weather board

  • Deepsouth Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
      Sounds like you are on the right track. Definetly want to be able to read humidity....and a good weather tight case with the ability to handle high temps. The accuracy of the sensor readings (like temp in direct sun) is more important than fancy expensive gear. If one knows the life expectancy of components one can easily work in maintenace and replacement schedules. A nice direct line to the Tracker 2 would be great. Question...With a weather station plugged in directly is the data transmitted separately from say Uiview data that could be transmitted from another weather station + digi + Igate traffic? (Can u run a full uiview output as well as a direct wired weather station at the same time?)
      Bob KE5JJC

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
        I should be able to conformally coat everything but the sensors and
        connectors, and the way I laid out the board it should be possible to
        put in a partition that'd split the ported sensor area from the rest of
        the guts. You'll still need some protection on the screw terminals and
        such.

        The humidity sensor is supposed to be able to recover instantly from
        long periods of saturation, which is good - I know people have
        complained about that in other sensors.

        I'm not sure I follow your question about UI-View. Plugged in directly
        to what?

        Scott

        Deepsouth Bob wrote:

        > Sounds like you are on the right track. Definetly want to be able to
        > read humidity....and a good weather tight case with the ability to
        > handle high temps. The accuracy of the sensor readings (like temp in
        > direct sun) is more important than fancy expensive gear. If one knows
        > the life expectancy of components one can easily work in maintenace and
        > replacement schedules. A nice direct line to the Tracker 2 would be
        > great. Question...With a weather station plugged in directly is the data
        > transmitted separately from say Uiview data that could be
        > transmitted from another weather station + digi + Igate traffic? (Can u
        > run a full uiview output as well as a direct wired weather station at
        > the same time?)
        > Bob KE5JJC

      • zl1vfo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
          > Deepsouth Bob wrote:

          ~ Snip ~

          > > great. Question...With a weather station plugged in directly is the data
          > > transmitted separately from say Uiview data that could be
          > > transmitted from another weather station + digi + Igate traffic? (Can u
          > > run a full uiview output as well as a direct wired weather station at
          > > the same time?)
          > > Bob KE5JJC

          ~Snip~

          > I'm not sure I follow your question about UI-View. Plugged in directly
          > to what?
          >
          > Scott

          My take on what he would be asking is, could there be a way to connect the serial out of the weather station to a PC running UIView, and possibly have the WX station output a serial string that UIView would work with natively - perhaps a something that looks like a WX packet received from another station over the air - maybe TNC2 format.

          Then you wouldn't need to run any 3rd party software to convert from WX stn format to something UIView can do something with.

          The Wx station would need to hold the transmission interval, FromCall, ToCall, Path, and possibly a (short) comment that it wraps around the Wx (& potentially telemetry) data transmitted.

          I'd go slightly further and have the option for a packet that I could inject into a T2 (KISS packet maybe?) and let it send it out. I guess at the end of the day it's all just serial data - just depends on code space and coding time...

          -Ian ZL1VFO
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
            > My take on what he would be asking is, could there be a way to connect
            > the serial out of the weather station to a PC running UIView, and
            > possibly have the WX station output a serial string that UIView would
            > work with natively - perhaps a something that looks like a WX packet
            > received from another station over the air - maybe TNC2 format.

            What stations does UIView support? I was planning to have it put out at
            least Peet Bros format.

            > I'd go slightly further and have the option for a packet that I could
            > inject into a T2 (KISS packet maybe?) and let it send it out. I guess at
            > the end of the day it's all just serial data - just depends on code
            > space and coding time...

            Again, with Peet Bros format the T2 will work with it as-is.

            Scott
          • John Galvin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
              From the UI-View Help page;

              KEY POINTS

              1. To transmit a WX beacon, you must be running some sort of software on your PC that either gets information from a weather station or takes manually input data, and outputs it into a file in the correct format. UI-View32 does not directly support any sort of weather station. See Weather Data Format for more information.

              WX data file - Usually this will be a text file, made available by some other software, which contains the WX beacon information. (See "KEY POINT 1" above.)

              However, it can also be a program that will create the wx text file. UI-View32 decides which it is by looking at the file extension. If the file extension is EXE, COM, BAT, VBS or JS, then UI-View32 will run the program, wait for it to finish executing, then look for a similarly named TXT file that it has created. An example will make this more obvious -

              If the wx data file is C:\WX\WXNOW.EXE then UI-View32 will run it and look for C:\WX\WXNOW.TXT which WXNOW.EXE must create.

              NOTE - UI-View32 will wait for a maximum of 15 seconds for the program to finish executing.

              Weather Data Format
              Here, between the two lines of '*'s is the format of the file your wx software needs to create (the lines of '*'s are not part of the file).

              Jun 01 2003 08:07
              272/000g006t069r010p030P020h61b10150

              272 - wind direction - 272 degrees
              010 - wind speed - 10 mph

              g015 - wind gust - 15 mph
              t069 - temperature - 69 degrees F
              r010 - rain in last hour in hundredths of an inch - 0.1 inches
              p030 - rain in last 24 hours in hundredths of an inch - 0.3 inches
              P020 - rain since midnight in hundredths of an inch - 0.2 inches
              h61 - humidity 61% (00 = 100%)
              b10153 - barometric pressure in tenths of a millibar - 1015.3 millibars

              The first line is the time the file was created in local PC time. Please note that the day of the month, the hour and the minute must be padded to two digits with zeros if needed, so this would be wrong - Jun 1 2003 8:7.

              The second line is the wx report, in the format used in APRS "complete weather reports".

              Not all the values need to be sent, but you should at least include wind direction, windspeed, wind gust and temperature. If any of them are not available, then replace the value with three dots - "..."

              If humidity and temperature are included, then a UI-View32 system receiving the beacon will also calculate and display dew point temperature. If temperature and wind speed are included, then a UI-View system receiving it will also calculate and display wind chill temperature.

              73, John - N5TIM
              John Galvin - N5TIM
              http://www.qsl.net/n5tim for Public Service Info
              http://www.garlandraces.net/

              JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - Junk we keep!

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009

                > > What stations does UIView support? I was planning to have it put out at
                > > least Peet Bros format.
                > >
                > > > I'd go slightly further and have the option for a packet that I could
                > > > inject into a T2 (KISS packet maybe?) and let it send it out. I
                > > guess at
                > > > the end of the day it's all just serial data - just depends on code
                > > > space and coding time...
                > >
                > > Again, with Peet Bros format the T2 will work with it as-is.
                > >
                > > Scott

                As John N5TIM showed, UIView doesn't support a Wx Stn directly, it's only by the use of a 'shim' program dropping a file containing the correctly formatted Wx content somewhere on the Hard Drive, and then telling UIView to go look at that file that allows UIView to interface to a connected Wx Stn.

                Where I was going was that as UIView can display Wx data contained in an APRS packet, be it from over the air, or from the 'net, why not just send a suitably crafted packet to UIView via the serial port - it would display it just like any other, and you could get UIView to gate it to the Net, or squirt it back to a TNC for Tx over RF.

                I would expect other APRS programs should be able to use the serial data as well, so it shouldn't be limited to just one app.

                ~~

                On a separate note, how is the wind direction determined? I still have a number of anemometers from WX200/WM918 Wx Stns here - they use 360 deg 10k pots in them so I could wire them up as a voltage divider (i.e. ~0 Volts = 0 degrees, ~5 Volts = 359 degrees)

                -Ian ZL1VFO