the final dash number, the higher the resolution.  You'll need to zoom in on some to see the details.

                                        The -D-nn.PNG files ignore the digis/IGates and focus on just showing your beaconed positions.

                                        Red lines are direct communications.  Green lines are digi->Igate.  Small red circles are Digis.  Large red circles are IGates.

                                        Of course, all of this is generated from APRS-IS so it represents only the first packet to be gated.  Without local receivers, it's impossible to guess what the actual RF landscape looked like!

                                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                                          Dale Seaburg wrote:

                                          > On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                                          >

                                          > >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                                          > >at once.
                                          >
                                          > OK, I'll bite. How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a
                                          > time? I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so
                                          > individually.
                                          >
                                          > BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern
                                          > Oregon and then back home. I can say that digi coverage was good in
                                          > places and nonexistent in others. And, other places where several
                                          > digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1). Overall, the Nuvi 350,
                                          > OT2m and the FT1500 did well.
                                          >
                                          > 73 - Dale. KG5LT

                                        • Dale Seaburg
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                            Thanks, Lynn.  Very informative.  I've d/l'd them for further review.

                                            73 - Dale.  KG5LT