Greetings and Questions

  • wc5m
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
      Greetings,

      I have been lurking in the background for several months silently reading posts. This is my first post to the group. I am considering the purchase of a T2-301 to interface my WMR-968 weather station to APRS. Does the unit come with a PC serial cable or do I have to get my own? Also, it looks like the output is a DB-9 RS-232 and I need to convert to USB input. Can someone recommend a ready made cable to do just that? I would consider building one myself but my eyesight isn't what it used to be when I soldered cell phone boards for a living under a microscope 10 years ago (translation: trifocal glasses).

      Mark WC5M
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
        My T2-301 came with no cables. Its DB9 provides rs232 (2 ports) and
        power connectivity, but you'll have to make or buy a breakout cable.

        Another US$8 gets you a cable that breaks out power and rs232:

        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=125

        The db9 on this cable gets you serial port A on pins 2 and 3 (the
        standard pins) and port B on pins 7 and 8. You can use this to get a
        single serial port connected (a computer or GPS but not both).

        Add a second cable for another US$7.50

        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93

        and it splits out both serial ports from the first cable, so that you
        can connect a computer and a GPS simultaneously.

        While you're at it, you can order a USB to RS232 adapter for a very
        reasonable US$15:

        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=46

        This will get you maximum connectivity to your T2-301 (everything
        except a GPS cable) with zero soldering.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • rudybenner
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
          SOMEONE .... should make a cable that does the breakout including the Rj-15 for the weather station
          .
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

          > My T2-301 came with no cables. Its DB9 provides rs232 (2 ports) and
          > power connectivity, but you'll have to make or buy a breakout cable.
          >
          > Another US$8 gets you a cable that breaks out power and rs232:
          >
          > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=125
          >
          > The db9 on this cable gets you serial port A on pins 2 and 3 (the
          > standard pins) and port B on pins 7 and 8. You can use this to get a
          > single serial port connected (a computer or GPS but not both).
          >
          > Add a second cable for another US$7.50
          >
          > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93
          >
          > and it splits out both serial ports from the first cable, so that you
          > can connect a computer and a GPS simultaneously.
          >
          > While you're at it, you can order a USB to RS232 adapter for a very
          > reasonable US$15:
          >
          > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=46
          >
          > This will get you maximum connectivity to your T2-301 (everything
          > except a GPS cable) with zero soldering.
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

        • wc5m
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
            This brings up another question. I have no intention of using the T2-301 mobile. Is there a way to program your lat/lon coordinates into the T2-301 for fixed operation and so I don't have to tie up my GPS receiver for this? I only plan to use it to upload WX data to my website from my home.

            73,

            Mark Blanton WC5M

            Assistant EC, Ouachita Parish, LA
            NTS/NTSD Official Relay Station
            LA Slow CW Net Manager

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
              Yes, same as the other T2 variants - you can set the position in the
              config program or through the command line.

              Scott

              wc5m wrote:

              > This brings up another question. I have no intention of using the T2-301
              > mobile. Is there a way to program your lat/lon coordinates into the
              > T2-301 for fixed operation and so I don't have to tie up my GPS receiver
              > for this? I only plan to use it to upload WX data to my website from my
              > home.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Mark Blanton WC5M
              >
              > Assistant EC, Ouachita Parish, LA
              > NTS/NTSD Official Relay Station
              > LA Slow CW Net Manager

              > Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > My T2-301 came with no cables. Its DB9 provides rs232 (2 ports) and
              > > power connectivity, but you'll have to make or buy a breakout cable.
              > >
              > > Another US$8 gets you a cable that breaks out power and rs232:
              > >
              > > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=125
              > <https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=125>
              > >
              > > The db9 on this cable gets you serial port A on pins 2 and 3 (the
              > > standard pins) and port B on pins 7 and 8. You can use this to get a
              > > single serial port connected (a computer or GPS but not both).
              > >
              > > Add a second cable for another US$7.50
              > >

              > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93
              > <https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93>
              > >
              > > and it splits out both serial ports from the first cable, so that you
              > > can connect a computer and a GPS simultaneously.
              > >
              > > While you're at it, you can order a USB to RS232 adapter for a very
              > > reasonable US$15:
              > >

              > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=46
              > <https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=46>
              > >
              > > This will get you maximum connectivity to your T2-301 (everything
              > > except a GPS cable) with zero soldering.
              > >
              > > -Jason
              > > kg4wsv

            • nakitatrucker
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
                i emailed you direct scott, did you get my email?
                K7CDL

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
                  I don't see anything...

                  Scott