Re: [tracker2] Development build > decoding

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
      I made some tweaks to the clock recovery code, so yes, the RX
      performance should be at least a little better.

      Scott

      Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

      > I'm not sure how the latest build would have improved reception, but if
      > anyone else is as curious as I was, I've generated coverage maps for
      > KC5EVE for his travels on the 29th and 30th. You can see them at:
      >
      > http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*
      > <http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*>
      >
      > There are a few holes along the route, but when it had coverage, it had
      > nice coverage!
      >
      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
      >
      > Mark Cheavens wrote:
      > > On one of my "to do" lists has been to update the firmware in my
      > > T2-135 to the "latest development build" (June 09) for a while.
      > >
      > > I finally got around to it AFTER a long trip (4k miles). The trip was
      > > frustrating at how FEW packets got decoded. (displayed on the Nuvi)
      > >
      > > From my initial testing last night and this morning, all I can say
      > > is WOW!!!! What an improvement! My normal drive before would result
      > > in about 10% of the packets being decode and displayed, Now it
      > > appears to be near 100%.
      > >
      > > (Now if we can just get timestamp of when the packet arrived into the
      > > Nuvi............)
      > >
      > > As usual, great work Scott!
      > >
      > > Mark
      > > KC5EVE

    • Mark Cheavens
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
        There are actually two improvements for the T2-135. The first was on the version2 board a de-emphasis filter was added. (I keep meaning to order one).

        The second was hidden (In plain view:) ) in one of Scott's announcements that he made some timing changes to improve decode performance.

        (Remember I am talking about the T2-135 DECODING - Not other stations decoding me).

        Mark
        KC5EVE

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
          On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Matt Lee<ve7mlx@...> wrote:

          > I want to set-up a T2 as a Digi and I am wondering if anyone has a trick
          > for sending out local announcements with either a status text or a
          > separate (alternate) beacon text that is separate to the main beacon text.

          Have a look here:

          http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Scripting#Multiple_Announcements

          I wrote this to send weekly announcements. It keeps track of the days
          to change announcements, but you can reduce it down to sending
          alternating announcements.

          > Example:
          > Main Text:  Monashee APRS Digi Mount Scaia (Going out at Wide 2-2)
          > Local Announcement text: VE7SMT v146.740- t123.0 (Going out at Wide 2-1
          > or less)
          >
          > This might be possible with an automatic change in profiles. Can you
          > change profiles automatically after a beacon with a macro or built in timer?

          You would have to change profiles in order to change the path. If you
          change the path from the script, it requires a write to the flash
          memory, which after extended use will wear out.

          We need to lobby Scott to allow us to set a volatile path in our
          outgoing packets. I'd like to emulate the WIDE2-2 / LOCAL / LOCAL /
          WIDE2-1 / LOCAL / LOCAL pattern that I set up for the Kantronics
          outgoing proportional path, which I can do in the T2, but I have to
          keep writing the path to change where I send to. If we have the
          ability to specify a path with scripting that doesn't get saved, we
          have more options available.

          This would also be useful for sending other packets as well. I'd like
          to direct TELEMETRY packets down a specified path, rather than over
          the default path. My telemetry data needs to go over a couple hops to
          get where I need it, but I don't need to send it in all directions. If
          I could specify a path for the telemetry such as VIA EVNBRG,PIGEON, it
          would limit the impact on neighboring digipeaters. That would mean I
          also have a means of initiating a telemetry packet from scripting as
          well though.

          BTW, I'd send that voice repeater information out as a voice object,
          so that your users with D710s can hit the TUNE button and have the
          radio go directly to the frequency. It's still readable by humans on
          the screen as well.

          ;146.88-SS*111111z5255.83N/11351.13WrR60k VE6SS

          I'm also big into maximizing the information versus characters sent...

          PIGEON:!5257.28NS11352.50W#PHG5460/W2,..ABn,.PigeonLake.VE6PLP

          This packet gives the name of the site, the location, tells the user
          that it's a digipeater, tells user the recommended path in the area,
          what aliases it supports, the location name, and callsign.

          We use aliases, since it's easier for the user to look at a path used
          that says PIGEON, EVNBRG and visualize the locations, rather than
          VE6PLP,VE6YER. The status text on the end is packed and formatted into
          10X10X7 character groups to display nicely on the D7 and D700 screens.
          I have replaced spaces in the text with periods, because browsers
          remove double spaces...

          Sending "Monashee APRS Digi Mount Scaia" is a bit redundant... We know
          that the unit is an APRS digi, since it's on 144.39, and it should be
          using a digipeater icon. I'd probably look at using an alias of SCAIA,
          and then send this text on the end:

          W2,..BCn,.Mt.Scaia..VE7SMT.Monashee Ridge

          That conveys everything you have indicated above, and more. Of course
          you'll also want to set up the digipeater to act upon the current
          aliases properly. If you need help with that, we're here, just ask.
          I've set up quite a few digipeaters, and am working on getting the
          rest of the ones that I don't have access to in Alberta updated to the
          latest settings... a task that is taking far too many years!

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
            > We need to lobby Scott to allow us to set a volatile path in our
            > outgoing packets. I'd like to emulate the WIDE2-2 / LOCAL / LOCAL /
            > WIDE2-1 / LOCAL / LOCAL pattern that I set up for the Kantronics
            > outgoing proportional path, which I can do in the T2, but I have to

            No lobbying required, I'm well aware of the need. I just need to find
            an efficient way to do it. Right now the path is stored in the
            configuration in AX.25 format, and it's always transmitted directly from
            configuration memory. I have to decide if the script is going to store
            the path in plain text or AX.25 format, and tweak the AX.25 header code
            to handle it.

            Actually, it's the same bit of code that's the major hangup for some
            things like the local echo. Any change I make there has to be usable
            for both features.

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
              On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Scott Miller<scott@...> wrote:

              >> We need to lobby Scott to allow us to set a volatile path in our
              >
              > No lobbying required, I'm well aware of the need.  I just need to find
              > an efficient way to do it.

              Well, my kind of lobbying is a case of Coca-Cola, and a box of
              Twinkies... Get enough sugar in the bloodstream, and away he goes!

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                Cool! Now I have to go ask my T2-135 v1.2 boards what firmware I've got
                in them! I remember now seeing that posting from Scott about the timing
                recovery, but I didn't connect it back to my own boards. Thanks for the
                update (to you and Scott).

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - (T2-135s as -9 and -14)

                Mark Cheavens wrote:

                > There are actually two improvements for the T2-135. The first was on
                > the version2 board a de-emphasis filter was added. (I keep meaning to
                > order one).
                >
                > The second was hidden (In plain view:) ) in one of Scott's
                > announcements that he made some timing changes to improve decode
                > performance.
                >
                > (Remember I am talking about the T2-135 DECODING - Not other stations
                > decoding me).
                >
                > Mark
                > KC5EVE
                > At 10:08 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:
                >>

                >> I'm not sure how the latest build would have improved reception, but if
                >> anyone else is as curious as I was, I've generated coverage maps for
                >> KC5EVE for his travels on the 29th and 30th. You can see them at:
                >>
                >> http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*
                >>
                >> There are a few holes along the route, but when it had coverage, it had
                >> nice coverage!
                >>
                >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
                >>
                >> Mark Cheavens wrote:
                >> > On one of my "to do" lists has been to update the firmware in my
                >> > T2-135 to the "latest development build" (June 09) for a while.
                >> >
                >> > I finally got around to it AFTER a long trip (4k miles). The trip was
                >> > frustrating at how FEW packets got decoded. (displayed on the Nuvi)
                >> >
                >> > From my initial testing last night and this morning, all I can say
                >> > is WOW!!!! What an improvement! My normal drive before would result
                >> > in about 10% of the packets being decode and displayed, Now it
                >> > appears to be near 100%.
                >> >
                >> > (Now if we can just get timestamp of when the packet arrived into the
                >> > Nuvi............)
                >> >
                >> > As usual, great work Scott!
                >> >
                >> > Mark
                >> > KC5EVE

              • Mark Cheavens
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                  From a Nuvi send a message to: --ver

                  Mark
                  KC5EVE

                  Mark Cheavens wrote:

                  > There are actually two improvements for the T2-135. The first was on
                  > the version2 board a de-emphasis filter was added. (I keep meaning to
                  > order one).
                  >
                  > The second was hidden (In plain view:) ) in one of Scott's
                  > announcements that he made some timing changes to improve decode
                  > performance.
                  >
                  > (Remember I am talking about the T2-135 DECODING - Not other stations
                  > decoding me).
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > KC5EVE
                  > At 10:08 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:
                  >>

                  >> I'm not sure how the latest build would have improved reception, but if
                  >> anyone else is as curious as I was, I've generated coverage maps for
                  >> KC5EVE for his travels on the 29th and 30th. You can see them at:
                  >>
                  >> http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*
                  >>
                  >> There are a few holes along the route, but when it had coverage, it had
                  >> nice coverage!
                  >>
                  >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
                  >>
                  >> Mark Cheavens wrote:
                  >> > On one of my "to do" lists has been to update the firmware in my
                  >> > T2-135 to the "latest development build" (June 09) for a while.
                  >> >
                  >> > I finally got around to it AFTER a long trip (4k miles). The trip was
                  >> > frustrating at how FEW packets got decoded. (displayed on the Nuvi)
                  >> >
                  >> > From my initial testing last night and this morning, all I can say
                  >> > is WOW!!!! What an improvement! My normal drive before would result
                  >> > in about 10% of the packets being decode and displayed, Now it
                  >> > appears to be near 100%.
                  >> >
                  >> > (Now if we can just get timestamp of when the packet arrived into the
                  >> > Nuvi............)
                  >> >
                  >> > As usual, great work Scott!
                  >> >
                  >> > Mark
                  >> > KC5EVE

                • Mike Zwingl oe3mzc
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                    Scott,
                    will this build also fix the problems we have with several OT2m,
                    that do have severe problems with receive, even though the capacitor in the deemphasis filter is correct?

                    tnx
                    Mike
                    oe3mzc

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                      I'm not saying it'll solve everything, but it does help.

                      Scott

                      Mike Zwingl oe3mzc wrote:

                      > Scott,
                      > will this build also fix the problems we have with several OT2m,
                      > that do have severe problems with receive, even though the capacitor in
                      > the deemphasis filter is correct?
                      >
                      > tnx
                      > Mike
                      > oe3mzc

                    • Matt Lee
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                        Thanks for the help!

                        Is there a wiki page or anywhere else you can go to learn how to
                        configure the T2 for telemetry output.

                        Thanks! Matt. VE7MLX.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                          On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Matt Lee<ve7mlx@...> wrote:

                          > Is there a wiki page or anywhere else you can go to learn how to
                          > configure the T2 for telemetry output.

                          Not yet, but there soon will be. Configuring the unit to send
                          telemetry is pretty darned easy. You simply check a box in OTWINCFG,
                          and the put a number into another box to tell the unit how often to
                          send telemetry. There's also the TELEMETRY command line command as
                          well...

                          However, since I've been poking and playing, learning about telemetry,
                          it was my plan to add a Telemetry page to the wiki... looks like today
                          is the day!

                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                            James VE6SRV wrote...

                            > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Scripting#Multiple_Announcements
                            >
                            > I wrote this to send weekly announcements. It keeps track of the days
                            > to change announcements, but you can reduce it down to sending
                            > alternating announcements.

                            re the script for sending objects... I presume the T2 needs a GPS
                            connected to get the date / time so it knows when it's Tuesday?

                            On Second
                            Increment Counter 1 ;seconds
                            If Counter 1 = 600 ;10 mins
                            If Counter 3 = 3 ;Tuesday?
                            Exec "BEACON ;147.06-HM*111111z5331.59N/11320.77WrT100 R40k Net Tu700 Club Net"
                            End Block

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                              On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Keith VE7GDH<ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                              > re the script for sending objects... I presume the T2 needs a GPS
                              > connected to get the date / time so it knows when it's Tuesday?

                              Nope, I just keep track of the number of seconds that pass by. Because
                              the OT2m gets busy occasionally, the timing does slip a little bit.
                              It's not a Swiss watch by any means.

                              Now, the astute among you will realize that the counters need to be
                              zeroed at 00:00:00 Sunday morning to be on time. There's no way of
                              currently pulling time out of a GPS string, or even sniffing one out
                              of a timestamped APRS packet, so it requires a manual reset at
                              midnight.

                              However, one could write a script that would preset the counters to a
                              specific time and day, and then call that script at that time. As the
                              timing slips further out of sync, one could call the synchronising
                              script as need be.

                              For a script that simply dumps a string into the network every 10
                              minutes or so, it doesn't really matter if the clock slips slightly.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                                On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Matt Lee<ve7mlx@...> wrote:

                                > Is there a wiki page or anywhere else you can go to learn how to
                                > configure the T2 for telemetry output.

                                Here it is:

                                http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Telemetry

                                Please feel free to ask for clarification on anything, or edit the
                                page if you can describe something better, or have any extra
                                information.

                              • Matt Lee
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 14, 2009
                                  Thanks James!