Distance calculations

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
    Hi Scott,

    I noticed a slight distance discrepancy the other day and captured a photo.
    Or I have a incorrect setting. I am good with either option. It looks like
    the range calculations are okay when the distance is close but not when it
    is further way. I have seen this several times.

    Thanks!

    Best regards,
    Fred
    Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
      Is that showing 4 miles on the LCD and 0.27 miles on the GPS?

      Scott

      Fred Hillhouse wrote:

      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Fred Hillhouse included below]
      >
      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > I noticed a slight distance discrepancy the other day and captured a photo.
      > Or I have a incorrect setting. I am good with either option. It looks like
      > the range calculations are okay when the distance is close but not when it
      > is further way. I have seen this several times.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Fred

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2009
        HI Scott,

        That is correct.

        Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2009
          Hmmm. Is the reported distance consistent? Can you send me an example
          of a raw packet that it's reporting incorrectly?

          Scott

          Fred Hillhouse wrote:

          > HI Scott,
          >
          > That is correct.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Fred

        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 5 of 12 , Sep 16, 2009
            Hi Scott,

            I will see what I can capture. It will take a few days to get it. At the moment, PNRDVL is off the air for some testing on another system. It will return on Friday evening.

            The distance on the GPS always appears correct. And the waypoint is always where it should be.

            On the LCD, the distance appears to be consistently much longer when the distance is short. How short I don't know. I will have to do some more data gathering and forward it.

            Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2009
              But the very close position (~30 ft) was correct, right?

              I'm not sure what's going on here. The calculation itself is fairly
              simple. Seems more likely that it's a decoding problem.

              Scott

              Fred Hillhouse wrote:

              > Hi Scott,
              >
              > I will see what I can capture. It will take a few days to get it. At the
              > moment, PNRDVL is off the air for some testing on another system. It
              > will return on Friday evening.
              >
              > The distance on the GPS always appears correct. And the waypoint is
              > always where it should be.
              >
              > On the LCD, the distance appears to be consistently much longer when the
              > distance is short. How short I don't know. I will have to do some more
              > data gathering and forward it.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Fred

            • Dan zubey
              Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 2009
                Hey Scott,

                Do the calculations take into account the curvature of the earth?

                A straight line from here to 100 mi from here goes through some dirt.
                Driving there is a little bit farther than 100mi.

                Just occured to me while sitting here.

                -Dan
                ___
                Sent with SnapperMail
                www.snappermail.com

                Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 2009
                  The great circle distance calculation was taking up too much code space
                  and time, so it's just calculating the Euclidean distance and fudging
                  the X distance by a factor that depends on the latitude. I think I
                  figured that it was accurate to a few percent at normal APRS distances.

                  Scott

                  Dan zubey wrote:

                  > Hey Scott,
                  >
                  > Do the calculations take into account the curvature of the earth?
                  >
                  > A straight line from here to 100 mi from here goes through some dirt.
                  > Driving there is a little bit farther than 100mi.
                  >
                  > Just occured to me while sitting here.
                  >
                  > -Dan
                  > ___
                  > Sent with SnapperMail
                  > www.snappermail.com

                • Broncus
                  Message 9 of 12 , Jan 21, 2010
                    Hi Scott,

                    I figured out why the difference. It should have been obvious to me at the time. Doh!

                    This is the fill-in digipeater and it is displayed correctly:
                    PNRDVL>APN383:!4259.89N107130.40W#PHG6130/W1 Fill-InPinardvill N7FMH $GPWPL,4259.89,N,07130.40,W,PNRDVL*41
                    $PGRMW,PNRDVL,0,4007,PHG6130/W1 Fill-InPinardvill N7FMH *6C

                    This is an object from the fill-in which is not displayed correctly:
                    PNRDVL>BEACON:;147.135NH*111111z4258.99N/07135.36WrT100 r25m S.Uncan MT $GPWPL,4258.99,N,07135.36,W,147.135NH*7A
                    $PGRMW,147.135NH,0,4007,T100 r25m S.Uncan MT *0F

                    The LCD displays the station that sent the object rather than the object itself. In this case, the object is "147.135NH".

                    I believe my formatting in the fill-in is correct which means the OT2 is not doing the right thing.

                    The attachments are still online for review.

                    Thanks for looking into this!

                    Best regards,
                    Fred

                    > Hmmm. Is the reported distance consistent? Can you send me an example
                    > of a raw packet that it's reporting incorrectly?
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >
                    > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                    > >

                    > > HI Scott,
                    > >
                    > > That is correct.
                    > >
                    > > Best regards,
                    > > Fred

                  • Broncus
                    Message 10 of 12 , Jan 21, 2010
                      I forgot to add the link to the photo:
                      em/1889627634/view

                      Message 11 of 12 , Jan 21, 2010
                        Ok, I'll put that on my list to check out.

                        Scott

                        Broncus wrote:

                        > Hi Scott,
                        >
                        > I figured out why the difference. It should have been obvious to me at
                        > the time. Doh!
                        >
                        > This is the fill-in digipeater and it is displayed correctly:
                        > PNRDVL>APN383:!4259.89N107130.40W#PHG6130/W1 Fill-InPinardvill N7FMH
                        > $GPWPL,4259.89,N,07130.40,W,PNRDVL*41
                        > $PGRMW,PNRDVL,0,4007,PHG6130/W1 Fill-InPinardvill N7FMH *6C
                        >
                        > This is an object from the fill-in which is not displayed correctly:
                        > PNRDVL>BEACON:;147.135NH*111111z4258.99N/07135.36WrT100 r25m S.Uncan MT
                        > $GPWPL,4258.99,N,07135.36,W,147.135NH*7A
                        > $PGRMW,147.135NH,0,4007,T100 r25m S.Uncan MT *0F
                        >
                        > The LCD displays the station that sent the object rather than the object
                        > itself. In this case, the object is "147.135NH".
                        >
                        > I believe my formatting in the fill-in is correct which means the OT2 is
                        > not doing the right thing.
                        >
                        > The attachments are still online for review.
                        >
                        > Thanks for looking into this!
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        > Fred

                        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hmmm. Is the reported distance consistent? Can you send me an example
                        > > of a raw packet that it's reporting incorrectly?
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                        > >
                        > > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > HI Scott,
                        > > >
                        > > > That is correct.
                        > > >
                        > > > Best regards,
                        > > > Fred

                        > > > *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                      • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                        Message 12 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
                          Hi Scott,

                          Another update:
                          Earlier I posted the LCD shows the station sending an object. I also just
                          noticed, the station sending the beacon also gets moved on the GPS. This is
                          not unexpected given the LCD contents.

                          So in the example below, PNRDVL moves to the 147.135NH location until PNRDVL
                          sends it own location again.

                          Thanks again!