Re: [tracker2] Tracker2/Display & decoding

  • Mark Cheavens
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2009
      With the modem chip used it is rare that a "weak" or "noisy" signal will get decoded. Is the audio "packet" 9600, 1200, or speaker audio?

      With 1200 baud packet you need to have de-emphasized (sp?) audio to the modem (TNC). Speaker audio DOES have de-emphasis, as should a "1200" baud port of the radio.

      (FYI- 9600 had NO pre- or de- emphasis)

      Just because you can HEAR a packet, does not mean the TNC can decode it. The signal to noise radio need to have a LOT of signal, and VERY little noise.

      Mark
      KC5EVE

      At 01:02 AM 9/10/2009, you wrote:

      Hi there,

      I've Tracker2 connected to a Nuvi350 and was wondering why sometime it
      took a while before I could see some of the callsigns get into the
      Favorite (after I did a delete all). So, I added an LCD display to my
      Tracker2 yesterday and found out that most of the time, Tracker2
      couldn't decode the packets (i.e. not displayed on the LCD) especially
      the weak ones. Now I'm wondering what else I need to do .. Anyway, my
      setup is .. Kenwood TMV71A/Data/BandB <-> Tracker2 with LCD <-> Nuvi.
      I brewed my own cable between the TMV71A and the Tracker2.. sending
      packet out does not seem to be a problem. Is there anything in the
      configuration that I need to do?

      TIA,
      Mohd/9W2TPT