Re: [tracker2] Tracker2 with LCD display

  • Steven Palm
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 17, 2009
      Just to make sure, since I don't have the information on the model
      Scott was working with, how does the backlighting most likely need to
      be configured on this?

      PIN Symbol Level Function
      1 VSS - GND(0V)
      2 VDD - Supply Voltage for Logic(+5V)
      3 V0 - Power supply for LCD
      4 RS H/L H: Data; L: Instruction Code
      5 R/W H/L H: Read; L: Write
      6 E H/L Enable Signal
      7 DB0 H/L
      8 DB1 H/L
      9 DB2 H/L
      10 DB3 H/L Data Bus Line
      11 DB4 H/L
      12 DB5 H/L
      13 DB6 H/L
      14 DB7 H/L
      15 A - Backlight Power (+5V)
      16 K - Backlight Power (0V)

      Since I've never worked with one of these before, I'm not sure how
      that compares. Most of the pins are the same as the WIKI docs for the
      Tracker2 LCD interface, but the WIKI only shows +5V going to Pin2 and
      it looks like this one requires it go to Pin2, Pin3 and Pin15 ? And
      is Pin16 a ground?

      Thanks for clearing up my ignorance. I'm guessing that Pins15/16 are
      just +5/GND, and need to be connected, so maybe they should be added
      to the WIKI page for guys like me who take the instructions as being
      definitive and complete. :)

      Steve

      On Jul 14, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

      > At a glance, yeah, that looks like it'll work.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > Steven Palm wrote:
      >>

      >> On Jan 8, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
      >>> Since trackers with LCD displays seem to be the popular thing these
      >>> days, and I'd already done it with the OT1+, I figured I'd take a
      >>> shot
      >>> at hooking a display up to a T2.
      >>
      >> Great work!
      >>
      >> I think these are compatible, right? If so, the price is right at
      >> only $12:
      >>
      >> http://www.411techsystems.com/html/dm2004abb6ntdw.html
      >> <http://www.411techsystems.com/html/dm2004abb6ntdw.html>
      >>
      >> Steve

    • JohnD
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 7, 2010
        > - display outputs gibberish characters on lines 1/3 when T2 writes to it. But I never see gibberish on lines 2/4

        Power up sequence? What Power up sequence? Ohhhhhhhhh, you mean *that* power up sequence.

        Fred tells me the following in an email "The LCD has a particular startup sequence and this will only be done at the T2 startup."

        Whereas, I took the WIKI quite literally "No configuration is necessary. The standard Tracker2 firmware will begin using the display automatically. "

        So, I just plugged it in, hot. What a newbie mistake!

        > -I put an SPST switch on +5v input (pin 15 on the mono8) and
        > here's the really weird part. When I turn on the switch, the display and the backlight LEDs come on. When I turn off the switch, the LEDS remain on, but dim down a bit.

        Bad switch - still delivering +3.9V power in the OFF position