Aging of Waypoints

  • Al Waschka
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2009
      I'm running a OT2M with a Nuvi 350.  Got it all hooked up last night and generally it's pretty impressive, but there's one issue I'm not clear on.  Is there any way to "age" waypoints out of the table and off the display?  For consistent users in my area, their latest position replaces the old one, but for someone passing through or delivered by anomalous propagation, the waypoint never goes away.  Further, there doesn't weem to be any way to determine which waypoints are fresh and which are old.  Is the only answer to delete them all periodically?

      Thanks,

      Al

    • Brian Clark
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 30, 2009
        Al Waschka wrote:

        > I'm running a OT2M with a Nuvi 350. Got it all hooked up last night
        > and generally it's pretty impressive, but there's one issue I'm not
        > clear on. Is there any way to "age" waypoints out of the table and
        > off the display? For consistent users in my area, their latest
        > position replaces the old one, but for someone passing through or
        > delivered by anomalous propagation, the waypoint never goes away.
        > Further, there doesn't weem to be any way to determine which waypoints
        > are fresh and which are old. Is the only answer to delete them all
        > periodically?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Al

        In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
        On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.
        --

        Brian Clark, W4SOU
      • Adam Fast
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 30, 2009
          In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
          On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.

          This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual navigation and not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS" software (easygps.net) - it is able to download / manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all of my non-APRS waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to the Nuvi after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other positions can stay available.
        • Rudy
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            Can you be more specific which software you are refering to on that webpage?

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fast <adamfast@...> wrote:

            > > In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
            > > On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.
            > >

            > This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual navigation and
            > not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS" software (easygps.net) -
            > it is able to download / manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all
            > of my non-APRS waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to
            > the Nuvi after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other
            > positions can stay available.

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              EasyGPS is the name of the software.

              Can you be more specific which software you are refering to on that webpage?

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Adam Fast <adamfast@.. .> wrote:

              > > In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
              > > On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the memory.
              > >

              > This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual navigation and
              > not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS" software (easygps.net) -
              > it is able to download / manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all
              > of my non-APRS waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to
              > the Nuvi after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other
              > positions can stay available.

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                Adam Fast wrote:

                > In the menu, tap Dispatch -> Find Location -> My Locations
                > On the bottom right is a button "Delete All". Tap it to clear the
                > memory.
                >

                > This does work - but for those who use their Nuvi for actual
                > navigation and not just APRS, my solution has been the "EasyGPS"
                > software (easygps.net <http://easygps.net>) - it is able to download /
                > manage / upload waypoints. I have a file with all of my non-APRS
                > waypoints and can in just a minute or so have it re-sent to the Nuvi
                > after clearing the memory as mentioned above. That way my other
                > positions can stay available.

                Somebody had posted a technique a while back that involved populating
                the SD card with a file and then making it write protected so that the
                Nuvi couldn't delete it after loading. I tried it at the time, but
                didn't get it to work.

                Is anybody using this technique on a Nuvi 350 and, more importantly, can
                you provide detailed instructions on the process?

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Nuvi 350s as KJ4ERJ-9 and KJ4OVQ-9
              • Tray Murphy
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                  This (easygps.com) is a parked domain. Can you please tell us the  actual program, or give a link to a download page? I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
                  Thanks,
                  Tray Murphy
                  N4PAT
                • Pete Lilja
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Try http://www.easygps.com/ rather than .net.  It is handy and easy to use software.  Thanks for the reminder - I have had but haven't used it in years. I just used it to transfer My Favorites from my old Nuvi to my new 350.

                    Pete

                  • Fred Hillhouse
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                      Open this web site: http://easygps.com/
                      In the (sort of upper) right corner, there is a link. It is a BIG blue button that says "Download EasyGPS". But in case it isn't working for you, try:

                      BTW, I used EasyGPS prior to purchasing ExpertGPS. The packages are from the same author. I have used ExpertGPS for about 7 years. In fact, I just upgrade to the GIS version in September.
                      The corresponding forums are here:

                      I guess microsoft.com must be parked too and now I understand the lack of trust. ;)

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                        Tray Murphy wrote:

                        > This (easygps.com <http://easygps.com>) is a parked domain. Can you
                        > please tell us the actual program, or give a link to a download page?
                        > I don't trust links on parked sites as they are sponsored by
                        > who-knows-who and could contain malware loaders, etc.
                        > Thanks,
                        > Tray Murphy
                        > N4PAT

                        I beg to differ. EasyGPS.NET (as in the original post) was a parked
                        domain and I also avoided going any deeper. Then I searched for EasyGPS
                        in Google and got the link to EasyGPS.COM which doesn't look like a
                        parked domain to me. I downloaded the software to check out the next
                        time I have one of my Nuvi 350s in from the car. I also like to clear
                        out the accumulated APRS waypoints but still preserve my normal
                        navigation waypoints, especially after a long trip through other
                        APRS-active areas!

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                      • Pete Lilja
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                          It's TopoGraphix's Easy GPS

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                            It would appear I struck a nerve.  I'm looking into other solutions.  I'll post if I get any results.

                            Al

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                              Hi Al,

                              No nerves here. ;)

                              One of the issues with TNCs is lack of memory. When future generations are released, new features are always added. More memory will be on the list I am sure. Hopefully, future GPS software will be enhanced to serve the much smaller niches, like APRS. One can only hope!

                              I don't have the Nuvi but I will share one method that has worked for me in the past on my Garmin GPS V.

                              For the waypoints I like to keep in my GPS, I make sure the waypoint symbol is something other than what is used by the OT2. When I used the NMEA protocol, that was simple. The OT2 sent a GPWPL sentence which made all the waypoints a dot. I made everything else not a dot. That way I could delete all waypoints with the dot symbol. This does not fix delete an "aged" waypoint. That would be nice.

                              I have tried a similar method using the Garmin protocol yet. I get 'car' and 'truck' symbols which I can readily delete. Again, there is not a way to delete 'aged' waypoints. For the fixed stations, I see an antenna symbol. That is the same symbol I use for the WX transmitters.

                              I used EasyGPS to manage the list of waypoints. Now I use ExpertGPS for managing waypoints. I manage more (>500) than my GPS can hold. So I have to select what I want for the moment anyway.

                              By the way, if you are into Geocaching, try GeoBuddy, also by Topografix. It plays very much like ExpertGPS. I have had excellent service from Topografix, so I may sound like an advertisement. Service is paramount to me.

                              There is no way to delete waypoints in a Garmin GPS from software. Garmin left out that command. I believe Magellan does have that feature in a GPS. I don't know the model. Regardless, no TNC currently keeps that much record of waypoints.

                              I know your question did not involve PCs, but if interested read further.

                              There may be a PC software solution with waypoint aging. I know of none at the moment, but I do not use a PC mobile yet. With the laptops in the 7", 9", etc. range, using one mobile is easier then ever. That will be one of my near future additions. Personally, I believe a mobile PC makes for the best window into APRS. The screen is bigger and there is little limit to how much memory and speed that is available.

                              A free application for Windows is USAPhotomaps and for Linux, try Xastir. Everything I see and hear about Xastir is that it kicks donkey! I currently don't understand or have time to explore Linux to get Xastir running on it. USAPM does not do waypoint aging last I checked: Xastir may There is a Xastir user group to ask questions. Source code is available for each.

                              I hope this provides some insight, knowledge, etc.

                              Best regards,
                              Fred

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                                Thanks Fred,

                                I just meant, by the nerves comment, that it seems I'm not the only one inerested in a way to age waypoints.

                                Well, I probably won't have that many other waypoints in there, so it will be less trouble, I think, to just delete them all periodically and reset "home" and one or two others than to carry it in, hook it up, and reload from the PC.  Lynn D. posted about a method of transferring from an SD card to memory, so I may look into that.

                                I have snooped around in the Nuvi and discovered that all waypoints are in a single XML file in the .gpx format.  So either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.  I have reviewed the Interface for the fleet management interface and, as you said, there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a waypoint, nor does it appear there is a way to deliver waypoints except in a GPIfile.  So if we believe that the OT2 does not have enough memory to hold and re-send the complete GPI file then the Nuvi must be capable of accepting a file with a single waypoin in it and concatenating it to the existing file.

                                I have a few ideas, and I'll be doing a little testing when I get a chance.

                                Al

                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
                                  Al (callsign?) wrote...

                                  > either the OT2 is re-sending the entire file every time a new waypoint
                                  > comes in or the Nuvi makes incremental additions.

                                  The OT2m only sends waypoints one at a time to the Nuvi as position
                                  reports are received. Storing an entire list of them would take up too
                                  much space in the OT2m, and would mean a lot of extra work for the OT2m
                                  and for the Nuvi.

                                  It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                                  at once. If anyone wants to protect waypoints, someone already offered a
                                  suggestion some months ago. Store them on an SD card in the Nuvi and
                                  write-protect it. I don't recall hearing anyone saying that it didn't
                                  work, so I assume that it's a viable solution.

                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                • Tray Murphy
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                    I'm sorry, my bad...it was easygps.net that was parked...I was trying to do too many things at once. Thanks for setting me straight!
                                    Tray
                                    N4PAT
                                  • Dale Seaburg
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                                      On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                                      >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                                      >at once.

                                      OK, I'll bite.  How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time?  I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                                      BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern Oregon and then back home.  I can say that digi coverage was good in places and nonexistent in others.  And, other places where several digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1).  Overall, the Nuvi 350, OT2m and the FT1500 did well.

                                      73 - Dale.  KG5LT

                                    • Keith VE7GDH
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                        Dale KG5LT wrote...

                                        > How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a time? I see the
                                        > Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so individually.

                                        This is on a Nuvi 350 in FMI mode... dispatch, find location, favorites,
                                        select a waypoint, edit and then delete.

                                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                      • Dale Seaburg
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                          Super, Keith!  Thanks for the heads-up.

                                          Dale.  KG5LT

                                          Dale KG5LT wrote...

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                            Dale,

                                            If you'd like to see what your APRS coverage looked like on your trip from 9/29 through yesterday, check out:

                                            http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KG5LT* (Trailing * required)

                                            The higher the final dash number, the higher the resolution.  You'll need to zoom in on some to see the details.

                                            The -D-nn.PNG files ignore the digis/IGates and focus on just showing your beaconed positions.

                                            Red lines are direct communications.  Green lines are digi->Igate.  Small red circles are Digis.  Large red circles are IGates.

                                            Of course, all of this is generated from APRS-IS so it represents only the first packet to be gated.  Without local receivers, it's impossible to guess what the actual RF landscape looked like!

                                            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009

                                              Dale Seaburg wrote:

                                              > On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                                              >

                                              > >It's easy to delete waypoints in the Nuvi, either one at a time or all
                                              > >at once.
                                              >
                                              > OK, I'll bite. How do you delete waypoints on the Nuvi 350 one at a
                                              > time? I see the Delete All button, but it's not clear how to do so
                                              > individually.
                                              >
                                              > BTW, I had a good trip from Central Texas to near O'brien in Southern
                                              > Oregon and then back home. I can say that digi coverage was good in
                                              > places and nonexistent in others. And, other places where several
                                              > digis were heard, but none heard me (KG5LT-1). Overall, the Nuvi 350,
                                              > OT2m and the FT1500 did well.
                                              >
                                              > 73 - Dale. KG5LT

                                            • Dale Seaburg
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 2, 2009
                                                Thanks, Lynn.  Very informative.  I've d/l'd them for further review.

                                                73 - Dale.  KG5LT