D710 & GTRANS

  • ke7kus
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2009
      My mobile setup is a D710 using a GTRANS cable into a Nuvi 350. I run A-band as my APRS side on the 710. When I monitor 144.39 the system works as advertised, but when I switch over to 445.925 and monitor the UHF APRS channel, received stations show up on the D710 list, but aren't plotted on the Nuvi 350 display. Has anyone else tinkered with this or experienced the same issue?

      Kurt
      KE7KUS
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2009
        > My mobile setup is a D710 using a GTRANS cable into a Nuvi 350. I run A-band
        > as my APRS side on the 710. When I monitor 144.39 the system works as
        > advertised, but when I switch over to 445.925 and monitor the UHF APRS
        > channel, received stations show up on the D710 list, but aren't plotted on
        > the Nuvi 350 display. Has anyone else tinkered with this or experienced the
        > same issue?
        >
        > Kurt
        > KE7KUS

        This sounds very much like the problem I was having. Using the 144.350
        MHz 9600 baud network here (comprised of mostly D700/D710 digipeaters
        in packet mode), the digipeaters weren't plotted on the Nuvi. Scott
        traced it to, I believe, an error parsing a null altitude field as
        opposed to a 0 altitude, and the problem was fixed with a firmware
        update. Scott emailed me the firmware update software and the cable is
        simple to build--just a DB9 with pins 2/3/5 connected to a 2.5mm
        stereo plug.

        Tom KD7LXL