Thank you to group!

  • spencerhamons
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 10:06 AM
      I wanted to send a thank you to all of you on this group. I am a HAM in Bethel, AK (way out in the bush), and our local club is working to enable APRS in our area. Since there are no roads between towns to speak of, most of our long distance travel is done via boat in the summer or snow machine in the winter. As you can imagine, a lot of folks get lost, and families are always looking to figure out where people are when out on trips.

      I have learned a lot going through all the information you guys have put out on this bulletin board. I have an Alino radio on my snowmachine and on my boat, and my plan is to put in the T2-135 into those radios. I wasn't sure what path I was going to take, but knowing that this group exists and looking at the quality of the posts you interact with, I know the product I am going to be using!

      I will probably order my first T2-135 after next payday and get to playing with it!

      Thanks everyone,

      Spencer Hamons
      Bethel, AK
      http://itpodcast.org/blog
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 1:59 PM
        I don't know if Scott has any of the older boards left, but make sure
        you ask for a v1.2 T2-135. In my experience, they receive MUCH better
        than the earlier boards.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        PS. Do you have any APRS activity there now that we can look up with a
        callsign to see where you are geographically?

        spencerhamons wrote:
        > I wanted to send a thank you to all of you on this group. I am a HAM in Bethel, AK (way out in the bush), and our local club is working to enable APRS in our area. Since there are no roads between towns to speak of, most of our long distance travel is done via boat in the summer or snow machine in the winter. As you can imagine, a lot of folks get lost, and families are always looking to figure out where people are when out on trips.
        >
        > I have learned a lot going through all the information you guys have put out on this bulletin board. I have an Alino radio on my snowmachine and on my boat, and my plan is to put in the T2-135 into those radios. I wasn't sure what path I was going to take, but knowing that this group exists and looking at the quality of the posts you interact with, I know the product I am going to be using!
        >
        > I will probably order my first T2-135 after next payday and get to playing with it!
        >
        > Thanks everyone,
        >
        > Spencer Hamons
        > Bethel, AK
        > http://itpodcast.org/blog

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 2:08 PM
          APRS.FI shows none, zero, zip, activity in and around Bethel. Looks like fresh territory! Closest activity in is  Homer and Kenai. It will be fun!

          Best regards,
          Fred

          spencerhamons wrote:
          > I wanted to send a thank you to all of you on this group. I am a HAM in Bethel, AK (way out in the bush), and our local club is working to enable APRS in our area. Since there are no roads between towns to speak of, most of our long distance travel is done via boat in the summer or snow machine in the winter. As you can imagine, a lot of folks get lost, and families are always looking to figure out where people are when out on trips.
          >
          > I have learned a lot going through all the information you guys have put out on this bulletin board. I have an Alino radio on my snowmachine and on my boat, and my plan is to put in the T2-135 into those radios. I wasn't sure what path I was going to take, but knowing that this group exists and looking at the quality of the posts you interact with, I know the product I am going to be using!
          >
          > I will probably order my first T2-135 after next payday and get to playing with it!
          >
          > Thanks everyone,
          >
          > Spencer Hamons
          > Bethel, AK
          > http://itpodcast. org/blog

        • spencerhamons
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 2:43 PM
            I am KL2RA, but have no APRS activity to show right now. The only thing we have at this point is a placeholder for AL7YK. We are lucky that one of our members is the chief engineer for our only radio station in town, and that gets us access to their tower (and 215 feet of elevation) for our repeater antennas.

            The group for the most part has been old time HAMs, but that is changing as some of us younger guys are pushing for packets, digital, APRS, AVRS, etc. It has been an interesting dynamic around with that coming around.

            If you are interested, our club website is at http://al7yk.org . You are all welcome to create an account and post anything you like.

            Thanks for the heads-up on the version 1.2 of the board. I'm getting excited and decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and order my board today (I'll tell the wife over the weekend). Any other words of wisdom about the T2-135 I should know about?

            Thanks again everyone.

            Spencer Hamons - KL2RA

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

            > APRS.FI shows none, zero, zip, activity in and around Bethel. Looks like
            > fresh territory! Closest activity in is Homer and Kenai. It will be fun!
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Fred
            >

            > _____

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
              Spencer KL2RA wrote...

              > Any other words of wisdom about the T2-135 I should know about?

              A nice addition for the T2-135 would be a Garmin Nuvi 350 and the Garmin
              010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable. That would give you two way APRS message
              capability and you would be able to see all APRS activity around you on
              the GPS. You can also reprogram the T2 from the on-screen keyboard on
              the GPS. Make sure it is the Nuvi 350 and not one of the other flavours.
              Garmin isn't churning them out any more, but they are still available.
              Look for recent mentions on this list.

              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Joe Glinski
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
                Randy,
                Will the 010-10813-00 Mini-B data cable work with the OpenTracker+ ?
                Thanks for your help.
                KG9B, Joe
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
                  No, the OT1+ doesn't have enough memory for the Garmin protocol.

                  Scott