Re: [tracker2] T2 Digi Tricks for local announcements

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
      Yes. Have you looked over the information on scripting?

      http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Scripting

      Scott

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
        I made some tweaks to the clock recovery code, so yes, the RX
        performance should be at least a little better.

        Scott

        Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        > I'm not sure how the latest build would have improved reception, but if
        > anyone else is as curious as I was, I've generated coverage maps for
        > KC5EVE for his travels on the 29th and 30th. You can see them at:
        >
        > http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*
        > <http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*>
        >
        > There are a few holes along the route, but when it had coverage, it had
        > nice coverage!
        >
        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
        >
        > Mark Cheavens wrote:
        > > On one of my "to do" lists has been to update the firmware in my
        > > T2-135 to the "latest development build" (June 09) for a while.
        > >
        > > I finally got around to it AFTER a long trip (4k miles). The trip was
        > > frustrating at how FEW packets got decoded. (displayed on the Nuvi)
        > >
        > > From my initial testing last night and this morning, all I can say
        > > is WOW!!!! What an improvement! My normal drive before would result
        > > in about 10% of the packets being decode and displayed, Now it
        > > appears to be near 100%.
        > >
        > > (Now if we can just get timestamp of when the packet arrived into the
        > > Nuvi............)
        > >
        > > As usual, great work Scott!
        > >
        > > Mark
        > > KC5EVE

      • Mark Cheavens
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
          There are actually two improvements for the T2-135. The first was on the version2 board a de-emphasis filter was added. (I keep meaning to order one).

          The second was hidden (In plain view:) ) in one of Scott's announcements that he made some timing changes to improve decode performance.

          (Remember I am talking about the T2-135 DECODING - Not other stations decoding me).

          Mark
          KC5EVE

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
            On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Matt Lee<ve7mlx@...> wrote:

            > I want to set-up a T2 as a Digi and I am wondering if anyone has a trick
            > for sending out local announcements with either a status text or a
            > separate (alternate) beacon text that is separate to the main beacon text.

            Have a look here:

            http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Scripting#Multiple_Announcements

            I wrote this to send weekly announcements. It keeps track of the days
            to change announcements, but you can reduce it down to sending
            alternating announcements.

            > Example:
            > Main Text:  Monashee APRS Digi Mount Scaia (Going out at Wide 2-2)
            > Local Announcement text: VE7SMT v146.740- t123.0 (Going out at Wide 2-1
            > or less)
            >
            > This might be possible with an automatic change in profiles. Can you
            > change profiles automatically after a beacon with a macro or built in timer?

            You would have to change profiles in order to change the path. If you
            change the path from the script, it requires a write to the flash
            memory, which after extended use will wear out.

            We need to lobby Scott to allow us to set a volatile path in our
            outgoing packets. I'd like to emulate the WIDE2-2 / LOCAL / LOCAL /
            WIDE2-1 / LOCAL / LOCAL pattern that I set up for the Kantronics
            outgoing proportional path, which I can do in the T2, but I have to
            keep writing the path to change where I send to. If we have the
            ability to specify a path with scripting that doesn't get saved, we
            have more options available.

            This would also be useful for sending other packets as well. I'd like
            to direct TELEMETRY packets down a specified path, rather than over
            the default path. My telemetry data needs to go over a couple hops to
            get where I need it, but I don't need to send it in all directions. If
            I could specify a path for the telemetry such as VIA EVNBRG,PIGEON, it
            would limit the impact on neighboring digipeaters. That would mean I
            also have a means of initiating a telemetry packet from scripting as
            well though.

            BTW, I'd send that voice repeater information out as a voice object,
            so that your users with D710s can hit the TUNE button and have the
            radio go directly to the frequency. It's still readable by humans on
            the screen as well.

            ;146.88-SS*111111z5255.83N/11351.13WrR60k VE6SS

            I'm also big into maximizing the information versus characters sent...

            PIGEON:!5257.28NS11352.50W#PHG5460/W2,..ABn,.PigeonLake.VE6PLP

            This packet gives the name of the site, the location, tells the user
            that it's a digipeater, tells user the recommended path in the area,
            what aliases it supports, the location name, and callsign.

            We use aliases, since it's easier for the user to look at a path used
            that says PIGEON, EVNBRG and visualize the locations, rather than
            VE6PLP,VE6YER. The status text on the end is packed and formatted into
            10X10X7 character groups to display nicely on the D7 and D700 screens.
            I have replaced spaces in the text with periods, because browsers
            remove double spaces...

            Sending "Monashee APRS Digi Mount Scaia" is a bit redundant... We know
            that the unit is an APRS digi, since it's on 144.39, and it should be
            using a digipeater icon. I'd probably look at using an alias of SCAIA,
            and then send this text on the end:

            W2,..BCn,.Mt.Scaia..VE7SMT.Monashee Ridge

            That conveys everything you have indicated above, and more. Of course
            you'll also want to set up the digipeater to act upon the current
            aliases properly. If you need help with that, we're here, just ask.
            I've set up quite a few digipeaters, and am working on getting the
            rest of the ones that I don't have access to in Alberta updated to the
            latest settings... a task that is taking far too many years!

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
              > We need to lobby Scott to allow us to set a volatile path in our
              > outgoing packets. I'd like to emulate the WIDE2-2 / LOCAL / LOCAL /
              > WIDE2-1 / LOCAL / LOCAL pattern that I set up for the Kantronics
              > outgoing proportional path, which I can do in the T2, but I have to

              No lobbying required, I'm well aware of the need. I just need to find
              an efficient way to do it. Right now the path is stored in the
              configuration in AX.25 format, and it's always transmitted directly from
              configuration memory. I have to decide if the script is going to store
              the path in plain text or AX.25 format, and tweak the AX.25 header code
              to handle it.

              Actually, it's the same bit of code that's the major hangup for some
              things like the local echo. Any change I make there has to be usable
              for both features.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Scott Miller<scott@...> wrote:

                >> We need to lobby Scott to allow us to set a volatile path in our
                >
                > No lobbying required, I'm well aware of the need.  I just need to find
                > an efficient way to do it.

                Well, my kind of lobbying is a case of Coca-Cola, and a box of
                Twinkies... Get enough sugar in the bloodstream, and away he goes!

              • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                  Cool! Now I have to go ask my T2-135 v1.2 boards what firmware I've got
                  in them! I remember now seeing that posting from Scott about the timing
                  recovery, but I didn't connect it back to my own boards. Thanks for the
                  update (to you and Scott).

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - (T2-135s as -9 and -14)

                  Mark Cheavens wrote:

                  > There are actually two improvements for the T2-135. The first was on
                  > the version2 board a de-emphasis filter was added. (I keep meaning to
                  > order one).
                  >
                  > The second was hidden (In plain view:) ) in one of Scott's
                  > announcements that he made some timing changes to improve decode
                  > performance.
                  >
                  > (Remember I am talking about the T2-135 DECODING - Not other stations
                  > decoding me).
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > KC5EVE
                  > At 10:08 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:
                  >>

                  >> I'm not sure how the latest build would have improved reception, but if
                  >> anyone else is as curious as I was, I've generated coverage maps for
                  >> KC5EVE for his travels on the 29th and 30th. You can see them at:
                  >>
                  >> http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*
                  >>
                  >> There are a few holes along the route, but when it had coverage, it had
                  >> nice coverage!
                  >>
                  >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
                  >>
                  >> Mark Cheavens wrote:
                  >> > On one of my "to do" lists has been to update the firmware in my
                  >> > T2-135 to the "latest development build" (June 09) for a while.
                  >> >
                  >> > I finally got around to it AFTER a long trip (4k miles). The trip was
                  >> > frustrating at how FEW packets got decoded. (displayed on the Nuvi)
                  >> >
                  >> > From my initial testing last night and this morning, all I can say
                  >> > is WOW!!!! What an improvement! My normal drive before would result
                  >> > in about 10% of the packets being decode and displayed, Now it
                  >> > appears to be near 100%.
                  >> >
                  >> > (Now if we can just get timestamp of when the packet arrived into the
                  >> > Nuvi............)
                  >> >
                  >> > As usual, great work Scott!
                  >> >
                  >> > Mark
                  >> > KC5EVE

                • Mark Cheavens
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                    From a Nuvi send a message to: --ver

                    Mark
                    KC5EVE

                    Mark Cheavens wrote:

                    > There are actually two improvements for the T2-135. The first was on
                    > the version2 board a de-emphasis filter was added. (I keep meaning to
                    > order one).
                    >
                    > The second was hidden (In plain view:) ) in one of Scott's
                    > announcements that he made some timing changes to improve decode
                    > performance.
                    >
                    > (Remember I am talking about the T2-135 DECODING - Not other stations
                    > decoding me).
                    >
                    > Mark
                    > KC5EVE
                    > At 10:08 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:
                    >>

                    >> I'm not sure how the latest build would have improved reception, but if
                    >> anyone else is as curious as I was, I've generated coverage maps for
                    >> KC5EVE for his travels on the 29th and 30th. You can see them at:
                    >>
                    >> http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Requests/KC5EVE*
                    >>
                    >> There are a few holes along the route, but when it had coverage, it had
                    >> nice coverage!
                    >>
                    >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
                    >>
                    >> Mark Cheavens wrote:
                    >> > On one of my "to do" lists has been to update the firmware in my
                    >> > T2-135 to the "latest development build" (June 09) for a while.
                    >> >
                    >> > I finally got around to it AFTER a long trip (4k miles). The trip was
                    >> > frustrating at how FEW packets got decoded. (displayed on the Nuvi)
                    >> >
                    >> > From my initial testing last night and this morning, all I can say
                    >> > is WOW!!!! What an improvement! My normal drive before would result
                    >> > in about 10% of the packets being decode and displayed, Now it
                    >> > appears to be near 100%.
                    >> >
                    >> > (Now if we can just get timestamp of when the packet arrived into the
                    >> > Nuvi............)
                    >> >
                    >> > As usual, great work Scott!
                    >> >
                    >> > Mark
                    >> > KC5EVE

                  • Mike Zwingl oe3mzc
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                      Scott,
                      will this build also fix the problems we have with several OT2m,
                      that do have severe problems with receive, even though the capacitor in the deemphasis filter is correct?

                      tnx
                      Mike
                      oe3mzc

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                        I'm not saying it'll solve everything, but it does help.

                        Scott

                        Mike Zwingl oe3mzc wrote:

                        > Scott,
                        > will this build also fix the problems we have with several OT2m,
                        > that do have severe problems with receive, even though the capacitor in
                        > the deemphasis filter is correct?
                        >
                        > tnx
                        > Mike
                        > oe3mzc

                      • Matt Lee
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                          Thanks for the help!

                          Is there a wiki page or anywhere else you can go to learn how to
                          configure the T2 for telemetry output.

                          Thanks! Matt. VE7MLX.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                            On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Matt Lee<ve7mlx@...> wrote:

                            > Is there a wiki page or anywhere else you can go to learn how to
                            > configure the T2 for telemetry output.

                            Not yet, but there soon will be. Configuring the unit to send
                            telemetry is pretty darned easy. You simply check a box in OTWINCFG,
                            and the put a number into another box to tell the unit how often to
                            send telemetry. There's also the TELEMETRY command line command as
                            well...

                            However, since I've been poking and playing, learning about telemetry,
                            it was my plan to add a Telemetry page to the wiki... looks like today
                            is the day!

                          • Keith VE7GDH
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                              James VE6SRV wrote...

                              > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Scripting#Multiple_Announcements
                              >
                              > I wrote this to send weekly announcements. It keeps track of the days
                              > to change announcements, but you can reduce it down to sending
                              > alternating announcements.

                              re the script for sending objects... I presume the T2 needs a GPS
                              connected to get the date / time so it knows when it's Tuesday?

                              On Second
                              Increment Counter 1 ;seconds
                              If Counter 1 = 600 ;10 mins
                              If Counter 3 = 3 ;Tuesday?
                              Exec "BEACON ;147.06-HM*111111z5331.59N/11320.77WrT100 R40k Net Tu700 Club Net"
                              End Block

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                                On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Keith VE7GDH<ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                > re the script for sending objects... I presume the T2 needs a GPS
                                > connected to get the date / time so it knows when it's Tuesday?

                                Nope, I just keep track of the number of seconds that pass by. Because
                                the OT2m gets busy occasionally, the timing does slip a little bit.
                                It's not a Swiss watch by any means.

                                Now, the astute among you will realize that the counters need to be
                                zeroed at 00:00:00 Sunday morning to be on time. There's no way of
                                currently pulling time out of a GPS string, or even sniffing one out
                                of a timestamped APRS packet, so it requires a manual reset at
                                midnight.

                                However, one could write a script that would preset the counters to a
                                specific time and day, and then call that script at that time. As the
                                timing slips further out of sync, one could call the synchronising
                                script as need be.

                                For a script that simply dumps a string into the network every 10
                                minutes or so, it doesn't really matter if the clock slips slightly.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                                  On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Matt Lee<ve7mlx@...> wrote:

                                  > Is there a wiki page or anywhere else you can go to learn how to
                                  > configure the T2 for telemetry output.

                                  Here it is:

                                  http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Telemetry

                                  Please feel free to ask for clarification on anything, or edit the
                                  page if you can describe something better, or have any extra
                                  information.

                                • Matt Lee
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 14, 2009
                                    Thanks James!